All over the place

Home Forums Performance Handling All over the place

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)
  • Author

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

blimey, theres a lot of reading and views there!  Few points, the PDC does not apply the brakes to offset a crosswind/road camber etc, it works in the steering rack, the PDC exerts a slight force on the steering rack to balance the force it is feeling from the crosswind or external forces like camber, crowned road etc. Its a driver aid supposedly to reduce driver fatigue when for example driving down a motorway with a constant crosswind, it steers into the wind slightly for you. I found the slalom was better when I had 36F 32R, I wonder if having the fronts at spec, say 41F and the rears low at maybe 32 would reduce the oversped rear axle by in effect having slightly less rolling circumference tyres at the rear. I’d still like to try fully worn out, maybe 2mm tread tyres on the back and new 6 or 7mm tread tyres up front as that would completely do away with the oversped by 1.8% rear end. I too have had big veering moments when backing out of the throttle on cambered roads, car has done massive movements at high revs backing off . I still also wonder how accurately the RDUs have been built at the factory!! they are really fussy on initial set up and internal tolerances, maybe if one clutch pack has more clearance than the other side when they come into use ( under heavy throttle) one pack may grab slightly before the other side and start up a zig zag oscillation?? Could one pack be wearing more than the other pack as we all go round roundabouts etc clockwise/right turn, maybe if we did a load of left turn doughnuts etc it might even up the wear and equalize internal tolerances?? Strange  how the car seems ok on flat roads though, maybe in a straight line on the smooth, the clutch packs with both rear driveshafts spinning equally bite reasonably equally and its only when there is a slight speed difference between them like maybe on camber/ruts etc it starts to muck about. I dunno, its spoiling the car again for me.

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

johnybigarms
    Participant

UK - England

71bda, thanks for the PDC explanation, I noticed the steering was a little heavier the first time I drove when I had it switched off at the dealer, it’s definitely not required and just complicates the steering, other forums have talked about turning of the Hill Assist function as a cure to the VS, many agree it’s worked for them, some get better low speed acceleration, some get no VS and believe it’s the cure, some say it’s no different, worth a try, could be a bug in the electronics of some cars, will be turning mine off anyway, it’s not a feature that’s I need, and it may just help, by the way, this morning I had a blast in the RS, M380 package, PDC is off, Track mode, soft suspension and ESC fully off, f-cking love this car, it’s unreal on these B roads, feel like a B group rally driver, just can’t get this handling from any other car on the market, power is plenty and smooth, 100% keeper

Mountune M380 package

Mishimoto throttle Pedal Spacer

Mountune Hard Charge Pipes

JCR super low seat frames x 2

DSC Suspension Controller

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@johnybigarms

Morning mate!! My RS is now back in 4WD, lol!! I’m heading out on the same route I went yesterday, this time I’ll be in Track Mode. It’s always Sport Mode I use. So I’ll be in Track Mode with Suspension back into soft and ESC turned off, as in button held down for 5 seconds as per your recommendations. I’ve always had my tyre pressures as per Ford. Do you run your tyres at standard 41 and 38 psi??

Cheers, Marc.

MY/17, F/White, Forged Black Wheels, Recaro Shell Seats, Diamas SiRamik Glasscoat, H&R Anti-Roll Bars/15mm Spacers, EBC Turbo Brake Discs all round/Yellowstuff Brake Pads, Mountune Air Intake/Recirc Valve/SSC/Blue Turbo Hose Kit and Hard Pipe/Uprated Springs/Short Shifter/Rear Motor Mount/Crank Breather Plate, ETS Intercooler, Milltek 100 Cell Cat, Remus Wolf Inside Exhaust, Litchfield Stage 2 map via Cobb Accessport V3, DSC unit.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

no worries big guns, I did try that hilarious cure Hill start assistance off, and it was no difference at all, I really believe the chap who swore by it on the US forum was not all there in the head, all the other forum users seemed to just swear AT him !! ha ha ha. My next attempt is going to be … radio on, rear windows ajar, sunroof tilted up, 1/4 tank of squirt, sport mode (trainers on.. just do it)  and rear tyres defated to 32, front at std 41. Maybe try some of those welding gauntlet race gloves that Markcup70 enjoys using on trackdays. Innit !

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

marc.. I suppose if you get a tug from the old bill while blatting around in VS territory you could always say you are investigating certain handling characteristics purely for other RS owners safety. I think ford should have put a differential in the RDU instead of using clutch packs, maybe in future someone will develop a replacement that does away with the packs and just has a LSD in the back instead ( obviously altering it so that it has just a clutch pack  on the input shaft so that the rear can actually drive when needed)

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit?

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@71-bda

Afternoon mate!! Haha…. joking aside I’ve had 3 extremely close shaves in the last 3 days, still half expecting a letter through the door this week!! Should be fine today if I can contain myself on the main road, lol!! Once I’m on to my favourite route (my 73 mile long test track) I’m ok. Low volume of traffic and never seem the Plod on it once!! I’m more concerned about Mountain Goats ? and stupid bloody birds that walk instead of flying!! Lol!! ????.

Cheers, Marc.

