Been Looking at the BMW M2 Competition.

Home Forums General Non RS Chat Been Looking at the BMW M2 Competition.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

@Mike4051

That one at Lichfield has the gold wheel upgrade, those wheels are not grabbing me.

Coastliner

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

Avoid the cars with Ceramic brakes its going to cost you around £5k at the brake service interval.

To be honest for road way to much brake and also the cars not fast enough to require them.

Edit:

Agree with someone above who said Ceramics Brakes are just Willy Waving on the M2c it’s so true.

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by white-rs2.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by white-rs2.

Mike4051
    Participant

UK - England

@71-bda

already said that to him…….cup sports 2 in the wet is just asking for trouble 🤣

Mike4051
    Participant

UK - England

@coastliner yeah totally get that, I was of the same opinion, but they do look really good in the flesh definitely grown on me. They’re the M2CS wheels.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Mike4051.

Matt. B
    Participant

UK - England

Manual m2 is probably the only M car i would own, or the 1M. Will they let you test drive it? Is upping the power on the RS not an option?

440bhp

443lbft

grunty-motor
    Participant

UK - Scotland

I have an X3M and it probably handles as well as the focus, is way faster, better built, better tech and an all rounder nicer place to be. But, its just not as engaging to drive. Some of that might be the form factor. Another is the auto box – great in everyday mode, but for a blast…no.

This is my 3rd BMW and i like the marque…but ford just has it for fun

If I were you, I would get a test drive on one before committing.

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

My mate’s son has a M140 which is mental fast, meth map and few other bits… and he is in the power for about 4k! All he has not got is traction 🤣 To do the same to the focus is 15-20K….

@coastliner
    think the M2 is the one to have second hand, my mate lost 40K in just over a year on his M4 comp and was looking at a 18 month old M2 with Hendy a while back… only just into the 30’s with hardly any mileage 👍

What i did see is this vid Here M140 XDrive  plain Jane sleeper, this could be a bit of fun! 🤪

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks for all your input decided against progressing with the M2 for the moment there seems a hell of a lot on the market some 2018 cars with low miles. I have FPM375 so mild tune owned almost 4 years and moved from a Mk2 which I owned for 5.5 years. I am still fully into the RS brand but wouldn’t, tune this motor above what I have its not for me. I don’t have the confidence in the Eco boost engine. only my opinion based on many owners experiences. I don’t think the straight 6 BMW engine will be in production in three years time as governments and public opinion are pushing society and motor manufacturer’s in other directions. All my vehicles are longer term purchasers at least 5 years, so that’s where I am at the moment, a wait and see situation. I thank you all for you input which as always has been useful.

Coastliner

grunty-motor
    Participant

UK - Scotland

They have not long released the S58 straight 6 and it will be in the new M3 and M4 so i think that engine will be around for a good few years yet.

Whether they drop the B58 from the other models will be interesting – i guess the m140 -> m135 was a tester for BMW?

Porsche done the same with the boxster and have move back on a few models (but that was NA -> 2.0 turbo -> NA)

stu-c
    Participant

UK - England

Coast,

I think there is always a ‘grass is always greener’ factor with cars, especially after a few years of ownership. That’s fine but it’s always gonna dent your wallet. The RS is one of a few rare examples that depreciation is relatively low so holding on to them is usually not a bad idea. Plus the fact they still turn heads when they are 10+ years old!

NB FPM375

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

@stu-c

Totally agree with your comments, the smart move is to stick with the RS and that’s what I am doing.

Coastliner

paulie
    Participant

UK - Wales

Coastliner, my mate test drove a M2 last year although it was an auto but only that available at the time. He didn’t gel with it, said it didn’t make him feel special. He drove my focus after much persuasion because he’d be gutted if something happened to it in his possession, after two corners he said the focus felt far better as in feedback etc.

He owned a very quick 135i a few years back and that was a bit mental having been remapped but as with m cars I find they do everything very well but don’t do one particular thing excellent.

robin-c
    Participant

UK - England

I considered a M2 with a manual but a it was non-starter as a daily for me based on terrible rear seat access and rear wheel drive. Shame as it was a lovely car.

They newer M2 CS are really popular around where I live. Must have been some good PCP deals on them at some point.

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

Yes they are doing 2.9% on all M cars. The M2 was a consideration and its probably the only car that I would seriously consider as a replacement. The quality is a step up, but so is the price.

Coastliner

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

Another way to look at is not go all in on an M2. While we like top of the range, you could sample some BMW’ness with say a M235i,  nice grey 66 plate in manual on autotrader for 17k. Simple map sorts an power loss to the M2, you still get all the toys and “quality” ….  Much less depreciation, have both, overal cost would be lower than selling the RS, buying an M2 and suffering the losses.

Sort what I’ve done, my 2010 Z4, top of the range 35is is my daily, gives me the BMW straight six experience, while the RS is keeper and a weekend toy.

Magnetic Grey with all the best bits

FPM375/COBB/MSD-  Quaife LSD,  DSC+Tractive  Suspension,  HJS200 cell sports cat and MT Cooler. Sync3 upgrade.

Was UK seller for DSC & Tractive  Active suspension !!!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Been Looking at the BMW M2 Competition.. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!