Engine Bay Detail, what to cover?

Home Forums Styling Bodywork & Detailing Engine Bay Detail, what to cover?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

a-dandy-scot
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Hey everyone,

I have had my RS for a few weeks now and its been needing a bit of TLC in the engine bay. Just wondering if anyone can point me towards which areas to protect from a hose with plastic bags/covers?

The air filter, battery, fuse box, alternator (I am not sure where that is in the bay any guidance on that would be much appreciated), and anything else I should keep safe from the hose?

kr1s
    Participant

UK - England

Do you have to use a hose?

Kenny
    Keymaster

UK - Scotland

Alot of the times you can give it a good clean by using brushes and cloths. Alot safer IMO

a-dandy-scot
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@kr1s, I have seen quite a few guides that do a hose down after cleaning.

Hey @Kenny, aye I was thinking about using Auto Finesse citrus power or autoglym’s engine bay cleaner, spraying over and brushing down in detail brushes then doing a quite hose down then dry. Just wondering about sensitive areas of the engine bay to cover from the hose?

DaveRS3
    Participant

United Kingdom

I just use a 1:10 dilution of APC. Would recomend Bilt Hamber Surfex in a small bucket with a selection of brushes and some old microfibres. I know you can hose or even pressure wash safely but I wouldnt do that to a relatively new car as it shouldn’t need it.

I have used harsh degreasers before but i find the APC to work best on a lightly dirty bay and certainly the cheapest method.

I’d then apply a coating to the plastics such as Angelwax Elixr.

Matt. B
    Participant

UK - England

Ive seen people snow foam the entire engine bay. So im sure its ok. Not sure i would do it though.

440bhp

443lbft

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

we used to steam clean engine bays when the engine was fully hot so would help drying out, on the RS i would try and cover/seal off every wiring connector i could see and if you can find the alternator put a cloth or something over it to stop any direct water getting in. then away you go not too high pressure and not too close.

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

mexicoian
    Participant

UK - England

No water in there just brings trouble ,, just cloths and engine cleaner products ??

a-dandy-scot
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Thank you for the advice everyone! I don’t feel very confident with a hosing down quite yet, think it will be degreaser, brushes and lots of microfiber cloths this time 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Engine Bay Detail, what to cover?. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!