2 years old but still fearsome!

Home Forums General Members’ Cars 2 years old but still fearsome!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author

JohnD
    Participant

UK - England

I see you use Castrol Edge 5/50  Is this the Ford specified grade where you are? (I believe 5/50 is specified in the US?)  Here in the UK the specified grade is 0/40

JohnD

blechdosenbill
    Participant

Germany

What a great write up. Very Entertaining read. Very cool is the fitment between the strutbrace and the intake. I also have the Ford Performance Strutbrace but with Stock intake which is already a tight fit. Cool to See your detailing Mate uses a Microfiber Madness Incredimitt.

The founder of Microfiber Madness is a good friend of mine. Really cool Company.

Matt. B
    Participant

UK - England

Enjoyed reading all that thank you. Im now off to research that carbon strut brace. Looks lovely

440bhp

443lbft

rainydays
    Participant

Luxembourg

@JohnD

I see you use Castrol Edge 5/50  Is this the Ford specified grade where you are? (I believe 5/50 is specified in the US?)  Here in the UK the specified grade is 0/40

Thank you for your post. The 5W-50 from the Ford GT has all the necessary certifications from FoMoCo to be used in the RS. When Ford released the RS, they stated that both 5W-50 and 0w-40 can be used provided they have the necessary.

The differences between the two oils is quite large in terms of viscosity at low temperatures so you have to be very careful when you drive cold with it. I don’t enter boost or exceed 2500 rpm until my oil temperature gets to the first marker 75-80 centigrade.

When it comes to viscosity and lubrication at high temperatures, I will admit that the 0W-40 from Castrol holds its own quite well. What I was looking at when I chose the 5w-50 was longevity and shearing. The 5W-50 has better resistance to shearing than 0w-40.

@Matt
    .B

Enjoyed reading all that thank you. Im now off to research that carbon strut brace. Looks lovely.

Thanks for the read!

It is a nice addition and a pain to install. My mechanic had to be a wizard just like Harry to make it fit without damaging my Revo Carbon intake.

Nitrous Blue Dyno Tuned @ 600 NM | Wagner Tuning – Competition IC | REVO Carbon CAI 

HJS 200 Cell Sportkat Remus Cat-back | SS Black Chrome Tailpipes

Fischer-Hydraulik SS Brake Lines | Endless RF 650 Brake Fluid | Endless ME20 Pads F+R (squeak king)

Rotors: TSP XG150 – DBA 5000 T3 SLOT | DBA 4000 T3 SLOT | Suspension: MR – KW Clubsport 2 way with H&R ARB F+R

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by rainydays.

rainydays
    Participant

Luxembourg

The one with the Early Spring In February 2020!

PART 1

Spring is here or at least looks like it. What better time to make an update than one day after a full revision? I originally did not want to write this because my dealership massacred my wallet and I got a sour taste now.

Every February, like clockwork, I take my car to my dealership. I tell myself the bill is a small price to pay for long term but as of last year the bill is bigger than Wakanda and that is saying something.

Unlike many, I do not have a mechanical inclination to fix my car. I can diagnose, I got a good way to understand what is not working and I know how my car works. I can sit down with a pint and bore you with Caster, Camber and ambient influence on boost but when it comes to opening things up and fixing them; I stay away if it is not a computer. Sort of like, if I can’t swim, I stay away from the pool. Luckily I can swim so I go swimming often :).

It seemed like a normal day, I woke up and wait a second. This is not how the story begins. I think we need to go back a few weeks. Remember that old post where someone decided to use my car as chewits? Yes, that one. Did you notice how weird my front rotors looked? Well they suffered and after almost 13.000 miles they had to go.

One of the main reasons was safety. EBC Mountune Grooved discs have a minimum thickness of 23mm. I was a shy over that and the thinner the disc, the less it can dissipate heat. As a diligent pupil I did some research for my new discs. I spent a few sleepless nights looking at products left and right. I originally narrowed down my list to:

1. StopTech floating

2. GiroDisc floating

3. Tarox F2000

4. DBA – floating

5. EBC – floating

As StopTech was not available in Europe and GiroDisc did not have a rear set, I discarded them. I was left with Tarox, DBA, and EBC. Reading a bit more and not looking the design of the Tarox these went away. I was left with DBA and EBC. The EBC I was looking at did not have a rear set so I chose DBA. I did some additional research and I pulled the trigger.

