Aem wmi experience

Home Forums Performance Fuel Aem wmi experience

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

pezzar666
    Participant

UK - England

Anyone have experience with AEM wmi kits?

Ive had a kit fitted since April and it’s not worked since day one. They’ve replaced the fluid level sensor and the controller under warranty but still no joy.

the controller cuts out occasionally at high boost with a single red flash. Aem stated they have seen this and it’s due to poor ground or power. These are wired straight to battery so then they asked where yellow trigger was connected. They asked me to wire this straight to battery too, no joy.

if anyone has any experience with these kits I’d appreciate any info

Nateodog
    Participant

UK - England

<p style=”text-align: left;”>What your describing is exactly the experience you’d hope to get from AEM</p>
    juat wait till your pump gets low voltage and doesn’t register as a fault and then you loose your motor because it has no failsafe against it 😬😬😬😔

SABRE

666.6 bhp 99 oct & wmi

558 lbft

OEMeth installs

Aquamist

sabre tuning

Spec-R

J9-performance

funk motorsport

Hel

Owen developments

WP Pro brakes

HELIX Automotive

KW suspensions

Barney Build

Grant Motorsport

pezzar666
    Participant

UK - England

I have the failsafe connected and that just keeps triggering and cutting my boost to WG spring pressure.

aem told me the pumps either work or they don’t so haven’t tested it or replaced it yet.

are the snow performance kit pumps same as the aem?

pezzar666
    Participant

UK - England

@Nateodog

What your describing is exactly the experience you’d hope to get from AEM
    juat wait till your pump gets low voltage and doesn’t register as a fault and then you loose your motor because it has no failsafe against it

AEM, to be fair, have gone all out to help, they’ve even replaced the controller and fluid level sensor under warranty FOC. The whole system was sent back to them and tested, the loom was chopped about by the original installer and i had to pay $20 for a new one. The only item untested was the pump, I do get an error at the controller just not a pump specific one and it only cuts at high boost.

They are now sending me a new pump FOC and i’ll keep the failsafe connected, that works brilliantly, any errors at the controller and im dropped to WG spring pressure for boost.

There are literally 1000s of these AEM kits in use in the US, its huge over there and they’re all running no issue even without failsafe connected, so i dont think your statement can carry too much merit but get what youre trying to say.

In my experience its the incorrect or shoddy fitment of these kits that leads to failures, thats where the main issue lies

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

@Perry Whittle I think what Nate was getting at, theres not much as in safety functions in the fail safe as other brands. Im using the Aquamist 5 port kit, more expensive, More to the kit and more time to install than others. Real good and no comparison when you do your research into it.

One mate was using the AEM pump and controller but didn’t end well when the pump failed. The failsafe is a must if your car is tuned for meth!

pezzar666
    Participant

UK - England

@GM

yup, failsafe is crucial.

Mine is tapped into the stock BCS via a relay, if the aem controller triggers then im reduced down to spring pressure. This works very well.

All my experiences are the failsafe triggers, if you’re running without it there’s huge risk

pezzar666
    Participant

UK - England

just checked the install guide for aquamist, looks like it uses a very similar failsafe to the aem. Trigger wire options include passing through a relay to open the BCS and drop boost to spring pressure. The only extra on aem kit is to purchase a relay

Who makes aquamist pumps, i checked the snow kit and the pump seems very simlar to the aem pump.

Looks like one manufacturer just relabelling pumps for different vendors

Looking at the aquamist pump in the kit picture looks exactly the same as aem pump just different label.

Does if have Aquatec stamped on the top?

pezzar666
    Participant

UK - England

call me fickle but these look eerily similar 😉

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

But at say £2k for a Meth install with kind of OK failsafes on it you’d be mad not to get Syvecs fitted to look after your motor with a hundred billion million zillion readings a second can’t beat it for a failsafes monitor; considering it’s only £2k more and if your built motor big turbo build stands you at £6k £8k £10K £12k it’s a no brainier as you’ve previously said GM

They do like very similar.

But I’ve used Aquamist previously and it ran for 3 years without issue it did what it said on the tin. Peter has a supercharged E46 M3 and uses AEM system for the past 12 months he also hasn’t had any issues either

We all pays our monies and takes our choice, no one’s choice is right or wrong, but it’s right for them.

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

pezzar666
    Participant

UK - England

@white-rs2

exactly, you do

id love syvecs but don’t have money for that.

there are 1000s of aem and snow kits in use in states and they all run issue free even with no failsafe.

it’s shoddy fitting, in my experience and research, that cause the main issues

pezzar666
    Participant

UK - England

this is straight from the aquamist documentation. My eyes are bad, on the label, made in USA by who? 😉

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

@white-rs2 WMI was purchased & fitted before deciding on big turbo while stage 2 was my limit, purely to combat the buildup issues with DI. And it didn’t cost me 2K 😉

The pump failing is not the issue, who makes the pump either. The issue is my mates system didn’t detect his pump was not performing, so purely answering the question of the topic “AEM WMI experience” 😂

I am starting to finally see why people who are at the top of the Mk3 RS game don’t share information, as it turns into a mine is better than yours scenario 😂😂

pezzar666
    Participant

UK - England

@GM

if your mate didn’t hook up the aem failsafe then he’s running exposed.

mines hooked up to stock BCS and works flawlessly and actually works the same way as the aquamist in its default config (throws ground signal)

some people cite that aem pumps are crap when in fact they’re made by same supplier as aquamist in the same factory.

i have no problem with people balling me out, just make sure your facts are correct first or it’s not me who looks like a complete tool

pezzar666
    Participant

UK - England

Anyways, AEM are sending me new pump foc so I’ll update here when I receive and fit it

I have my wmi tune from tuneplus too and need to load and log it when wmi is running properly

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

Failsafe hooked up, the whole difference is the controller and what it monitors and reacts to…. was never about one output, its about what actually triggers that output & thresholds …. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Most prob also the reason for the aquamist controller cost….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Aem wmi experience. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!