EML, p0299, but no problem with boost

Home Forums Performance Electronics/ECU EML, p0299, but no problem with boost

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

esper-linask
    Participant

Estonia

I’ve been running the COBB’s OTS Stage 1 map for a few weeks now, and today I got my first code. I was accelerating hard and suddenly a yellow EML popped up. I stopped the car, turned off the engine, connected the COBB AP and the p0299 (underboost) code was listed. However, I couldn’t really feel anything wrong with the boost or the car itself. When I restarted the car, the EML light was gone. So, I decided to clear the code as well and simulated the situation again. And again the light came up. This time I decided to reinstall the OEM map, clear the code and go for another test run. I simulated the situation numerous times, but no EML nor code appeared. I logged the data as well, and the maximum boost was 1.25 bar / 18 psi while the outside temperature was 8C° / 46.4 F°. On comparison, on COBB’s Stage 1 the maximum boost I got was 1.33 bar / 19 psi. There are no other mods on the car, bar a K&N filter, a Velossa Tech Big Mouth Ram Air kit, and I also recently removed the bonnet insulation.

So, long story short: should I be worried, or was it just something to do with the COBB’s OTS map? The car is already booked for a car-specific dyno tuning on October 1, so I will stick with the OEM map until then.

Shadow Black 2017 RS Mk3

RS@WUB
    Participant

UK - England

I’m no expert but think when reading few weeks ago underboosting could be the recirc valve, just a guess.

JohnD
    Participant

UK - England

Your boost levels look low to me.   What is the octane of the fuel you use in Estonia?   If it’s low octane, the ECU could be holding back boost (and possibly timing) to preserve the engine.  Alternatively, there could be a boost leak or as mentioned, weak blow-off valve.

Running super unleaded the standard map should give around 1.6 bar on overboost.

JohnD

esper-linask
    Participant

Estonia

I’m always using 98 RON. I have ordered a Turbosmart BOV that has the BRA included, maybe it will improve things.

Shadow Black 2017 RS Mk3

esper-linask
    Participant

Estonia

To rule out a leak, what would be the most typical pipe/place to have one? All the pipes seem to be standard. I must admit I’m quite worried now, as I don’t think I’ve ever seen the boost gauge to hit 1.6 bar. I only got the Accessport a few weeks ago, so I can’t be sure of the previous exact boost pressure, though.

Shadow Black 2017 RS Mk3

esper-linask
    Participant

Estonia

So, just in case I installed the Turbosmart BOV as well as the BRA and then took the car to a COBB tuner. The good news is that they managed to tune it to 381 hp @ 5550 RPM with 584.3 Nm @ 2975 RPM, but what really disappointed me were the stock readings of 279 hp @ 5675 RPM with 498 Nm @ 3500 RPM (stock torque was actually more than “advertised”, but still). Anyway, the car feels snappy and alive now, so I’m happy.

Shadow Black 2017 RS Mk3

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to EML, p0299, but no problem with boost. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!