*Engine Failure – possible cause*

Home Forums Performance Engine *Engine Failure – possible cause*

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 106 total)
  • Author

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

Ive heard the ‘first fill’ oil in the engine from new has a dye in it that shows up under UV light ? The engine ‘failures’ are not oil or lubrication related anyway, so its not an oil issue its water loss/headgasket failure/ block failure, down to design or manufacturing. In any case, the engine does not benefit from an oil and filter change before the scheduled first 12500m service, it achieves nothing, just a waste of money and oil.

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

howsey
    Blocked

UK - Wales

If anyone changed the oil and the head/block went, Ford would be rubbing their hands (special dye?). You don’t need an oil change, this isn’t the 1940’s.

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Sorry I’ll sign off now

Honorary Member

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

oh Bob… please dont go !!…

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

howsey
    Blocked

UK - Wales

That’s not me. I googled quizzical.

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Guys, by me having a service check at 1500 miles and getting the garage to check all the seals resulted in the mechanic finding oil spots, I wondered why the check was taking so long, the mechanic wasn’t 100% sure where they from so he took some photographs and said that they (the garage) would contact Fords and see what they had to say and they’ll contact me with what they found. A couple of days later I had a phone call to say could I take my car back to the garage for further investigation and there will be an engineer from Fords to examine what the mechanic had found. Although I didn’t notice any oil loss it turned out to be the Turbo oil seal was leaking, the engineer from Fords agreed it was faulty, but they can not replace the seal on it’s own the hole unit will have to be replaced that ment the Turbo too, all under warranty.

So it was left with the garage ordering a new Turbo unit and me not using my car until the parts arrived. I had the call to say the parts where in and could I take my car back, oh and they’ll need it for three days, also the Ford engineer would be there to take away the old unit for further investigations. The engineer commented that whilst it was not a common problem it could have been serious if not found early.

The car is running perfectly, and when I’ve done another 500 mile take it back for a warranty check. Due to some family issues and holidays I’ve not quite put on the 500 miles, in fact I’m 61 miles short. But I’ll take it back soon.

So in essence do have a service check at 1500 miles ?

Honorary Member

rs-juh
    Participant

Netherlands

Guys (and girls) it’s not something I made up….. I wanted an oil change , just to be sure , and I have to pay for it so it’s not money related.

appearently the additive in the oil has to build up a coating in the engine .

other engines have had the same in the past. It’s an aluminium block and no sleeves. Don’t know how what or why it would cause an engine failure or if they have anything to do with it .

i was just wondering

Jack Roberts
    Participant

UK - England

is the engine/ car under warranty or do you have to pay for an engine install?

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

@ Jack Roberts. its under warranty. No relation to Steve Roberts ??

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit?

Graham John
    Participant

UK - England

i am glad that there is a general opinion that there is no requirement for a oil change other than at the main service interval – i was considering getting a fresh oil change after hearing various comments however the general opinion seem s to be at 12500 (not knocking anyone who wants to do interim oil changes if they feel they want to)

will be keeping an eye on the coolant level though

As a matter of interest, would the new Focus use any oil  through natural driving or should it be that it never uses oil between services (My Mk 2 FRS never used a drop between services)

cheeRS

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

@ graham john,  I really think oil consumption is down to how its driven and maybe to a very small degree how hard the car was driven for the first couple of hundred miles maybe.  My oil at 1000 miles is still clean and level has not dropped at all, nor has coolant. never gave it more than 3500 rpm for first 400 miles, then 4500 to 800 miles and never full throttle until now. My oil will just be getting changed yearly as Ford say.

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit?

GrahamH
    Participant

United Kingdom

Mike, I pretty much did the same.  not over 3K for 800 miles but varied speed and revs even on dual carriageways. horrible to drive like this and rubbish fuel economy (never drove on the shift up number indicator, kept the revs a tad higher) .  I did give it full throttle now and then up to 3000 RPM but when oil was fully hot. After 600 miles I crept up the revs bit by bit up to 1000 miles, so at 1000 miles I was probably up to 5,500 rpm. I never go over 3000RPM until oil temp is right up there, and only then I give it full beans.  My oil level never dropped over 1400 miles and its clear as a bell. just had the oil changed.

I think the key is to not use excessive revs till the oil temp if fully hot, (can take quite a few miles).  Dont use excessive revs on a new engine for the first few hundred miles, vary revs and dont labour engine.  I may be right or wrong but decided on this approach after reading lots of bedding in tips, seemed to have worked for me.

GrahamH
    Participant

United Kingdom

sorry typo should be after 800 miles crept the revs up, not 600.

quadslo
    Participant

Slovenia

Do we know how many engines failures were registered and at white mileage? I own one of the first RS deliveries and wanted to upgrade to M380 kit. But since this voids warranty, I really don’t want to have engine failure. I’ve done 9000miles.

Liam Eccarius
    Participant

UK - England

Hi Everyone

Just been reading through all of this as I have had a similar issue.

I got my RS at the end of October 2016 it was running perfectly and had an oil change at 10000 miles. Since getting it back it started pouring out thick white smoke and sounding rough.

I took my car back into ford on the 3rd of may 2017, 6 days later they said that ford have given the go ahead to provide a new engine.

The engine has arrived but they are now waiting for the mounting bolts which are on back order to the factory and are estimated to arrive around the 16th of July!!

(I’ve tried to upload some pictures and videos but it won’t let me)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 106 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to *Engine Failure – possible cause*. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!