Engine noise when idling

Home Forums Performance Engine Engine noise when idling

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

guestyrs
    Participant

UK - England

Hi, my engine makes a sort of shorting noise when idling, is this normal.

its nothing to do with head gasket because mines just been in and had new head and gasket and it made this noise before and after. The revs are fine just this noise every 2 seconds or so.

Thanks

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

what does a ‘shorting noise’ sound like?

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

guestyrs
    Participant

UK - England

guestyrs
    Participant

UK - England

Tried uploading a short video but not happening for some reason.

noise could be described as a buzzing sound or as I said before a electrical shorting noise. Could be normal, only had the car 3 weeks so still getting to know the characteristics.

MrL
    Participant

UK - England

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Could be something vibrating, that would sound like a high pitched buzzing and would probably only happen on start up with slightly higher engine idle.</p>

RS77
    Participant

UK - England

High pressure fuel pump might be what you can hear if it’s coming from top of the engine just behind the intake crossover pipe. Noise stops if you disconnect the electrical connection. Nothing to worry about if that is the noise you  can hear.

guestyrs
    Participant

UK - England

Julio Benitez
    Participant

USA

I have the same whirring noise coming from near the intake tube.  Whats the concensus? Its normal?

Thanks in advance,

J

Pault2038
    Participant

UK - England

Any1 find out what this noise is?
    my rs is making same noise

crocket81
    Participant

UK - England

Think its the Pcv valve resonating, mine doesn’t hardly do it since changing the block plate to a mountune one!

chris-rs380
    Participant

UK - England

As above, pcv valve on the standard breather plate

Pault2038
    Participant

UK - England

Is it ok to keep driving car with this whining/buzzing noise or will it cause damage?

Would you recommend getting Mountune breather plate then to stop the whining/buzzing noise?

crocket81
    Participant

UK - England

It wont hurt at all mate, mine still does it now and again even with the moutune plate fitted, i would advise you get a breather plate and catch can setup not due to the noise but for the carbon that builds up on the back of the intake valves, a big problem on direct injection engines

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Engine noise when idling. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!