Anyone come to Focus RS feom Golf R Mk7?

Home Forums General Non RS Chat Anyone come to Focus RS feom Golf R Mk7?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

gregstar125
    Participant

UK - England

As above really. I have a Golf R which I mostly enjoy, but I do come from a car background of several Subaru Impreza’s and a couple Mitsubishi Evo 7’s.

I test drove a Focus RS a couple of weeks ago and immediately loved it. Reminded me strongly of my Subaru’s, the proper ride with real road feel, not brittleness, the way it goes around corners and the manual – not driven a manual for a while and do miss it. My head’s been constantly thinking for days now, do I sell my Golf R for a Focus RS or not!

Would be great to hear from anyone who’s owned a Golf R previously.

Thanks

cam87
    Participant

UK - England

Hi mate,

i have had both mk7 R (manual) and a S3 8v (auto) and have had 3 JDM STI’S and 2 Evo 9’s and the focus is a far better option than a mk7. The golf is a good all rounder but is not a drivers car at all in my opinion, you will not regret the focus.

“A car is just fast enough when you stand in front of it in the morning and are afraid to unlock it” – Walter Rohrl

cam87
    Participant

UK - England

The one thing i did notice with the golf as well is in sport mode the speakers sounded very much like a scooby!

“A car is just fast enough when you stand in front of it in the morning and are afraid to unlock it” – Walter Rohrl

WelshBoy
    Participant

UK - Wales

The lease on my Focus RS ends in  summer 2019 – I was thinking of getting a Golf R

Gregstar125 – how do you find the Golf R?   Is it best to get a manual or is the DCT any good?

Whilst I cant speak for the Golf R (hence the query above) you will love the RS – great car – pound for pound its the best car I’ve ever had

bob-the-bandit
    Participant

UK - England

I was reading the you can only get a brand new golf R with auto box now

WelshBoy
    Participant

UK - Wales

Thanks Bob-the-Bandit

robin-c
    Participant

UK - England

I came from S3 to FRS. I never gelled with the S3, ours had DSG box, my wife did. Moved it on after two years.

We will probably buy another at some point or Golf R as our second daily driver.

Leembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

I had the mk6 golf r and the mk7. The mk6 was incredible, and bought the mk7 without driving it. Big mistake.

Due to its increased horsepower over the six, I thought it would have been a far better car to drive. How disappointed was I? Only had the car less than a year, bought a type r, had that six months then bought the RS.

so glad that I bought the RS. It’s incredible.

sebbcb
    Participant

UK - England

I sold my S3 8v (i know its not a golf r but same family) bought the RS and was the best thing I ever did, absolutely no regrets after 2 months of owning it.

It depends what you want out of your drive really as the two cars are a completely different.

If you want to feel alive get the RS!

This is not an automated message.

gregstar125
    Participant

UK - England

Thank you for all your replies  massively appreciated!

Welshboy, the DCT is very very good, for me, similar to a rally car type gearbox experience. It has good torque early and lightning quick gearchanges. I find it far better in manual using the paddles, but in auto when you’re stuck in traffic is a nice option.

It is a great competent all rounder which handles well in all weathers, a good car for fast driving (very little feeling & involvement though) and also long journeys. But test driving that Focus RS did something that the Golf R doesn’t do. It’s a feeling, it’s the special way the RS goes around corners. I’m going to drive another one at a Ford dealer on Monday, see if I can get a good 30 minutes drive on different roads. Ultimately  if I had the money  I would have a Focus RS AND my Golf R, depending where I was driving on a particular day!

WelshBoy
    Participant

UK - Wales

Thanks gregstar125 – much appreciated

rslucky
    Participant

UK - England

Firstly, welcome to the club. Its a great forum and full of useful advice.

Like you, I came from a line of Scoobs. 96 JDMSTI wagon, 04 WRX SL, 05 STI and lastly an 06 STI. We ran a Golf R at work and now an S3 which replaced it. 2 very similar cars to be honest and very similar to drive. For me the RS is on a different level of fun. When I test drove the RS I smiled from ear to ear as I had finally found something that felt like the scoob. In all honesty, the Golf R is the better daily, especially with DSG. Its more comfortable, and just easier to drive. But for out and out driving and grin factor it doesn’t come close to the RS. Its got a lot of the scoobs traits. A bit noisy, a bit bumpy, and bit lairy but loads of character.

I got a bit dejected a while ago with the RS’s HG issues and all the stuff I kept reading on forums and very nearly sold it. But, there was/is nothing out there that I would change it for, well not that I can afford anyway. So it’s in having its HG done as we speak and having FPM375 fitted.

Steve

WelshBoy
    Participant

UK - Wales

Thanks Steve – useful info

gregstar125
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks so much Steve. Yes, the RS is closer to the Subaru’s than anything else and I probably desire that more than daily comfort driving

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

But why would you buy a VW or AUDI in the first place……………Yep fools and money easily parted ?

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Anyone come to Focus RS feom Golf R Mk7?. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!