Exhaust flap modifation

Home Forums Performance Exhaust Exhaust flap modifation

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 123 total)
  • Author

johnybigarms
    Participant

UK - England

Has anyone thought the RS sounds great at start up, then quietens after about 10 seconds as the exhaust flap closes ? I know removal of the system would raise a fault light, but has anyone tried removing the flap or perhaps drilling it full of holes to reduce its sound damping abilities?

Thoughts or ideas appreciated, don’t fancy changing out the exhaust as it would effect the warrant, but the meaty sound at start up should be there all the time in my opinion

Mountune M380 package

Mishimoto throttle Pedal Spacer

Mountune Hard Charge Pipes

JCR super low seat frames x 2

DSC Suspension Controller

bigknd
    Participant

United Kingdom

I’ve had a Riverside Racing cat back exhaust fitted for a couple of reasons one that I think that it looks fake when exhaust fumes are only coming out of one tail pipe unless the valve is open. You can see the write up under the exhaust section.

I’ve also seen a video on you tube where they make it sound better when the valve is open by welding a bypass bit of pipe from the main exhaust to the tailpipe with the valve on this bypassing the silencer when the valve is open, this is all done on the standard exhaust. Mines the same on the Riverside Racing exhaust and it makes a great noise when the valve opens and yet civilized whilst cruising around in normal mode. ?

james-mk3
    Participant

United Kingdom

Mine is open until the car warms up just about is that right?

johnybigarms
    Participant

UK - England

That makes sense, the pipe funnels raw sound around the silencer, but still uses the flap to quieten it all when at idle or in normal driving mode, good idea

Mountune M380 package

Pat Godfrey
    Participant

United Kingdom

My system and map won’t have the function or facility for the valve to be in place

johnybigarms
    Participant

UK - England

Bigknd, have u a link on the video clip

Mountune M380 package

bigknd
    Participant

United Kingdom

For all those that are interested video of mod to existing exhaust below

Mine at Riverside Racing

https://www.facebook.com/RiversideRSR

You will need to scroll down their page till reach the 28th December 2016 😉

Even the Carwow guy’s had it done lol

johnybigarms
    Participant

UK - England

Brilliant, Thanks for that, I really like the idea of that, simple way to obtain added exhaust noise without huge expense, possibly ignored by Ford warranty? After all, you still have the original exhaust

Mountune M380 package

phoebee25
    Participant

UK - England

Anybody tried the ‘ Exhaust valve defeat module ” to fool the car that the flaps are plugged in so the Driving modes are all in use.

( by unplugging the Flaps, it will cause a error light and the Drive Modes are disabled ) you can then just lock wire the flaps open.

I think the 2015 VW golf R and 2015 audi flap plugs also work and are the same plugs?

check this out            http://www.grimmspeed.com/exhaust-valve-defeat-module/

The Audi/VW version ( if it is the same, is cheaper on ebay in the uk )

A cheap mod, afully reversible and if it doesn’t work, its only £25.

Just a thought for the compulsive tweakers…

rsdom
    Participant

UK - Wales

Stupid question here but if you select sport mode when you first start the car would the valve not stay open?

sneeky
    Participant

UK - England

Buy a Scorpion without the valve and and it comes with a bracket to mount the motor for the valve, car still thinks its working and no lights on dash.

phoebee25
    Participant

UK - England

It’s just another Possible Exhaust Flap Mod for JohnyBigarms to think about.

It does save pressing the sports button every time ( the stop-start button is a right pain as well ! shame there isn’t a permanent off switch for that!) and maybe prefer fewer pops and bangs with the Exhaust Flap open.

… Sounds like a mod worth doing now, thinking about it!

andycunns
    Participant

United Kingdom

My understanding is a cat back exhaust will not invalidate warranty .. only the exhaust part of warranty .. and replacing with a stainless steel as we all would then you have nothing to worry about as most exhausts come with a lifetime warranty ??

benkhana
    Participant

United Kingdom

trexblue
    Participant

USA

you can delete it. there is a plug for the sensor on the flap that people sell so you don’t get a code thrown and can still switch drive modes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 123 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Exhaust flap modifation. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!