Apple car play install in the uk

Home Forums Technology In-Car Entertainment Apple car play install in the uk

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Billy2151
    Participant

UK - England

Hi I know this had probably been discussed loads of times but a lot of threads I found where a couple of years old and I keep finding different answers.
    Ive just got a focus rs that I absolutely love. But CarPlay is a must for me as I had it in my R32 that I had before and I loved it.

so I I’m pretty sure I currently have sync 2 in the rs. So somethings I’m  reading says take it to ford for new usb hub in armrest and new display? But then on YouTube I see a guy just popped the usb hub in him self and job done for 50 dollars. He did give the part number for it but on a google search I can only seem to find it in China on AliExpress.

So am I being to hopefully that it’s a 60 quid usb fix? And really it’s a ford job and 1500 quid?

Any updates help on this would be a big help. Thanks guys.

billy

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

Welcome…

Others have done this mod and I’m about to shortly, so i’m getting up to speed with it.   I have sync 2 (car before September 16) last night through the RS Facebook groups I bought a Sync 3 screen and module, which means I will need a USB hub, lead and aerial to complete the conversation .

Hendy Ford advertise the conversion fitted for about £1500.    I picked up the module and screen for 450, used.  ready coded and updated with video play back features and custom wall paper.  Look on the Facebook pages/groups for Lee Edwards, he’s the expert and sells reconditioned and updated units.  So a DIY job should come in half the Ford price.

Will report how the conversion goes over the next few weeks.

Magnetic Grey with all the best bits

FPM375/COBB/MSD-  Quaife LSD,  DSC+Tractive  Suspension,  HJS200 cell sports cat and MT Cooler. Sync3 upgrade.

Was UK seller for DSC & Tractive  Active suspension !!!

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

Not sure exactly but I thought it was very complicated and expensive to convert Syn2 to Sync3 which is necessary for Apple car play to work.

Coastliner

Billy2151
    Participant

UK - England

Ok I thought It wouldn’t be as easy as just a hub in the arm rest change. shame I was able to get a replacement car play head unit for my r32 for 170 quid. Haha.

thanks for the help would be interested to hear how you get on.

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

This shows the process…..

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/99185-how-to-sync2-sync3-upgrade/

The hub is 70 quid, official harness is 230 from Ford (Rates on eBay)

FPM375/COBB/MSD-  Quaife LSD,  DSC+Tractive  Suspension,  HJS200 cell sports cat and MT Cooler. Sync3 upgrade.

tabzz
    Participant

UK - England

I went from Sync 2 to Sync 3, but I took the easy way and got my dealer to do it. If you’re used to CarPlay, it’s hard to go to a car which doesn’t have it and that’s how I felt about my Focus. I will say, out of all the mods, I think this is the one that’s made the biggest improvement to the car and my enjoyment of the car.

My only gripe with the upgrade is, even though having it done by Ford. If I type the VIN for my car in to the Ford Software site, it still think I have a Sync 2. I have yet to find how to get the latest updates for Sync 3, so that I may install these. Jackson’s Ford, where i go for a service, seemed to think the software updates are coded to the VIN of the car. Not sure how true this is or if they were just trying to get out of doing it for me.

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

The link I posted says if you buy the 200 quid ford lead it comes with a licence that allows the update to be logged with Ford. i’ve Order a 20 quid cable from China for now that makes it work the same.

Billy2151
    Participant

UK - England

yeah your right I’m def gonna upgrade.

so I found you can get a full kit in Ali express delivered in a week or so for £570 odd.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_BOgbpS

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

Read the link I posted, US ones have half the memory and won’t take full EU maps, it’s also the wrong USB hub, need the single version.   As I said earlier look up the chap on the Facebook groups he deals, refurb’s and sets them up.

Billy2151
    Participant

UK - England

Ok cheers. I’ve got hold of lee, he’s gonna see what he can get hold of for me

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

Nice one, he’s a good guy, know’s his stuff…..

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

Got most of my SYNC 3 conversion done today…….  just the USB hub to swap over and some trim to refit …..  good news is it WORKS !!!!

Billy2151
    Participant

UK - England

Excellent. How did you find the install?

im just waiting on some bits from eBay.

Went  to see lee last week. Thanks for the recommendation. Really really helpful guy. Very clever. Def knows his stuff. If anyone else is thinking about this hunt him down, you won’t be disappointed.

billy

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

Is this suitable

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

Should be okay, once configured.  Plus the extra bits.

I wouldn’t buy the adaptor lead from china, it’s shit. Was wrongly wired up and doesn’t hold in.  Ended up hardwiring in a fly lead to get the USB hub powered up and working.

Install is a pain in places, depends on the aerial solution you use.  Some suggest a under dash unit which would be much easier. On Lee’s advise I went for the Ford roof mounted item.  So getting the trim off and headliner dropped enough is a pain, as they are easy to crease and damage.  I routed it down the passenger side, took the glove box out to get the cable across and secured.

If you don’t mind skinning your knuckles and slicing your fingers on sharp bit of trim and body work it’s great 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Apple car play install in the uk. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!