Ari Vatanens “Dear God” moment according to co-driver…

Home Forums General Non RS Chat Ari Vatanens “Dear God” moment according to co-driver…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

JUST WOW…

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

Thanks bda!

Brilliant driving. I’m working on it, more of Walter Röhrl style, with a wee bit lower speed though 😉 I tried it on a track day, on flat surface, without hard obstacles. It was exhausting for me and the car.

BTW: Do you have any clue on what the numbers mean? It can’t be speed. And why the co-driver ads some ‘maybe’ after the commands?

Cheers

Revo Stage 1 – JCR super low seating frame – Mishimoto gas pedal spacer – DSC sport controller

peters
    Participant

UK - N.Ireland

Its back !

DaveRS3
    Participant

United Kingdom

Unbelievable!.

Them co drivers have huge balls, I’m surprised they fit in them buckets!

stu-c
    Participant

UK - England

@davers3

I was about to say the exact same thing. The drivers have a pair but the co drivers must have balls of steel.

NB FPM375

stu-c
    Participant

UK - England

@peters

That was brilliant. I never understood a word but brilliant.

NB FPM375

robroy
    Participant

UK - England

I have a duke motorsport all about Ari Vatanen in the loft, he was one hell of a driver, there was a bit when other drivers were saying their driving as fast as they can see ( it was really thick fog) they couldnt  believe the times he was doing !!

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

Both entertaining but in different ways.

Coastliner

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

Hi Frenk !  the number, say 50 means 50 yards (or meters) to the next thing ( corner, hump etc )   maybe is said because when the co driver was doing the pace notes at a slower speed , he thinks that a ‘K’ kink might not be a kink when going faster on the actual rally, so ‘K right maybe’ and over bumps it may jump so he could say ‘jump.. maybe’  some drivers grade the acuteness of the corners by numbers, so a 1 would be almost straight or a kink, and 5 maybe a hairpin etc etc .

Remember thats a zf 5 speed dog leg gearbox, so when it looks like its in 3rd, thats 4th ! and when its pulled back and looks like its in 4th, thats 5th !! and flat out about 120mph at 8000, Ari’s black beauty was good for 275bhp and was tell-tailed at 10000rpm very often !!

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

@bda, great video thanks for sharing

Honorary Member

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

@peters, thanks for sharing skilful driving indeed

Honorary Member

andy thornton
    Participant

UK - England

What amazes me now is the level of safety or lack of it back in the 80s,We followed the RAC rally,s for years ,walking some of the stages through the forests in Wales.Those were the years it snowed and was bloody freezing,eating from garages and Little Chef,s following OS maps ,no Mobile phones or Sat-Nav,s 4 days and nights of pure bliss and considerable suffering.The cars sounded and looked amazing and you could get quite close to them ,Never will i forget the sound of an Audi Quattro late at night flying along a forest track with flames out the exhausts.

No driver aids just pure skill,Real seat of the pants stuff ,Changed quite often by the sounds of it.

Former RS Edition owner

nicklulu
    Participant

USA

I got the number for the distance and the maybe part.

What does the “Dear God” on the notes mean?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Ari Vatanens “Dear God” moment according to co-driver…. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!