Brand of Fuel

Home Forums Performance Fuel Brand of Fuel

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • Author

mudslinger
    Participant

UK - Scotland

less mpg with 95 octane imo

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

RSDOM, yes I would agree with you about detergents in fuels, but being as the RS is a direct injection engine, the main reason for detergents in fuel is wasted, ie it can no longer keep inlet valves clean like it did before as it was sprayed on the backside of the valve and kept them clean(ish) same goes for a carburettor’d car, but with the RS the inlet valves only see air going past them AND bypass gasses from the crankcase and that is a MAJOR problem for direct injection petrol engines, why so much is made on the importance of correct oil level in sump and the engines breather system and possible catch can requirement etc etc. Your expensive fuel is now only being shot into the combustion chamber and then ignited, it doesnt really “clean” the engine at all now ! Paying over the top for an octane rating that is not required is like buying a box of 50 condoms for the lads holiday in Corfu when in reality you may only get to use one if you are lucky ! or something like that. Innit.

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

oh and RSDOM, a lot of car manufacturers are /were worried about levels of detergents in fuels as  it wasnt long ago that I think the old BMW V8 all alloy with alloy nicasil bores were wearing out and failing to start as the detergents were washing the oil off the bores too much ! Octane is only a fuels resistance to pinking under great load, its not a magic thing that means you get more power or more mpg  or as some say louder pops !!! You would only get more power with 99 octane IF the engine was pinking with 95 octane and by using a higher octane it allowed the engine more ignition advance without that same pinking. pretty sure ford say 95 octane in the UK is fine for the RS ?

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

rsdom
    Participant

UK - Wales

Hi Mike

Appreciate your feedback and it makes sense, I had an E39 535i and that developed an issues with the bores and guess what I was running that on…V power lol

crunchie
    Participant

UK - England

So might as well run it on 95?  When I had mine Mountuned to M380 they said keep it running on a higher octane. Hence Tesco’s Momentum .

rssam
    Participant

UK - England

I use Tesco momentum supposed to have no ethanol in it which has 35% less energy that petrol but keeps the green brigade happy

Mycroft
    Participant

United Kingdom

Philip Knight
    Participant

Australia

Here in Australia I use BP Ultimate 98 as in racing circles it is regarded as a cleaner and more reliably ‘potent’ fuel for optimum performance. I have tried one tank of Shell V-Power 98 and the performance felt compromised. After two tanks back on BP Ultimate 98, performance has improved once more – it feels more responsive, brighter and more willing on acceleration.

rst212
    Participant

UK - England

V power all day long

malcirs
    Participant

United Kingdom

V power for me as well..

rsjas070
    Participant

UK - England

Shell V Power or BP depending where I go to fill up.

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

Tesco Momentum,  tried Shell, made no difference, except to my wallet. Tempted to try some 95RON after reading the comments from Mike.

Magnetic Grey with all the best bits

FPM375/COBB/MSD-  Quaife LSD,  DSC+Tractive  Suspension,  HJS200 cell sports cat and MT Cooler. Sync3 upgrade.

Was UK seller for DSC & Tractive  Active suspension !!!

Chris Preston
    Participant

UK - England

95 octane is 4 mpg less than v power and every octane rating is 6 bhp according to vag technical support plus if you back to back tested v power against 95 you would see a difference.

Ferrari didn’t get shell to make the fuel for no reason !

rsjas070
    Participant

UK - England

i tried Tesco momentum last night need to do a few miles now run it through then give it some helmet see if I notice the diff

J

warehou
    Participant

Australia

Cooking oil….lol

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Brand of Fuel. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!