Dash Cam/Parked Cam Advice

Home Forums General Non RS Chat Dash Cam/Parked Cam Advice

• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by frenk.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

ManilvaRS
    Participant

Spain

Hi,

Came down to my car in the communal garage this morning to find kids hand prints all over the bonnet, and what looked like they had ran things down the bonnet.

Given it a quick clean but need to get it out in the sun to see if they left any scratches.

Want to get a dashcam which will record and activate motion sensor while parked. There not too much info about them out here in spain because its a legal grey area, private citizens arent allowed to capture CCTV images without anyone who may appear in thems permission.

Regardless, im gonna do it anyway.

So anyone know or use and decent ones so i can catch these little fekkers.

TIA

bingerc123
    Participant

UK - England

I think you’ll need to run a 2nd battery for this, I have a Ventus atlas front and back camera which are great. But only run when the car does.

Stealth Grey
    Lux pack
    Winter pack
    Sony Audio
    Mud Flaps
    19″ Forged Alloys (black)

frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

Hola @ManilvaRS, welcome.

I can recommend BlackVue Dash cams. I have been using one 2-channel model myself for four years now. Cheers 😎

https://blackvue.com/

P.S. Ask expert people here for proper wiring to avoid battery drain while parking.

Revo Stage 1 – JCR super low seating frame – Mishimoto gas pedal spacer – DSC sport controller

ManilvaRS
    Participant

Spain

Cheers Frenk.

I deffo need something with parking mode. Going to look into them.

v8griff
    Participant

UK - England

I’ll recommend Nextbase, they too have a collusion/movement sensor. It can be a little sensitive, such as driving over a pot hole can trigger the sensor however I’d rather have it too sensitive than not sensitive at all.

Used in the right way I’m a big fan of dash cams. Some w*nker recently thought it would be funny to deliberately try and steer in to my car at about 50MPH when he was alongside me (in a shitty old Vectra).

Funny how  his car is no longer on road, shame.

srea064
    Participant

UK - England

Another recommendation for Nextbase. Great inexpensive cameras that give good clear playback.

Camera has its own internal battery too, although they don’t last long under their own power.

Steve – Magnetic Grey – Sold.

Hope to join Bobcat as an Honorary Member?!?

wheely
    Participant

UK - England

I’ve just hardwired a nextbase 322gw with rear camera to.  Really easy to use and set up and has parking mode that starts video recording when movement detected.  I’ve noticed it saves the moment I get in the car, must be the opening and door shutting that activates it.  Also records for 15min after leaving the car before switching off, (screen save)

Thumbs up from me.

mark-250
    Participant

United Kingdom

I’ve used a blackvue front and rear camera for years had it hardwired to the fuse box in the RS and had a power magic pro so it recorded for a good few hours after turning the car off but this does start to drain the battery my stop start never worked and I do over 50 miles a day.

I have bought the latest version of blackvue now ready for my new car but as it has a silly lightweight battery I have got a Cellink neo 6 to power the dash cam.

this is basically an external battery that will power the dashcam for upto days without any drain on the car battery and it automatically charges when you drive the    car

Egen Cellink NEO 6 Dash Cam Battery Pack by EGEN with Smart LifePO4 Technology for Extended Parking Mode Operation and Recording Time https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07V97GNGN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Y18NGCGJAAE9SR9K45F5

rs-jon
    Participant

UK - England

As above what mark-250 says – I have a Blackvue 750 front and rear set up and was running the Blackvue battery but it wasnt enough so Chris Preston (Veil Tuning/Ghost) fitted me with the Cellink Neo and now I get nearly 24 hours of parked up use when the Neo is fully charged (battery charge time is 40 minutes).

ManilvaRS
    Participant

Spain

Cheers guys, gives me plenty to look into today on works time.

Things escalated over the weekend, id reported what had happened to the President of the urbanizacion and the management company, came down to the car yesterday to find someone had done one of my rear tyres, must have been recent too as air was still hissing out of the sidewall, hole was very obviously a knife mark.

Mega pissed off, id only had a new set of all 4 in August.

Tyrefitter
    Participant

UK - England

Interesting read,I have the thinkware front & rear dash cam hardwired,I might just invest in one of these NEO 6 battery packs,has anyone hardwired one in the RS,if so which fuse/fuses did you use.?

Andy.

Red Edition.

grunty-motor
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Instead of dashcam, is there any way you can fit a security camera in the building somewhere? You can get battery operated ones.

sounds like you are going to need something to capture footage from the sides.

hopefully you get to the bottom of this quickly

ManilvaRS
    Participant

Spain

The management company has been dragging its heals over fitting CCTV for a while now. But im pushing the issue given whats happened.

I could set up something sneakily myself powered from the electric in my lock up behind my garage space. The only issue is that here in Spain private citizens cant make video recordings and submit it as evidence, because anyone who may wonder into the picture need to give their permission to be filmed.

So imagine you have a dash cam and someone whams into you, if you submit that to insurance or the police, the other person can denounce you for making a video recording of them without their permission, and then its you who’s in the shit! Backwards rule or what.

frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

Yeah, the discussion about privacy and recording media has been going on in Switzerland for the last 20 years. Especially lawyers and lefties shout blindly about data protection without even bothering with the technical details.

In Switzerland it is strictly forbidden to point a private camera onto public space. However, if you film private property, say your entrance gate, this is allowed, though, as long as you inform the police that you do so. There are restrictions with how long you may store the data.

Dashcams are a grey area here. Insurance companies are afraid. Police is not bothered and they very well welcome footage about traffic accidents, as for films taken by cell phones, interestingly. Jugdes do not want the spread of deputy sheriffs, a concern that is understandable given that the general Swiss driver is a telltale schoolmaster.

One of my filmed episodes was used in a traffic accident (passing the red light). The police officer went to his knees because I saved him 3 months worth of extra work for evidence collection. He said, the Swiss judge that is not going to use video evidence presented by the police has to be born yet.

Revo Stage 1 – JCR super low seating frame – Mishimoto gas pedal spacer – DSC sport controller

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Dash Cam/Parked Cam Advice. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!