I went on the DBA website, I found my rear rotors but Front Rotors were out of stock. I looked around and found a shop, Amber Performance. They did not mention any stock issue so I pulled the trigger. The day I made the order I received a confirmation from DBA that my rotors are not in stock and they have to be shipped from Australia. They kept their word and even with wildfires, my rotors were built on the 8th of January 2020 and in my house in 4 days after a quick stop by Poland where the Europe HQ for DBA is situated.

Amber performance on the other hand were not what I expected. They needed constant follow-ups for them to tell me stuff that was not true. I knew the discs were shipped to Amber performance as the guy from DBA Poland told me they distribute in Europe. My rotors were built on the 8th of January 2020 and shipped to Amber Performance at mid-January and these guys sent them to me at the end of January. One thing is for certain, I will not order from them again. One time they told me the rotors are on the road for two days but could not give me a tracking number and then when I finally got one they were in the warehouse.

When I finally got the 22 kg package, the DBA boxes were busted on both rotors. They were quickly patched with tape. This never happened with my rear rotors.

Nitrous Blue Dyno Tuned @ 600 NM | Wagner Tuning – Competition IC | REVO Carbon CAI 

Fischer-Hydraulik SS Brake Lines | Endless RF 650 Brake Fluid | Endless ME20 Pads F+R (squeak king)

Rotors: TSP XG150 – DBA 5000 T3 SLOT | DBA 4000 T3 SLOT | Suspension: MR – KW Clubsport 2 way with H&R ARB F+R

rainydays
    Participant

Luxembourg

PART 1

Spring is here or at least looks like it. What better time to make an update than one day after a full revision? I originally did not want to write this because my dealership massacred my wallet and I got a sour taste now.

Every February, like clockwork, I take my car to my dealership. I tell myself the bill is a small price to pay for long term but as of last year the bill is bigger than Wakanda and that is saying something.

Unlike many, I do not have a mechanical inclination to fix my car. I can diagnose, I got a good way to understand what is not working and I know how my car works. I can sit down with a pint and bore you with Caster, Camber and ambient influence on boost but when it comes to opening things up and fixing them; I stay away if it is not a computer. Sort of like, if I can’t swim, I stay away from the pool. Luckily I can swim so I go swimming often :).

It seemed like a normal day, I woke up and wait a second. This is not how the story begins. I think we need to go back a few weeks. Remember that old post where someone decided to use my car as chewits? Yes, that one. Did you notice how weird my front rotors looked? Well they suffered and after almost 13.000 miles they had to go.

One of the main reasons was safety. EBC Mountune Grooved discs have a minimum thickness of 23mm. I was a shy over that and the thinner the disc, the less it can dissipate heat. As a diligent pupil I did some research for my new discs. I spent a few sleepless nights looking at products left and right. I originally narrowed down my list to:

1. StopTech floating

2. GiroDisc floating

3. Tarox F2000

4. DBA – floating

5. EBC – floating

As StopTech was not available in Europe and GiroDisc did not have a rear set, I discarded them. I was left with Tarox, DBA, and EBC. Reading a bit more and not looking the design of the Tarox these went away. I was left with DBA and EBC. The EBC I was looking at did not have a rear set so I chose DBA. I did some additional research and I pulled the trigger.

I went on the DBA website, I found my rear rotors but Front Rotors were out of stock. I looked around and found a shop, Amber Performance. They did not mention any stock issue so I pulled the trigger. The day I made the order I received a confirmation from DBA that my rotors are not in stock and they have to be shipped from Australia. They kept their word and even with wildfires, my rotors were built on the 8th of January 2020 and in my house in 4 days after a quick stop by Poland where the Europe HQ for DBA is situated.

Amber performance on the other hand were not what I expected. They needed constant follow-ups for them to tell me stuff that was not true. I knew the discs were shipped to Amber performance as the guy from DBA Poland told me they distribute in Europe. My rotors were built on the 8th of January 2020 and shipped to Amber Performance at mid-January and these guys sent them to me at the end of January. One thing is for certain, I will not order from them again. One time they told me the rotors are on the road for two days but could not give me a tracking number and then when I finally got one they were in the warehouse.

When I finally got the 22 kg package, the DBA boxes were busted on both rotors. They were quickly patched with tape. This never happened with my rear rotors.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by rainydays. Reason: Can't post properly!
    • This reply was modified 4 years ago by Kenny.

rainydays
    Participant

Luxembourg

Part 2 – With great Rotors, comes the need for Great Brake Pads

I do not know what is going on with the forum. I had an issue for months where my posts show up and disappear. I then add it again and it does not show up. Then I log in, log out and both posts will show up. Weird issues with the forums.. Very helpful chap and he is working overtime to help me out.

