Exterior tenacious stain removal

Home Forums Styling Bodywork & Detailing Exterior tenacious stain removal

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

Dear RS fellows

My RS Nitrous Blue has some tenacious gluey remains from a removed sticker. How do I best go about removing the filthy stain without ruining the paint?

Cheers, Frenk

Revo Stage 1 – JCR super low seating frame – Mishimoto gas pedal spacer – DSC sport controller

turbo-tone
    Participant

UK - England

Frenk, a picture may help. Depends on the severity of the problem. A tar and glue remover may do the job or potentially a fallout remover. Failing that it may need buffing or worse spraying

Collins Cp2 map. Ramair induction. Mountune mud flaps. Scorpion Sports Cat. Scorpion Tracker. Wind deflectors. NB washer jets and shark fin aerial. EBC Grooved discs, YellowStuff pads. Airtec Intercooler, Miltek cat back with titanium tips. Collins quickshift. DSC Controller

frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

@turbo-tone

Here is a picture. It’s easily recognizable as a former gel sticker from FC Basel. I tried to rub it away with thumb and fingernail, to no avail as you can see.

Revo Stage 1 – JCR super low seating frame – Mishimoto gas pedal spacer – DSC sport controller

turbo-tone
    Participant

UK - England

Why in all that is holy would you stick that on your car!

I would start with something like this and go from there:

https://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/gtechniq-w7-tar-and-glue-remove.html

Collins Cp2 map. Ramair induction. Mountune mud flaps. Scorpion Sports Cat. Scorpion Tracker. Wind deflectors. NB washer jets and shark fin aerial. EBC Grooved discs, YellowStuff pads. Airtec Intercooler, Miltek cat back with titanium tips. Collins quickshift. DSC Controller

v8marshal
    Participant

UK - England

Panel wipe might do the trick.

frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

@turbo-tone

Thanks a bunch! I’ll get to my DIY shop on the way home to buy a can.

Well, Basel is a crazy football capital in Switzerland. Since I am a member of this club the sticker is mandatory, innit. And then I’ve got the FCB wallpaper set on Sync 2 as well ๐Ÿ˜‰

Cheers ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Tall Paul
    Participant

UK - England

Petrol dissolves glue, most glue remover contains petroleum distillates paintwork wonโ€™t be affected ๐Ÿ‘

stripe
    Participant

UK - England

A good glue and tar remover will shift that no problem.

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

Yes petrol, but panel wipe if you have some.

Coastliner

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

try a caramel wheel in a drill, then light polish off any final remnants, i just had to remove 5 foot of double sided glue left on a doorย  from a body moulding, was coming off atย  about 3mm per minute using fingers and thumb trying to pick at it , would have taken me hours, stuck a caramel wheel in a drill and job done in 10 mins. Youtube video will help with technique

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

@bda

A caramel wheel? I still have some Thorntons’ fabulous fudge in a tin. Might try that one? ๐Ÿ˜€

No, just kidding. I’ll have a watch on Youtube and report back soon. Cheers.

DaveRS3
    Participant

United Kingdom

Tar and Glue remover and there are many. The most popular is probably Autosmart Tardis.

Its counter intuitive to chuck what seems like paint thinners on your motor but don’t worry, its perfectly safe to put plenty on and leave to dwell for a few minutes. JUST DO NOT USE IN THE SUN.

As Coast suggested, i’d probably panel wipe after to remove any residues unless you need to maintain a coating.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

Frenk, save the fudge for another time ! just dont pack the fudge or folk may get worried !

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

red-leader
    Participant

UK - England

@Frank a spot of butter sometimes works, just apply lightly over the area and leave it for a few minutes and then polish it off with a soft cloth. Cheers Red

stuartditchburn
    Participant

UK - Scotland

WD40 shifts everything !!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Exterior tenacious stain removal. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!