Engine failure

Home Forums Performance Engine Engine failure

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Jori Heinonen
    Participant

Sweden

Hey all,

so last weekend the dreaded happened which you don’t want anyone to get. My engine started making a really bad engine knock sound which followed the revs. It is now at a ford dealer in Stockholm and on Monday they’ll be opening up the engine and checking all the bearings and if there is metal traces in the oil. Suspect that it’s the rod bearings or some other bearings that have failed.

Anyone else who have heard or experienced engine failure with their RS?

My car is only 9 months old and has about 20000km on the clock.

-17 Frozen White RS

mountune lowering springs

mountune intake

cobra venom catback exhaust

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

not heard of bottom end issues, only a few with broken piston skirts

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

Jori Heinonen
    Participant

Sweden

Yeh i haven’t heard of it either until mine last weekend. I just hope warranty will cover it. (Which it should) considering it’s only done 20000km and is 9 months old.

But I seems like whatever the problem is I’m gonna need a new engine.

I even had an appointment for my first service and the head gasket recall on Monday, and then this happened last weekend. FML

-17 Frozen White RS

mountune intake

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

be careful with the exhaust and intake , I believe they can void the warranty on those items..

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

red-leader
    Participant

UK - England

Hi Jori, what bad luck. I hope the dealer gets it sorted for you under warranty and you’re back behind the wheel soon. Please keep us updated on progress.

Jori Heinonen
    Participant

Sweden

Yeh i do hope so too, the intake does not affect the base warranty according to mountune atleast. That was one reason why I bought it. The exhaust on the other hand though, depends really on the dealer I guess. And they’ve been nothing but nice with my car.

Had problems early on with my drive modes not working and they looked at it and it was the cable to my right rear damper that was bad. And they fixed that very swiftly for me. ?

-17 Frozen White RS

mountune intake

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

oh, I thought you meant the inlet manifold, not the fpm375 pipe.

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit?

Jori Heinonen
    Participant

Sweden

Update:

mechanic contacted me and confirmed what we both thought. Cylinder nr 4 bearing was shot and making the noise. 

So now we wait a response from ford in what the next step is, new engine most likely but the question was if they get a complete new engine with a new head or if they just order a new block.

-17 Frozen White RS

mountune intake

red-leader
    Participant

UK - England

I do hope Ford fix this under warranty for you. As long as the garage do a good job on the rebuild that’s the main thing, you want it back as it was before the failure. Thanks for keeping us all posted.

v8marshal
    Participant

UK - England

Sorry to hear this. Hope you get this sorted soon.

Lotus104
    Participant

Sweden

Bad luck, this usually happens with to low oil pressure/flow but could also be fabrication error with the bearings.

Haven’t heard of this problem on a RS before.

Hope they sort it out for you and puts in a new engine for you.

RS Edition , built 13/9-18 , and delivered 9/11-18

Mountune: R.M.M. / Roll restrictor, PTU Brace, Breather plate & Re-circulating valve.

Mishimoto: I/C + pipe kit, Catch can, Blue Aluminum expansion tank

Ford Performance / Remus cat back Exhaust

FSWERKS short shift kit.

quantiTEC Smoked rear lights.

jonyscam
    Participant

UK - England

Good luck with the repair.

Kenny
    Keymaster

UK - Scotland

Have you been driving the car hard?

Jori Heinonen
    Participant

Sweden

Specify hard?

Haven’t been to any track days with it yet. Was going to after my first service. Have I drifted it a few times during my ownership. Yes I have. But I can’t say I’ve driven it “hard”.

Update: mechanic contacted me today and Ford told them to replace the engine(they were gonna change it anyhow). It was just a matter of if it’s a complete engine or just the block. But Ford said replace the whole engine. So now I just wait for them to order the new engine and install it. ?

-17 Frozen White RS

mountune intake

frozex
    Participant

Sweden

Oh, a fellow sweede 🙂

Nice that u’ve got a new engine!

DS imap  Ultima 2 map

Turbosmart bov 50/50 with BRA installed

Cobb rear motor mount

Scorpion non res cat-back exhaust

K&N air filter

Mountune intake

Mountune suppression chamber

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Engine failure. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!