Anyone got good tyre knowledge?

Home Forums Performance Tyres Anyone got good tyre knowledge?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

kr1s
    Participant

UK - England

I have tried reversing the tyres on the rim to even out wear on track use. One at a time

Inside is the new outside!

It’s great to see a sharp shoulder on the outer corner instead of a nearly bald edge.

The only difference so far is the tyre stays a lot cooler now. Why is that? Maybe it’s not working so hard and the power is shifting to the correctly fitted tyres?

Can anyone explain all this assymetric technical stuff?

marty_rs
    Participant

UK - England

Hi kr1s.

If I read correctly you’ve removed the tyre from the rim, rotated and fitted back on the rim?

Depending what brand of tyres you have, it’s more than likely the cooler temp is due to the tyres now being fitted incorrectly and even an mot fail. You mentioned asymmetric at the end. This is where the tyre is designed to be fitted only one way on the rim, marked on the side walls as ‘inside’ and ‘outside’. Different manufacturers do this for different reasons, like water dispersal on rain tyres etc.

Also depending how bad the balding is you mentioned it might be beneficial to have your alignment checked too

Hope this helps

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by marty_rs.

kr1s
    Participant

UK - England

Hi Marty thank you for replying. Yes you are correct and it is an mot fail. I’m using the standard original fitment michelins. Though I rotate the wheels around, the tyres become unusable with 4mm left on the inner half. So I’m saving the environment and my wallet by fitting the tyres wrongly. So far it works great but I just need to know the possible downsides before I find out for myself  as I don’t like disasters!

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

Fitting directional tyres incorrect affects the performance of the tyre, fuel economy, cornering, braking and in wet conditions.. If your looking to save money, on your next tyre change just use cheaper non performance / directional.

Regardless to anything else on a car the only thing keeping it on the road is the tyres! and not an area i would scrimp on

Im no expert but its all down to use and personal choice ?

Gsf
    Participant

UK - England

As a tyre technician for Michelin What your doing is promoting aquaplaning in wet weather conditions. The tyres are designed with the sipes on the outside edge dispersing water in order for the rubber to remain in contact with the road. By turning your tyres on the rim as it’s called the tyre is drawing water in which is extremely dangerous especially on a vehicle with this kind of performance. It’s why it’s an MOT failure

RS Blue Edition

kr1s
    Participant

UK - England

Thank you gsf I appreciate your advice. Luckily I’ve only used it on dry roads so far.

It’s really good to have your warning. .

I’ve got a full size spare in the boot so I’ll put that on for when it rains.

tonys
    Participant

UK - England

@kr1s – Scenario: You take your car out, its not raining. Suddenly the heavens open, you aquaplane across the road, mount the pavement and kill a pedestrian……..to protect your wallet?

paulmichael
    Participant

UK - England

Incorrectly fitted tyres would likely be considered an adverse modification by an insurance company. You may not be covered.

kr1s
    Participant

UK - England

Well I’m hundreds of miles and two trackdays in on this experiment. Dry, wet, damp, and greasy tarmac and no issues. I’m wondering if this asymmetric lark is a marketing ploy to sell more tyres.

Gsf
    Participant

UK - England

Take it to an MOT station and see what they tell you!!!

RS Blue Edition

Ian Barker
    Participant

United Kingdom

Failure SIR

Fully forged running M400x

tabzz
    Participant

UK - England

The OP asks for advice on what he’s doing, gets told it’s wrong, then admits he’s been breaking the law for months and just because “something” has happened yet, all the information on why this is wrong/illegal is fake.

if you don’t like the answer, why bother asking the question?

rs-jon
    Participant

UK - England

What I’m failing to grasp out of this whole thing is the fact you have in your hands an expensive performance hot hatch and you are risking it all for the sake of saving a couple of hundred pounds by incorrectly refitting worn tyres – I just dont get the logic in it?  I would expect this train of thought with a cheap run around but not on an RS where the boots its fitted with are argueable one of the most important aspects of the car – especially come this time of year.  4 new tyres are under £500 (Michelin PS4s) so why risk both your own safety and that of others?  Plus I would guess you are voiding your insurance by fitting a part incorrectly?

tabzz
    Participant

UK - England

Everyone I know who is an avid track day fan, factors in the cost of extra tyres, servicing, etc in to the cost of doing their track days. One of my friends went through 2 sets in a year. For him that was the cost of doing something he enjoys. I would say if you can’t afford the tyres, you perhaps can’t afford the track days. I’m wondering if you’re going to carry on leaving the tyres the wrong way around as we get in to winter? The tyres struggle to deal with temperatures below 6c as it is, just think how much worse they are going to be when their wet weather performance has been hampered. Given your previous response, I’m half expecting you to now tell me winter tyres are also a marketing ploy.

The fact that you’re willing to put the safety of the people around you to save a few £s, says everything.

v8marshal
    Participant

UK - England

As an ex firefighter I have seen a lot of things go wrong for people on the roads, you are gambling with other people’s lives and your own by doing this with your tyres.

There is enough that can go wrong without adding to it. Please use some sense and refit correctly.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Anyone got good tyre knowledge?. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!