Engine revisions and dates released – Block cracking between cylinder 2 & 3

Home Forums Performance Engine Engine revisions and dates released – Block cracking between cylinder 2 & 3

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Eddiewin87
    Participant

Australia

Hi Guys,

Just trying to find out how many engine revisions there are, the dates they were released and how to find out which one I have?

From my understanding there are 5 visions of the 2.3 ecoboost for the RS.

The 5th vision supposedly has been made stronger due to cracking in the mid exhaust side of the block between cylinder 2 & 3 where it is quite thin and has less structural support unlike the front of the block.

Aussie V8 rivalry is dead.

Holden V8 Traitor.

xForce 3″ catback varex exhaust

Mountune Cold Air Intake

Forge Recirculation Valve

Dreamscience Ultima 2

Magnetic Grey

Gel spoiler inserts

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

I thought the blocks that cracked where the ones that the head gaskets failed and caused a lockup in the cylinder putting tons of undersigned force into the blocks causing the cracking.

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

o1turbo30v
    Participant

USA

All the RS engine blocks are the same, no revisions.

Lionel Mandrake
    Blocked

UK - England

I’m getting a vision. There’s only one version.

gary1234
    Participant

UK - England

Ask yourself  howsey is Lionel more of a spanner than you

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

@turbo30… all RS blocks the same?

Ford has made 5 changes to the 2.3L Ecoboost Block since its first release. Most of them have been minor, but some have been substantial. Some of the first variants/part numbers were casting changes. The quality from V1-2 to V3 was much different, smoother, and much much cleaner. V4 changed the slotting on the deck it looked, and very minor other changes. V5 was the biggest change, all the oil galleys were changed from a huge aeronautical style rivet to threaded bungs. The rivets weren’t able to be replaced if you ever took the engine apart unless you had a $100,000 machine or a $10,000 tool. So on the older engines we would just thread them and plug them ourself, or use freeze plugs. Then the other difference were the reliefs on the deck surface between the cylinders.

Now, V5 started showing up to us for builds around NOVEMBER of 2016, I imagine they were used in previous build months before we were able to get them as just a empty block. Since the RS has released we have been seeing nothing but the V5 block come in from customers for builds, but just last week we received a complete longblock from a customer that was complaining of sputtering/noise/ and powerloss.

We disassembled his engine and found damage to the #3 cylinder wall, and the gasket was slightly damaged on that cylinder. I inspected the block and found it was a V4, instead of a V5. I asked the customer for the build dates and it was a few months before we started seeing the V5.

So, it seems some of the very first Focus RS’s were built with the V4 block, but that isn’t the only weird thing we noticed. The head gasket was a different part number that what is requested by Ford as a replacement. I was already aware of the different gaskets for 2.3 in EU vs US but have yet to see one on an engine here. So I went back to another longblock that came in from a customer and it was V5, but had the new headgasket part number on it. His engine was perfect, just wanted a build so no blown head gasket.

With all this different info, I came to the following conclusion. The engine/gasket you get is not specific to your build date, it is going to be specific to the engine in your car. Now this isn’t saying that anyone with a V4 engine is going to have an issue it seems to be very hit or miss. I have customers that have checked that have been tuned for 10K+ miles with zero issues. It seems the ones that ARE having issues are happening within the very first thousand miles and most have been UNTUNED. To see if you have a V4 or V5 engine you are going to need to look just above your starter, there are two plugs, a larger one and a smaller one. You want to look at the smaller one almost directly behind the starter on the front of your engine just below the intake manifold. Literally dead center of the car. Check to see if it is a flat rivet or a Hex Key plug (16mm diameter)

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

red-leader
    Participant

UK - England

Lionel Mandrake
    Blocked

UK - England

Thanks, Professor Copy Paste.

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

Thank you to Red Leader for the image

We could do with photographs of the  internal / external differences from V4 to V5 as fitted to the RS.

Reading the above the V1 to V3 these weren’t fitted to the RS so must have been (I’m guessing) Mustang motors. So basically if you have a really early build RS their is a chance you could have a V4, but if it’s just a plug against a threaded plug no worries.

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

Lionel manblake, it is far easier to inform someone by cutting and pasting all that info in less than a second than having to write it all down fresh.

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

agreed

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

Lionel Mandrake
    Blocked

UK - England

I find it easier to write about my knowledge and experience than trawl the internet to find someone else’s. You seem to have a constant need to prove how smart you are and how dumb everyone else is. Not everyone is your Dad, BDA.

RS77
    Participant

UK - England

I don’t care where knowledge comes from or how it is presented (e.g. cut and pasted, or original) as long as it’s accurate, relevant and helpful.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

Lionel, from my experience of you on here, I find it easy to say “go and do one pal”

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit?

Lionel Mandrake
    Blocked

UK - England

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Engine revisions and dates released – Block cracking between cylinder 2 & 3. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!