*Engine Failure – possible cause*

Home Forums Performance Engine *Engine Failure – possible cause*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 106 total)
  • Author

Ukjon
    Participant

United Kingdom

This has been posted on our sister site:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1875296052715721&id=1537173069861356

Enough said I think?

Wish it was better news…………

Regards

Kenny
    Keymaster

UK - Scotland

rs-juh
    Participant

Netherlands

I wonder if it is as simple as under or over torquing? It almost seems that way ….
    under and the h.g. Starts leaking , over and it cracks at the bolts ?
    mine is find for now with 10000 miles and the m380 tune but for how long ?

Kenny
    Keymaster

UK - Scotland

Was it not the same block as used in the Mustang tho, if it was just a block issue it would have been brought up before now.

RS77
    Participant

UK - England

Am I the only one to be very concerned about this issue? In addition to this instance, there’s similar examples circulating on other sites, e.g. Fezza on Youtube. As the proud owner of a low mileage RS, I’m worried that I may not do enough miles for the fault to develop within my warranty period. I’ve asked both Ford and my local dealer, but both say they are not aware of any general faults with either the HG or the block. I have also heard some comment that Ford are aware of issues with early cars and have applied a “fix” for those with VINs above 4000.

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

@pnp77, It’s worth having a service check especially if you have reached around the 1500 mile mark for all the oil seals. Spotting oil spots early while you still have warranty is a must IMO.

Honorary Member

howsey
    Blocked

UK - Wales

I hope my engine blows up when I’m outside the house, I’d hate to be on the Black mountains. It would just be more convenient.

RS77
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks, Bobcat. Good advice. I asked Ford to check all that during the pcm update recently.

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

@pnp77, had my pcm upgrade, WOW what a difference it’s made to the pops and bangs ?

Honorary Member

rossco
    Participant

UK - England

Hi all I have experienced engine problems and I am going through the process of getting a new engine

My car started off by pouring out thick white smoke on start up and after a few weeks it would shake vigorously when started along with thick plumes of white smoke and has used a lot of coolant lately.

I topped it up with 2 litres of coolant and was still showing below the minimum mark so I took it to my local ford store 3 weeks ago

Originally they were going to replace the head gasket then I got a call from them to say Ford have authorised a new engine and I will hopefully get the car back in under a week with a brand new engine

Ross

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

@ Ross ireland. sorry to hear about that mate, at least a new engine should sort it. When was your car registered? what sort of mileage did it start playing up at? did you run it in hard or take it easy-ish? Any mods 375 380 tunes etc? Mike

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

rossco
    Participant

UK - England

@Mike Parker

Hi mike my car was registered about 10 months ago and started playing up at 10k miles and I never ran it in just kicked the shit out of it ?

Oh and I have a mountune Axle-back exhaust on it and I orderd a FPM375 kit 3 months ago and got the call last week to say it’s in. But I’m gonna run this one in properly with an oil change in about 1500-2000 miles

RS77
    Participant

UK - England

Ross

I know of around 6 cases of engine failure – all on early cars like yours. I wonder whether a new engine will be any better. Although, I’ve heard that the newer models have (slightly) revised blocks to minimise the risk of this happening again, but I’m not clear what this involves, e.g. thicker section around the head bolts, better HG, etc.

It would be good to hear if anyone has heard from Ford on this issue? As I said above, they told me they have no knowledge of any general problems with the block/HG and certainly don’t intend to issue any recalls or advice to current owners.

rs-juh
    Participant

Netherlands

Just out of curiosity, everybody that had an engine failure when did you do your first oil change ?

The reason for asking is that is was told by the ford dealership mechanics not to change the oil earlier than prescribed (20000km) . I wanted a change at 1500km.

appearently they put something in the oil in the factory to coat the engine and it needs to stay in there ….?

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

@rs-huh, after more than 35 years connected to the motor industry I’ve never heard of anything like that. The oil is the oil supplied in bulk it’s the same as when the the fuel is supplied. Engine failure could be down to several reasons, that’s why Ford (and other manufacturers) take it seriously by investigating each one. I do believe in a service check at 1500 miles/2500 kilometres especially to get those oil seals checked out early.

Honorary Member

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 106 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to *Engine Failure – possible cause*. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!