Car stalling on Start Up when engine is warm

Home Forums Performance Engine Car stalling on Start Up when engine is warm

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Josh1987
    Participant

UK - England

Evening all,
    Had abit of strange one today thats come out of the blue. Got a 17 plate with 34k on it and the strangest thing happens.

Car starts up from cold perfectly normal and drives perfectly normal.
    I stop the car jump out and nip into the shops.
    Come back after 15/20 mins and go to start the car it starts up no problem but the idle is struggling for 5 seconds then the car cuts out
    No warning lights apart from oil light which im assuming is becuase the engine has stopped.
    So start it up again and give it a few more revs to keep it alive then pull away and everything is fine. Stopped in traffic it sits idle perefectly fine as i dont use Auto Start/Stop
    Drive perfectly fine all the way home i stop again go into another shop come out and does the excact same thing seems to only do it once its bene left a small amount of time but not after its been running.
    I get home stop the car give it 30 seconds and restart it and everything is fine.
    Left it a few hours go to start it again and starts perfectly fine again.

I havent had a chance to go out and try it again and ive e-mailed my local Ford garage to see about getting it looked at.

But just wondering has anyone else had this issue ive seen some info about ST’s doing it years ago but not much on the RS

Cheers

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

Sounds to me like a fuelling issue.

Coastliner

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Have to agree with @coastliner, sounds like fuel filter problem,

Honorary Member

Josh1987
    Participant

UK - England

How come it ruins perfectly fine the rest of the time ? its just on initial warm engine start up

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

1. Lack Of Engine Power
    A lack of engine power is one of the most common bad fuel filter symptoms.

An overall lack or engine power in all gears can be due to a lack of fuel getting to the injectors. This can be caused by a dirty fuel filter. The ECU will automatically restrict the engine output to protect the engine. When this happens, the engine will go into ‘limp’ mode and a check engine light will display on the dashboard. There are of course many other reasons for a lack of power like faulty injectors or mass air flow sensor. It’s worth checking the fuel filter condition first, as this is the cheapest and easiest to fix.

2. Engine Stalling Under Strain
    If you find that the engine is losing power under hard acceleration or going up a steep incline, then it may be down to a bad fuel filter. If the filter is nearly clogged up with debris, this will limit the amount of fuel getting through it. It may be ok under normal driving conditions, but the extra fuel needed to accelerate may not be available if a filter is blocking it.

Lack of acceleration can often be mistakenly attributed to a faulty sensor or a vacuum leak. That’s why ย a fuel pressure test is the best way to test if the fuel coming out of the filter is impeded by excess dirt.

3. Random Engine Misfire
    Another symptom that can occur under heavy load, is random cylinder misfire. Sometimes these will show up as error codes, or the vehicle might stutter a bit going up a hill under load. Common causes of engine misfire include faulty ignition coils, bad spark plugs and failing engine sensors such as a bad camshaft sensor, mass air flow sensor or even a bad MAP sensor. The fuel filter may restricting the amount of extra fuel getting to one or more of the injectors, causing the misfire. It’s worth noting that a clogged fuel filter won’t cause a car to misfire while stationary. Modern cars use very little fuel when idle. Unless the fuel filter was completely blocked, it is will probably be caused by something else.

Honorary Member

red-leader
    Participant

UK - England

I have to agree with @bobcat the fuel filter, it’s not shown on the FMC service schedules as needing changing. It’s hidden on the O/S at the rear of the fuel tank. (The end nearest the front of the car.)

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

@red-leader, ๐Ÿ‘

Honorary Member

kr1s
    Participant

UK - England

top stuff bobcat

good explanation

Josh1987
    Participant

UK - England

But the car is working fine whilst driving and pulls perfectly fine and starts up perfectly fine when cold and is perfectly fine when sat in Traffic or at the traffic lights.

Its only happening when left for 15 or so minutes and i jump back in and start it up and it just stalls 5 seconds after starting it up and i can only control it by driving away straight away and then its fine until i stop again and leave it for 15 minutes again.

No warning messages are appearing

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

@josh1987 might have issues with your fuel priming?, can you hear the prime pump kick in when unlocking and opening the door? (i think thats when it kicks in๐Ÿ˜†)

gingerninja777
    Participant

UK - N.Ireland

Did you get it sorted? Iv had mine a year now and it sounds very similar to what mine did first two weeks i had it then i sorted it after speaking to a trust ford technician across the road From my work and hasnt done it since. Did it do it out of the blue or was it after any fiddling or maintenance work?

Josh1987
    Participant

UK - England

I havent heard back from Ford yet and i dont use the car during the week. I took it for a drive tonight and it did it whilst waiting at Traffic Lights but drivers perfectly fine and after cleaning the K&N filter on Sunday night thorrtle response seems to of improved.
    I got back into the back after a quick McDonalds and it did the stalling again then was fine once i got going.
    I got home turned it off left it for 15 minutes got back in and was fine it started sat at 900RPM did 2 dips down to 500rpm in the few 10 seconds which its always done ive noticed then settled at 900RPM

The problem has only seem to of occured since my Wife fueled up last Friday it was fine with her all day then the problem came last Sunday.

Ive given it a good blast tonight to run as much fuel down as possible and refilled with V-Power as im running the Ultima2+ just wanted to see if it were just a bad batch of Tesco 99 or something

tmorris2009
    Participant

UK - Wales

@josh1987 @gingerninja777 did you guys get this sortted?mines doing something similar

Benutzername
    Participant

Germany

A had the same problem, but only after fueling the car.

Changed the 5233601 Tube Assy – Fuel Vapour Separator

And the problem was gone.

https://ford.7zap.com/en/car/183/no/189/2883/21186/98421/#9D289

tmorris2009
    Participant

UK - Wales

@Benutzername so you fuelled up then got this issue? Mine was fine until I put fuel in

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Car stalling on Start Up when engine is warm. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!