MY/17, F/White, Forged Black Wheels, Recaro Shell Seats, Diamas SiRamik Glasscoat, H&R Anti-Roll Bars/15mm Spacers, EBC Turbo Brake Discs all round/Yellowstuff Brake Pads, Mountune Air Intake/Recirc Valve/SSC/Blue Turbo Hose Kit and Hard Pipe/Uprated Springs/Short Shifter/Rear Motor Mount/Crank Breather Plate, ETS Intercooler, Milltek 100 Cell Cat, Remus Wolf Inside Exhaust, Litchfield Stage 2 map via Cobb Accessport V3, DSC unit.

johnybigarms
    Participant

UK - England

71bda lol, I knows it’s snake oil but a few swear by it, tried it on the way home 10 minutes back, must say the RS is stunning me, I can’t fault her, my tyre pressures are around 40 front, 38 rear, although I haven’t checked them for a while, so may be lower, will check when she’s cool, just to confirm, when I initially had the RS running with standard Sport mode, 1000 miles on the clock, standard power, standard wheel pressures, ESC on, PDC standard, the Veering steering was really bad, oscillating left and right even on decent surfaces, so these settings on my car (PDC off, Track mode, soft suspension, M380 tune, ESC fully off, Hill Assist off) standard suspension and track) I have no veering steering, those who have I recommend you try my settings, I’m very happy with my RS at the mo.

Mountune M380 package

johnybigarms
    Participant

UK - England

Ps those who overtake should try this, before hitting the gas hard, move over to the opposite lane with light throttle, when in that lane, WOT and then pass the car or cars, then back to light throttle as you move back to the correct side of the road, the camber won’t have any effect on your RS, back on your side WOT again and leave them in your dust trail. Tip of the day

Mountune M380 package

johnybigarms
    Participant

UK - England

The slight knock I’m getting from the steering with hard left and right motions at idle and engine running are not from the rack, if I move the steering just a couple of mm I feel the wheels respond, so there’s no play in the rack, It has to be somewhere else, left and right motion had no obvious free play, but it’s harder to check suspension that way, what else could have wear in it to cause knocking?

Mountune M380 package

outtadrally
    Participant

UK - N.Ireland

Ford told me the knocking in the rack was normal ?

I agree with BDA, a good old fashioned LSD in the back would be the job, especially if the VS is caused by the RDU

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

Good old LSD wouldn’t allow torque vectoring, we would end up with standard 4WD system, which wasn’t what Ford wanted to achieve.  Think the aim was to achieve a RWD feel from a FWD/AWD  car.  To get the car to pivot around the apex, oh and to drift LOL

The RDU was used previously as I understand in Land Rover (Evoque?), where it was used without over speeding.  Never heard any stories of VS there.   Not suggesting it’s because of over speed,  but I suspect it’s system/software fighting against each other, perhaps aided by the tyres tram lining.

I think the over speed version is now an option on the Jaguar E pace.

Sadly it seems news of this issue hadn’t reached the top of Ford Performance, well not as of mid 2018, as the then boss hasn’t heard of the problem, I know because I asked him on Thursday !!!

Magnetic Grey with all the best bits

FPM375/COBB/MSD-  Quaife LSD,  DSC+Tractive  Suspension,  HJS200 cell sports cat and MT Cooler. Sync3 upgrade.

Was UK seller for DSC & Tractive  Active suspension !!!

robroy
    Participant

UK - England

@brembo

Hi Marc,

I gave it a go, felt like i was in my mk2 rs  revo stage 4 lol, lights up the wheels nicely , trouble was roads were too busy, unlike Scotland 🙂

I would need to go on a longer trip like you did to have definite point of view, but general feeling was it was just pulling from torque steer rather than the trying to chuck you in the hedge !

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@robroy

Evening mate!! Like a Stage 4 Mk2 RS…. haha!! Nice!! It’s not a bad drive at all, think it gives the impression that it’s faster because it feels so crazy, haha!! It’s just as well that we do have AWD coz mine spun the wheels in 3rd at 60mph in the dry with TC still on…. lol!! Definitely no VS though!!

I went out round my usual route yesterday in Track Mode with soft Suspension and ESC completely off as per @johnybigarms – It was a magic drive!! That’s what the Mk3 RS is all about. Really pushing from the rear end, came off a roundabout pretty bloody sideways which was fine in the dry, but I’m not sure how it would be in the wet?? I might have to put the ESC back on in the rain!!

@johnybigarms

How do you find it in the rain with ESC turned off mate??

Cheers, Marc.

johnybigarms
    Participant

UK - England

Hi Brembo, never driven her in the rain, she’s done 7000 miles, 99.9% dry.

The RS with these settings is stunning, standard suspension is epic on full thrash B roads, yes it’s firm but it handles rough roads amazingly well, the car is completely glued to the roads, the M380 tune is perfect, you don’t need any more power in my mind, it’s the right balance of smooth power and stunning handling, the traction and pace I was running at the other day had my mind blown, it still felt safe, but if I there had been a passenger, they would have required clean underwear, but I only drive that hard on my own, she’s a keeper, will always drive her in that setting.

The traction control fully off doesn’t worry me in the dry, the grip is simply that good, but I would be wary in the wet, I’m going to try some tinted film in front of the amber warning lights to try and reduce the visibility  of them, they kinda piss me off a little, any amber warnings feel like you have an issue, even though they are self induced, if I can use the correct colour film to change them to green, my mind might accept them better, daft I know.

Mountune M380 package

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

Johhny, I think blue should change yellow to green, ? trying to remember back to the days mum used to have those coloured loo bloo things in the toilet !!

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to All over the place. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!