I have a weakness for Endless brake pads, more specifically for the ME-20. I love this pad and contrary to what many think, the cold bite is quite good. Once they are warm they are godlike. They will melt your face. Suffice it to say, I went for the same pads knowing very well that my wheels will look like a scene from Interstellar where dust is everywhere on the table and furniture.

I ordered a pair for the Front and for the Rear. I put the order on the 31st of December 2019 and I got a notification from the shop that these are not in stock. They have contacted Endless AB Stockholm which is the European Supplier for Endless and they had to make a specific order for my car in Japan. They said 3-4 weeks. As I had no choice in the matter but wait, I decided to order my favourite brake fluid from one of the nicest shops in the UK. In 2 days I had the goodies as they just received a fresh batch manufactured in January 2020.

Nothing went as it should but hey, after a long wait, everything arrived:

1.    Rear Rotors

2.    Brake Fluid

3.    Endless ME-20

4.    Front Rotors

Front Rotors : 2 piece DBA T3 5000 Series 25 mm

REAR ROTORS: 1 piece DBA T3 4000 Series 11mm

rainydays
    Participant

Luxembourg

What a great write up. Very Entertaining read. Very cool is the fitment between the strutbrace and the intake. I also have the Ford Performance Strutbrace but with Stock intake which is already a tight fit. Cool to See your detailing Mate uses a Microfiber Madness Incredimitt.

The founder of Microfiber Madness is a good friend of mine. Really cool Company.

Nice one! I buy my car cleaning products from autopfledge24.de. Amazing shop and they always give me Haribo with my order *haha*.

rainydays
    Participant

Luxembourg

The one with the itch that I had to scratch and it did not work out …

From the moment I bought the car I was surprised to see such cheap mats on the inside. They were not what I expected. Of course, the flood gates were open by Mountune and everyone and their dog got mountune or those rubber fancy ones.

I saw a seller for something I wanted and the price prevented me from getting them. I kept spending money on consumables to maintain the car but kind of neglected this itch. For New Year’s I decided to treat my desire to replace my mats.

I contacted the shop and made the order. As soon as they came back from their New Year’s break they got in touch and asked me the model of the car. I explained everything, including the type (LHD vs RHD). To avoid confusion I sent a picture and explained everything.

The shop was very helpful and super nice. They hand made the mats for me and I got them in less than a week. I was super happy and wanted to put them in the car but never had a bit of sunshine to hoover the car. It was raining constantly and as soon as the rain stopped I cleaned the car with special carpet products. It was so juicy inside you could sleep in there and be spoiled.

So I take the new mats, I go down to my car. I put the rear mats, they were superb. Also had a tear but told myself to keep it for later. I then moved to the front mats and tried the passenger side. My first issue with this was the length. It was not fitting and it was hitting the foot well areas. In addition, I could not plug the carpet to the plastic boobies on the floor of the car. The holes were not in the right place. Plug one hole, the other could not fit.

I then tried the driver side and my tear of joy I kept for this moment turned into a tear of sadness. The mat was completely off. It was not matching at all. The holes were not correct and the design was so weird it was not sliding in the right places.

I contacted the seller and told them: ‘Houston we have a problem’. They asked for some evidence and then requested that I flip the carpets so to see if the design fits. I did as instructed but it was obvious the carpets were not for my car. I then started my new career in architecture and passed on the information to the seller. It has been a week and they gave me radio silence. I decided to contact them today and they all of a sudden realized they need to check with their warehouse.

18stealth
    Participant

UK - England

Some good reading.

blechdosenbill
    Participant

Germany

Thank you for the Updates.

Autopflege24.net is only 10 miles away from me so i stop there at least twice a month 🙂

rainydays
    Participant

Luxembourg

The one with COVID-19 …

Today should have been the big day where I wrap up my RS project. The Powers That Be decided to put them on hold with this uncommon situation. I hope everyone is safe and sound. The company I chose, Manthey Racing. received my KW 2 way Clubsport and H&R ARB kit 2 weeks ago. I put my order for this in the beginning of February 2020 and my car was supposed to get the magic Manthey touch. This whole quarantine thing has put a big dent in my plan. Had a few track days planned (Nordschleife, Spa, and the local scene in Luxembourg). I guess savings on consumables will  not harm my wallet :).

Stay cool and until next time!

masrs
    Participant

UK - England

Great thread. Really enjoyed reading through it. The mats look great!

18stealth
    Participant

UK - England

Be safe all.

rainydays
    Participant

Luxembourg

PART 1

1. StopTech floating

2. GiroDisc floating

3. Tarox F2000

4. DBA – floating

5. EBC – floating

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to 2 years old but still fearsome!. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!