Drove a Subaru WRX STI today

Home Forums General Non RS Chat Drove a Subaru WRX STI today

• This topic has 36 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by A.
Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author

howsey2-0
    Blocked

UK - Wales

I was never a fan of Evo’s, either. Typical drug dealers car.  @Kenneth – The 22b and the R34 — those were the days.?

RSDave
    Participant

UK - England

Just watch reviews and tests of both cars online the sti loses badly in all of them you can’t compare the cars especially round track

rampant
    Participant

UK - England

That entirely depends on what you mean by “loses badly”, Dave.

In my world, it is driving pleasure that is the most important facet of any driving experience.  Probably the best car I have owned over the years in terms of driving pleasure was the 993 Carrera S.  It only had 285bhp and even less torque due to being naturally aspirated.  It had a zero-sixty in the mid-5s. So in objective terms, you might be proud to say that it would “lose badly” to your RS.  But that would be to entirely miss the point of my original motivation to post this thread.

I can tell you, categorically, that the 993 driving experience was far more thrilling, rewarding, and ultimately more satisfying than my RS.  Sure, it is objectively slower, both in a straight line, as well as in the bends, so feel free to disagree with my sentiment.  Of course, 911s are not to everyone’s taste.  Many people just keep telling me that “they just under-steer”.  Which is true, if you drive them like a front drive car.  However, if you adopt a different driving technique, (a more demanding and cerebral method – which takes time – and which is why earlier 911s aren’t for everyone), they tend not to under-steer, and instead deliver a truly rewarding experience where the rear squats, keeps the nose nailed toward the apex while making the rear tyres squirm against the tarmac.  Delicious.  Not sliding, or drifting.  That’d be madness in a 911 unless you are a driving god.  Which I’m not.  However, in time I could still plumb the shallower depths of 911 character to find that deliciousness.  Still, 911s are not for everyone.

I would also point out that the current Audi RS3, for instance, successfully deploys 400bhp and is a real fast car.  Ultimately, though, we all know Audis are, generally, a bit wooden, one-dimensional, “safe” and a bit numb at the helm.  So, again, for me, it’s all about the experience and the pleasure.  Focus RS Mk3 would certainly get my nod of approval over the RS3 for driving pleasure, despite “losing badly” in outright performance terms.

On track days, I couldn’t really give 2 hoots about being as fast as the next guy.  Some people get really hung up on lap time, and to me, this is detrimental to the overall pleasure to be had from driving a car on a circuit.

Also, when setting a car up for racing, a team would tend to be driven into setting a car up for the fastest lap time.  The driver himself, may tend toward a different setup, one that is more “fun”, perhaps, or one that is easier to drive, but both of which are not as fast on track.  This is well documented.  When Racing, lap time is clearly more important, and lap time is focused upon well above driver experience or pleasure.

Here endeth the evangelisation about “loses” in performance terms versus “loses” in pleasure terms.

Personally, I’ll stick with pleasure every time.

Yours Aye

Mark H

// ’17 Nitrous Blue // Forged Alloys // Michelin Super Sports // Painted Calipers // Sync 3 // Lux Pack // Winter Pack // Black Gel Spoiler Badges // Blue Gel Wheel Inserts // GTechniq Liquid Crystal // GTechniq Alloy Armour // sold Jun ’18

rampant
    Participant

UK - England

Howsey, if you think Evos were a drug dealer’s car, you might want to re-consider that, after I mention the name Tommi Makinen?

// ’17 Nitrous Blue // Forged Alloys // Michelin Super Sports // Painted Calipers // Sync 3 // Lux Pack // Winter Pack // Black Gel Spoiler Badges // Blue Gel Wheel Inserts // GTechniq Liquid Crystal // GTechniq Alloy Armour // sold Jun ’18

howsey2-0
    Blocked

UK - Wales

Tommy, who? Didn’t he play drums for Motley Crue? I’m pretty sure he liked drugs…….a lot.

ukmd
    Participant

UK - England

I have an RS and a Subaru STi 340R. Completely different cars to own and drive. The Focus suffers from serious steering issues under hard acceleration but scores best on most other aspects. The Subaru is noisy, bumpy and basic feels insanely quick and easier to trust when pushing hard.

A
    Participant

UK - England

@ukmd, we had a 320r and I regret trading it for the 2016 model which was a downhill move. Completely agree with your views on the two. What is interesting is on a weekend when I can choose either, I go for the RS without having ever really thought why. On balance it’s  the sound system and ride I think ?

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Drove a Subaru WRX STI today. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!