Action camera and car mount

Home Forums General Picture & Video Gallery Action camera and car mount

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

Hi there chaps

For next year I fancy an extended alpine tour as an escape from Covid-19. Who knows whether and when we can travel again in public. Our federal scientific Corona task force reckons with a devastating third wave in March. So I guess traveling by car is the safest form of transportation.

Anyway, I plan to document my personal Grand Tour with a suitable video camera – obviously without necessarily wrecking an edition RS or getting a swiss army knee 😄. Maybe one of you experienced vloggers in this forum can give me a hint about suitable camera type and objective lens, robust mounting brackets, best filming position in the car and sound recording.

I own a Nikon D600 SLR with decent lenses that is capable of video recording (HD, 30p). However, it is rather heavy and I do not have the appropriate mounting gear. I was rather thinking of a GoPro Hero 9 sort of action cam with adequate car accessories. Any suggestions, tips, personal experience are very much appreciated.

Cheers, Frenk 😎

Revo Stage 1 – JCR super low seating frame – Mishimoto gas pedal spacer – DSC sport controller

Tyrefitter
    Participant

UK - England

A few of my friends with mitsy evo’s have the GoPro hero 9 & say they are good.

Andy.

Red Edition.

stu-c
    Participant

UK - England

I had a similar question Frenk and in the end I went with a Canon SX740 HS compact camera. It small, good quality HD and decent photos with excellent optical zoom for those mountain shots. Very happy with it.

NB FPM375

frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

Thanks for your input guys.

I guess the best mount would be a suction cup inside. Hanging from the glass sun roof the camera would be positioned between the front seats which allows for an excellent perspective. A zoom lens might help here to get the field of view right. Now I just have to free some 600 bucks 😉

Revo Stage 1 – JCR super low seating frame – Mishimoto gas pedal spacer – DSC sport controller

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

@frenk i was thinking of adding the BlackVue DR900S-1CH, with high capacity battery, and cloud access… the whole set up is about £600-800, + A fee each month for cloud access.. but is permanently in the car and will catch real good video & decent sound for fun trips 😆

frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

Cheers @GM. Good idea. In fact, I have the older BlackVue DR650S-2CH installed. But I always regarded picture quality as a bit poor and sound as crap. I’ll have the firmware upgraded and the settings tweaked to see if there is an improvement. 👍

frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

Right, the firmware upgrade went smoothly. The picture is still the same. The main issue is the windscreen heating wires, though. It creates a Moiré pattern that is visible. Maybe I should mount the camera on the outside, that is, suction cup and GoPro Hero 9.

The sound is still an issue. The microphone is crap. So I used post production video editing. Here is a short clip:

I think there is room for improvement 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Action camera and car mount. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!