Bad ignition after refuel

Home Forums Performance Fuel Bad ignition after refuel

• This topic has 23 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Fink.
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

turbo-tone
    Participant

UK - England

@Frenk. What about some sort of air blockage in the system? Does the RS have a line from the tank which allows vapours to escape? I had one on a golf previously that decided to piss fuel all over the road.

Also Google ‘Ford focus purge valve’ . Worth a look into this??

Collins Cp2 map. Ramair induction. Mountune mud flaps. Scorpion Sports Cat. Scorpion Tracker. Wind deflectors. NB washer jets and shark fin aerial. EBC Grooved discs, YellowStuff pads. Airtec Intercooler, Miltek cat back with titanium tips. Collins quickshift. DSC Controller

frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

@turbo-tone: The issue wasn’t there for four and a half years and 120,000 km, with all the mods. It only appeared a couple of months ago. Yes, I stop occasionally on my blasts, just to watch the view on a mountain top or to have a fag, for 5-15 min. The bonnet remains always closed. Even so, water temp is 90°, oil temp is 75°, sometimes 100°. I also use automatic start-stop in the city, no problem. Never ever had problems with ignition. It happens only when refueling…

I’ll look into the purge valve and have another chat with my mechanic. Cheers.

Revo Stage 1 – JCR super low seating frame – Mishimoto gas pedal spacer – DSC sport controller

turbo-tone
    Participant

UK - England

@frenk. Thanks for the update. In that case it has to be something to do with the fueling process but not necessarily with the fuel. Possibly something on the fuel addition side before it hits the tank. Not sure what the RS has for a set up?

Collins Cp2 map. Ramair induction. Mountune mud flaps. Scorpion Sports Cat. Scorpion Tracker. Wind deflectors. NB washer jets and shark fin aerial. EBC Grooved discs, YellowStuff pads. Airtec Intercooler, Miltek cat back with titanium tips. Collins quickshift. DSC Controller

tonys
    Participant

UK - England

@frenk – A faulty purge valve has been known to cause the issues you are having. Maybe needs replacing and its not a difficult/expensive job.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

Frenk, the obvious next test is just to run it to the usual 80km to go chime and only fill it say 3/4 tank, maybe just stick in 35 litres and see if it still happens? As I said previously, if I wait for the pump to switch it self off at full tank, I look under the car and there is fuel pi$$ ing down to the forecourt floor !! so I never fill more than “nearly full”

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

18stealth
    Participant

UK - England

frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

Update.

The issue seems to have almost disappeared spontaneously. Filled her up with 45.5 litre, once with Shell 95 RON and once with 100 RON. The ignition went on after 3 seconds on the button, engine started hesitantly and sputtered. This time I did not touch the throttle. The ECU managed to rescue the engine from dying by repeatedly increasing idle. This is a 95% improvement compared to before.

I still don’t get it. Was it the very cool intake air without the blanking plate producing condensation during colder and more humid outside temperature? Why not the other 4 winters?

Revo Stage 1 – JCR super low seating frame – Mishimoto gas pedal spacer – DSC sport controller

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

@Frenk, thanks for the update, let’s hope it’s all sorted now👍

Honorary Member

Fink
    Participant

UK - Scotland

I’ve got mine booked in to replace the purge valve soon as I’m having the same issue. If I pay at the pump it won’t start until two or three goes but if I go and pay at the cashier then that few minutes seems to sort out whatever the issue is as it usually always starts first time. I’m selling the car as soon as it’s sorted as I want the thing 100% bob on before it’s sold!!

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Bad ignition after refuel. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!