Car Won’t Start

Home Forums Performance Engine Car Won’t Start

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

scottkilt7
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Hi All,

I put the car away in the garage for the winter at the end of October and have been starting it once a week to keep it ticking over but over Christmas I didn’t start it for 3 weeks. I went to start it yesterday and it’s dead, I’ve tried charging the battery and jump starting it but all I get is a click and then nothing. The battery was dead so I checked the voltage and it was 4.5V, I then bought a jumper start pack and connected it and when I measured the battery and it is 12.8V but suspect it needs approx 14V to start the car?

When I press the Start / Stop button I get a warning telling me to press the Start button again to switch off the ignition.

I think it’s the battery but looking for information and support please.

Cheers… Davie

red-leader
    Participant

UK - England

Hi Davie, have you got an extra security system fitted to your RS? If so what make?

scottkilt7
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Hi,

I have Ghost installed but put my code in and get the flashing engine management lights. I was thinking it maybe went to default code but wasn’t sure.

red-leader
    Participant

UK - England

Some one else had a problem with a Ghost system with low battery votage and the car not starting. Sounds like your car battery is dead at 4.5volts. It may need charging disconnected from the car. You could call the Ford AA cover and them to comeout and put a tester across it.

scottkilt7
    Participant

UK - Scotland

I got it started after many tries and many annoying attempts, I even contacted Chris who installed my Ghost system and it ended up being a stupid stupid fix, When I was jump starting the car I had the negative onto the tab that runs from the battery to the body of the car, This somehow wasn’t allowing the car to start even though the battery was showing 13.1V, As soon as I moved the negative to the engine block it started first time and has been running fine since, Only think is now I keep getting a TPS warning when all tyres are fine.

Davie..

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

mikey456
    Participant

UK - England

Glad you got it started. I use a Ctek MXS5 charger to regularly to top up the battery, it’s a great piece of kit and not too expensive. That should avoid any issue in the future and extend the life of the battery. As for the tyre pressure warning, have you reset the values in the menu? It will keep giving a warning until then ??

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

@Scottkilt7

In the Focus manual their is a reset procedure for the TPMS sensors very easy to follow

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Honorary Member

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Car Won’t Start. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!