Ceramic coating

Home Forums Styling Bodywork & Detailing Ceramic coating

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author

stripe
    Participant

UK - England

Well I’ve bitten the bullet – Finally!

Car is booked in for a two stage detail and ceramic coating next week. Still somewhat wobbly at the knees given the money but it’s only right to look after it. I’m excited to see the results, and will post some photos here when it’s completed.

Only downside, the detailer reckons the front left bumper panel has been repainted – there’s a clear difference at the bonnet lip which I never noticed! He think it’s actually quite well done, and there doesn’t seem to be any other parts like it. Grrr

Pauly Paul
    Participant

Go on then stripe how much , thought it havin it done myself, but at mo mines fine 👍👍

Matt. B
    Participant

UK - England

Want this done. Contacted a detailing place and they came back saying there not allowed to open and we both would get a 10k fine. Numpties

440bhp

443lbft

stripe
    Participant

UK - England

@mandiscatterbrain £660 all told. I’ve had various quotes and this one sits pretty much right in the middle. I was asked for £1300 by another place – jog on!

@Matt
    .B I’ve been to a few at this point and never had so much as a comment about it. Sounds like they’re overly scared to me

grunty-motor
    Participant

UK - Scotland

I paid that about 4yr ago – but had the interior done too.

Really will make the car look great and much easier to clean. You do have to wash them properly though – certainly not fit and forget

stu-c
    Participant

UK - England

You’ll have to post some pictures after it’s done Stripe.

I spent a whole weekend to do mine myself, just on the exterior. I’m sure you’ll get a better job with a pro though.

NB FPM375

Matt. B
    Participant

UK - England

Look forward to seeing the finished result. How long does it last? And when washing do you have to take any extra precautions. Also i take you can still polish and wax or no?

440bhp

443lbft

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

This is something I am toying with, I machine polished mine about a year ago with good  results I use an iron fallout product and clay barred the car. So anyone who have done the ceramic coating themselves, what have you used? I did look at the Gtechniq  product that is on sale to the general public which retails at £54 for 30ml. They are quoting 24/36 months protection for this product. I do agree the prices are mind blowing for a professional job.

Coastliner

turbo-tone
    Participant

UK - England

@coastliner, what machine polisher do you have? Toying with getting one for spring so I can give it a good going over and maybe ceramic coat it myself.

Interested to see the final results, make sure you take plenty of before and after pictures!

Collins Cp2 map. Ramair induction. Mountune mud flaps. Scorpion Sports Cat. Scorpion Tracker. Wind deflectors. NB washer jets and shark fin aerial. EBC Grooved discs, YellowStuff pads. Airtec Intercooler, Miltek cat back with titanium tips. Collins quickshift. DSC Controller

grunty-motor
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@coastliner

I done a few ceramics on the wifes/other cars

• Gyeon Cancoat – super easy to use and works remarkably well. Good start point
    • Gtechnic CSL+EXOv3 – good initial results but seemed to drop of quick (note, Focus was done proffesionally with CSBlack and Exov2 and still is good 4year on)
    • Gyeon Syncro – I find this a very good product, but others have reported a fast drop off of Skin. I top it with Cure every couple months and it is still sheeting like crazy. My fave so far.

There are so many products out there, it is very confusing to try and pick one.

have a look here

kr1s
    Participant

UK - England

Reading this

Ceramic coating is essential I guess.

There  are 100,000+ reasons why not essential right now.

DaveRS3
    Participant

United Kingdom

100,000+ my arris!. Thats 100,000 (92% over age of 75) that have died within 28 days of a positive test.

Ceramic is not a miracle treatment and not essential at all as it only helps you keep the car cleaner for longer due to the hydrophobic nature of the ceramic. It will give some chemical protection against bird shite, tree sap and other fallout but a keen enthusiast will ensure non of that is an issue by keeping on top of the cleaning. It does nothing to protect against scratches or stone chips etc.

I had Gtechniq Black topped with Exo v3 installed on mine when new 4 years ago (Cost me nigh on a grand including wheels off C5 and Interior protect with Smart Fabric) and its still going strong. Definitely makes the car a lot easier to look after – washing and especially drying takes less time. I like the gloss which comes back after every wash although a fresh layer of a good wax is warmer and nicer IMO – just doesn’t last very long by comparison.

Stripe, What package did you go for?. When you say a 2 stage detail, do you mean a 2 stage polish?. A full detail will consist of at least half dozen stages but a 2 stage polish (Compound and Polish) is normal for a lightly swirled car.

What ceramic is being installed?.

I think a lot of cars have different colour front bumper, especially the white ones as they where painted and installed separately to the rest of the car.

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

@turbo-tone

All the product and the machine polisher is Maguires, got a kit from Ultimate Finish, the kit came with two pads a bag and the medium and fine grade product was about £350 but that said this polisher is geared towards DIY use. They do offers and discount codes quite regularly.

@ grunty-motor

Thank you for posting that will have a look, I machine polished a year ago and it looks fine although it was first proper go and I know a professional would achieve a better end result but just cannot justify paying £1k for it to be done.

@ DaveRS3

Got to agree with what your saying its not essential, I think people see what others are doing and feel they have to do the same.

Coastliner

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

A link to the Machine Polisher.

Meguiar’s MT320 Dual Action Polisher & Kits | Ultimate Finish (theultimatefinish.co.uk)

Coastliner

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by coastliner.

grunty-motor
    Participant

UK - Scotland

“”……. I machine polished a year ago and it looks fine although it was first proper go and I know a professional would achieve a better end result but just cannot justify paying £1k for it to be done.””

Couldnt agree more – After paying for the RS (which i will say still looks ace and they did better than i could) I do it myself now and get maybe 80% of they way there at a cost of £50-100 depending on the product. And i enjoy it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Ceramic coating. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!