Changed Offset – Thoughts?

Home Forums Styling Wheels Changed Offset – Thoughts?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

comedysi
    Participant

UK - England

Guys – I know I’ve asked this question before, but wanting to place order for replacement wheels next week.

i think a few guys are running the standard 8×19 et50 wheels with 15 mm spacers, and they look good. i’m considering going for replacement wheels, 8,5×18, et40. that’s a tiny bit further out, so fine…my question is, any thoughts on being even more aggressive and pushing out a tiny bit further? anyone any examples of aggressive fitment pictures?

i’ll be lowering too, either on h&r -20 mm, or whitelines -25mm

thanks for your thoughts and advice!

Si

Pat Godfrey
    Participant

United Kingdom

if you are not using  spacers you will have only stood out around 2mm on standard

if you run spacers on 8.5s by my reckoning you’ll be around 12mm further out than std with spacers

that’s if I’ve got it correct

Nicklas Byriel
    Participant

Denmark

i was thinking about getting some 8,5×19 on ET35 actually – i recon they should still fit fine without sticking out (no spacers)

Pat Godfrey
    Participant

United Kingdom

have I got this right or am I wrong ??

8.5s will only give an additional 12mm wheel width, so on at ET of 35 over the original 50 (if that is std) then you won’t even sit as far out as std wheels with no spacers ??

comedysi
    Participant

UK - England

no, i think you have it wrong. i always use willtheyfit.com – take a look there.

standard wheels is 8×19, et50

some guys are runing 15 mm spacers, so effectively that is an 8×19, et35

i’m proposing 8.5×19, et40 – but not sure if i can go to et38, or if that’ll just poke out too far….

Si

Pat Godfrey
    Participant

United Kingdom

In fact if wheel has increased by 12mm, is all of that amount added to one side of the centre line or both ??

one side makes it easier to work out……my head hurts now ?

Nicklas Byriel
    Participant

Denmark

hm yea, come to think about it, my original plan with going for 8.5 width and ET 35 might be too much – and ET40 would probably be better (think i initially forgot that the originals is 8J and not 8.5)

Pat Godfrey
    Participant

United Kingdom

You’ve got me now……..ET 35 is 35mm from the hub face to outer rim ?? Yeh ? So ET40 is 40mm therefore wheel will stick out more, not less ?

Pat Godfrey
    Participant

United Kingdom

I’m wanting to by some wheels but even the supplies don’t seem able to work it out for me from comparing the standard wheel pulled out by the 15mm, to adding an extra half to one inch on wheel width and calculating the ET

like I said does the additional width get added either side of the centre line or just the hub side

Not even sure I’m making any sense now !

Pat Godfrey
    Participant

United Kingdom

The Revo wheels on the upgrades section are 8.5s with an offset of 45 if you take a look. So that’s a bigger ET not lesser ?

Nicklas Byriel
    Participant

Denmark

opposite way around Pat 🙂 The lower the ET number the more they will stick out! 🙂 use http://www.willtheyfit.com to check how much!

So in comparison the original 8×19 ET 50 vs 8,5×19 ET 45 the 8,5 ET 45 will poke out 11,4mm more than the originals (and people tend to run the originals with 12-15mm spacers which do not poke out too much)

Pat Godfrey
    Participant

United Kingdom

I mean the Revo offset is bigger then the offset youre proposing of 35-40

I get that is reduces as the wheel width gets greater…the 8.5s are as you say about 12mm greater on width…..my grain then asks is, is the added width all on one side of the width centre line or even either side thus only actually increasing under wing increases by 6mm external and 6mm internal

Something isn’t computing right in my head ???

Nicklas Byriel
    Participant

Denmark

i think its on both sides it increases when you add to rim width – however, how much it will poke on the inside is actually also calculated (and shown with a picture) if you use the willitfit.com like i wrote earlier..

however, now that i look at it again, i have made some sort of error, right now im getting 19×8,5 ET35 will poke out 15 mm more (externally) than a 19×8 ET50 – and the 19×8,5 ET 35 will actually poke 15mm less on the inside

Pat Godfrey
    Participant

United Kingdom

Oh bigger I hope my questioning hasn’t added to your calculations….I did glance at the link but there are too many variables and alterations that I’m not getting

by adding spacers of 15mm it only add to the external so that increases the ET from 50-65 yeh ? It doesn’t reduce it to 35 ?

im going to have to fully understand this….I’m sure it’s a pierce of cake but until I’m sure I question everything

I tried speaking to someone at a large UK distributor “Wheelbase” the guy was clueless….more clueless than me !!

Nicklas Byriel
    Participant

Denmark

okay i will give you an example then to try and help clarify:

19×8 ET 50 with 15mm spacers will poke out externally the same as:
    19×8 ET 35 without spacers

Internally though would be a bit different, because the spacers moves the whole tire/rim instead of just the offset itself, as far as i can think of anyhow

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Changed Offset – Thoughts?. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!