Best way to test a clutch

Home Forums Performance Transmission Best way to test a clutch

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

EE
    Participant

UK - Scotland

I was out in the car yesterday on some B roads, a bit of spirited driving and was going through a junction and had some clutch slip, I’ve never launched the car and it’s done 25000 miles now and I’m the second owner from about 7000 miles so not sure how it was treated before, thing is it seems ok it’s pulling fine but it’s not the first time it’s happened, oh it’s litchfield mapped too, anyone any thoughts or ideas before I need to fork out for a replacement as warranty is up in April.

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Slipping clutch, IMO get it to the garage have it checked. Might need adjusting.

Honorary Member

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

probably go flat out in 3rd and change up real fast just dumping the clutch ( let it up real fast) as you change up to 4th or even fifth and see if it grips, ie, the revs flare up or you sense slip . Is the bite point high?

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

EE
    Participant

UK - Scotland

90% of the time it all seem fine,  it pulls hard just on a few occasions on approach to junctions and it’s clear and  keep moving not stopped but it slips. Are they adjustable I did not know that although I would think it would happen more often than it does, I’ve had a clutch go completely before back in my hay day but it just slipped constant until it would move no more

Devane Taffe
    Participant

USA

<p style=”text-align: center;”>The Mk3 Focus RS factory clutch has a automatic pawl adjuster that automatically adjusts for wear. I’m a Dealership Technician that owns one of these awesome rides and our pinpoint test simply stated with the handbrake up let the clutch out in third. If it grabs and the vehicle stalls immediately no further action is needed. I believe if your slipping so earlier in the mileage it may be covered but double check. Mine has 17k on it but i bought the extended warranty but as far as I know they are typically not covered as clutches are considered wear items like brake pads.</p>

Just A Wrench

Devane Taffe
    Participant

USA

And I think the factory clutch is only good up to 385hp? Correct me if I am wrong

Just A Wrench

EE
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Tried the 3rd gear take off and it stalled immediately just a small lunch forward as you would expect so for that test it seems fine

Ash Hill
    Participant

UK - England

ive had issues with clutch slip since the first 600 miles the car covered, on about 3500 now and it still happens occasionally. Vospers couldn’t see any issue when it went in for 1st service but it’s definitely not my imagination!

Frozen White RS (FPM375)

Reppin’ Cornwall

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Best way to test a clutch. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!