Advise on on street parking

Home Forums General Non RS Chat Advise on on street parking

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

bob-the-bandit
    Participant

UK - England

Just after a bit of advice.

Lived in same street for 4 year. Cant get drive put in due to council “red tape”.  there is a bay about 20 meters from where we live where i normal park my cars with no hassle at all. they are not in front of anyone house and anyone can use them bays.

recently across the street move out and they use to park on there drive with his BMW on the path/road with no problem.

Now these new people have moved in and it was originally ok, they parked the same way as former tenants. But now they’ve got a newer car they are now parking in the bay, which is fine as when this happens I just park outside there house as they would and the ones before did.

Yesterday wor lass saw them taking pics of my car and asked what they were doing. they said it was causing an obstruction and wheelchairs and buggy couldn’t get passed, but they denied taking photos. She obviously fired back that they park the same way but they say they park more on the road ( which cause a tight squeeze as cars on both sides of road). Any advise??  I like an easy life so I’ve suggested parking elsewhere if there in the bay.  Wor lass want me to get an old banger and park it in the bay to piss them off!

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

bob-the-bandit

Hope I have read and understood your situation properly. It is an offence to park on the footpath whether fully or partially, so two wheels on the road two wheels on the footpath is illegal. I know why people do this to make more room on the road for vehicle to pass freely. The test for obstruction is can an emergency vehicle eg fire appliance/ ambulance pass. The vehicle that stops this happening and at fault is the last to be parked, so one car parks up then some time later another parks on the opposite side, the last vehicle is at fault (hard to prove without taking pictures and corroborating evidence. Now you say you want an easy life, buying a banger and sticking it in the layby will no doubt escalate things where people go further and we all know what happens next car gets damaged. The council Police wont be interested unless things escalate and the Police wont class this as a priority. Hope this helps

Coastliner

bob-the-bandit
    Participant

UK - England

Cheers Coastliner

If I park outside there or anyone else’s house without any of the wheels on the path then an ambulance my just get passed without encroaching on the other footpath but a fire engine would not. I also looked out of the window before you replied and our road is on a curve and i can see for 50 m in each direction and there are 18 cars the are parked with 2 wheels on the path.

I also think its an offence in London to park on the path IE must no park but in other area you ” should not park” on the footpath.

BTW i don’t park outside my house as we live on the bend with our front garden being the tip of the triangle and our back garden taking me 2 hours to cut the grass….. its massive.  Our next door neighbors who lived then when we arrived always park there so in 4 years I never have. there only room for 1 car

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Bob have a read of this, I’m sure you are 100% familiar it might help your cause

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/parking.html

Honorary Member

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

bob-the-bandit

Its an offence anywhere in the UK to drive or park on the footpath. As services such as cable telephone often run under the footpath which is not the same construction as the road therefor damage can occur to these services under the footpath. We have all seen an increase in Motability scooters, guide dogs prams and such all need to be able to navigate the footpath with any problems. I can appreciate its difficult in built up areas as most households have sometimes multiple vehicles. When someone new moves in there is a period of adjustment to accommodate new habits regarding parking. Without knowing the persons concerned its difficult to give anymore advice as some people thrive on confrontation. Trust me confrontation is your very last option. On a street/road like you have described no one has any right or authority over any one else. Its a bit like the scenario of putting your towel on a sun lounger abroad we see it time and time again towels put down even though the persons responsible only use them after 3pm in the afternoon. Human natures great isn’t it?

Coastliner

bob-the-bandit
    Participant

UK - England

Cheers both.

I just found out today you are not allowed to enter your drive way unless your got a “dropped curb”. A few neighbors where i live don’t know about that law!!

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

bob-the-bandit

That is quite true, and its an arm and a leg to get this work done council approval and only an approved contractor and guess what he will charge an arm and a leg. About 30years ago this work cost £1000 so now maybe much more.

Coastliner

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

A neighbour had a quote from the council to drop one curb edge stone (the bit that slopes) £800 including paper work ?

Honorary Member

v8griff
    Participant

UK - England

@Bob, I’ve always found a friendly conversation with the people concerned will normally solve most problems. What you wouldn’t want to do IMHO is escalate the issue.

Knock on the door, have a chat and sort it. Take Wor Lass along too.

andy-k
    Participant

UK - England

In my street we have white markings that are half in the road and half on the pavement, which does allow parking on pavement and access for emergency services/builders deliveries. This + signs on the lamp posts explaining it. No white marks and signs = illegal to park on pavement

Edition, FPM 375

RS77
    Participant

UK - England

Default situation is no parking on a footway (legal term for a pavement in the UK) and no crossing of a footway without a drop kerb. Any exceptions to this must be the subject of a “made” traffic regulation order and appropriate signs and markings. Informal parking on a footway to allow emergency service vehicle access is not an automatic valid defence in the event of prosecution. Hope this helps.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Advise on on street parking. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!