Clutch slip!!!

Home Forums Performance Transmission Clutch slip!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

reuben
    Participant

South Africa

Took my RS to Ford dealer today for clutch slip. Was intermittent but now permanent. Most noticeable from 3rd gear upwards @ about 3000rpm and higher obviously. Dealer did a test drive and said the pressure plate needs replacing. Clutch has done 20 000 miles. Dealer says it is a big job to replace the clutch and would require my car for at least 1 week. Is this true? Has anyone had their clutch replaced.

muzzie
    Participant

UK - England

<p>I had my clutch replaced last week and the Ford dealer quoted me 8hrs to complete the job. However due to the time it took to inspect the components and order replacement parts, they had the car all week. Sounds about right to me</p>

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

really, if the centre plate is wearing, then thats because the pressure plate is not clamping strongly enough, ( and obviously due to driver abuse/ launching/riding the clutch etc etc!) I’d go for an aftermarket pressure plate that has a slightly higher clamping force  and a new centre plate ( and put up with SLIGHTLY heavier clutch pedal) if my gearbox was coming out for that job, I’d want it done once, and once properly . Innit.

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

@71-bda: Thanks for pointing out abuse/riding the clutch. This begs some questions about proper driver’s education and good practice. For me seating position is the key. There is enough leg room to rest your left foot on the pedestal, always. In 1979, when getting my licence, cars where a wee bit less sophisticated, electronically speaking. The clutch pedal was so heavy that a cramp in the calf could easily occur in an ordinary traffic jam (the formidable Lancia Beta, Coupé and HPE, come to mind). On the other hand, double-clutch shift was our daily practice and we were not exactly driving Miss Daisy when the speed limit was still 100 km/h on B-roads. I haven’t seen a worn clutch in any of my seven Fords, not even after 160’000 kilometers. And when I gave driving lessons to my girls the first thing I paid attention to is that they did not press the clutch when cornering, a typical female beginners behaviour. In other words, there is both: failing clutches (warranty) and, alas, poor drivers.

Revo Stage 1 – JCR super low seating frame – Mishimoto gas pedal spacer – DSC sport controller

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

Bda ? Once broke id have to go upgraded, pointless with stock the hourly rate with ford will also justify upgrade!

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

That eight hour labour charge plus a dual mass flywheel and clutch kit must make a replacement clutch around £1k. Motoring is getting expensive and the £1k figure may be an absolute minimum it could ne nearer £1500.

Coastliner

reuben
    Participant

South Africa

Thanks for all the feedback. Makes sense now for the dealer to keep the vehicle for 1 week. Dealer first wants to open up everything to make sure that it is the pressure plate or perhaps some other problem.

Unfortunately I am the second owner of the RS. So don’t know previous owners driving habits.

The clutch is still under warranty but on a sliding scale.

I will certainly go for an upgraded clutch. The extra pedal effort would not bother me.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Clutch slip!!!. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!