Am I paranoid !?!

Home Forums Performance Engine Am I paranoid !?!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

emeRSon
    Participant

UK - England

So it’s turned really cold lately and on start up there is a very short time 3-4 seconds of a white vapour on cold start after that it goes to a thinner vapour after this. The car has had its head gasket recall done and runs absolutely fine. As I don’t drive the car that often (only at weekends) and for approximately 100 miles per weekend it is not apparent of any coolant loss. The car has a 3” stainless exhaust. Does this sound normal? Is it just the way these cars go through their cold start? Please can someone stop me from thinking about this all the time  😫

Fast On Race Day

RS@WUB
    Participant

UK - England

When I first saw title of this I thought it was going to be about your car being stolen. I don’t use FB and friends keep telling me about how many been stolen or attempted past few months, it’s shocking.

As for your thoughts I think you are worrying about nothing. It’s cold and like most of our cars not getting used enough between runs but when we not driving we looking on utube or the internet about cars that are blowing up which is a small number vs the masses 🙂

well that’s what i hope as I’m sure my car the same last times I’ve started it up and left it running on drive. Been a month I think since last drove her 🙁

nicklulu
    Participant

USA

If you have an RS, you get paranoid when you see smoke in cold starts!

I don’t even have a HG issue on mine and I feel I have PTSD about this. 😵

Smudger068
    Participant

UK - England

You are sweating over nothing mate. I use mine as a daily and it does exactly what you say. You need to worry when it’s getting warm or is warm and it is still going strong with white smoke.

emeRSon
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks Smudger. Phew!!

Fast On Race Day

Matt. B
    Participant

UK - England

Have it every morning. These cars smoke like a bitch on a cold start up. Doesn’t stop me worrying though. Just keep eye on coolant and you should be good.

440bhp

443lbft

emeRSon
    Participant

UK - England

The more you guys reply the better I feel, cheers MattyB. I’m taking it it’s from the cat heating up really quickly. Thanks Guys. 👍

Fast On Race Day

jh1
    Participant

UK - England

Try this little test –

Pop outside when it’s cold ( that’ll be now then brrr ⛄️🌬❄️)

and

breath out through your mouth.

White smoke will be seen -try blowing smoke rings – your own heads gasket is also fine

🙀 Hopefully 😜🤪😜🤪

In my humble opinion.  Like many and the post’s above – just check your coolant water bottle level frequently till your happy there is no loss -👴🏻🚙👴🏻. Then reduce frequency as confidence is gained ….👋🏻 Jeff.

stuartditchburn
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Enjoy you RS and try not to look for problems every time you get in and start the engine.   Bad publicity and negative reviews have made a lot of new RS owner’s paranoid.    You are the lucky owner of a superb car, drive it and enjoy your ownership.   Wash her and polish her and get as many smiles per mile as you can, make your ownership of your RS a pleasure for yourself.   It may get problems just like any other marque of vehicle does, deal with it if it happens and move on.   The RS is an excellent vehicle and there is always this forum to offer you endless amounts of help and information.

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

Cold stainless…… hot engine gases, condensation until exhaust temp is up…. if it stays when temp is up, part ex 🤣😂

nicklulu
    Participant

USA

After owning my RS for a little over two years I need to top off the coolant by a cup’s worth.

Is this normal?

Do I have a leak?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by nicklulu.

Lucky_
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Like this

emeRSon
    Participant

UK - England

Not quite as bad as that, but a similar type of thing yes.

Fast On Race Day

Lucky_
    Participant

UK - Scotland

If it’s not as bad as that then you’ve nothing to worry about.  Mines been checked and it’s fine. Been like that since I bought it almost 2 years ago

emeRSon
    Participant

UK - England

Nice one Lucky. Makes me feel loads better!

Fast On Race Day

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Am I paranoid !?!. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!