Faded Window Rubbers

Home Forums Styling Bodywork & Detailing Faded Window Rubbers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Kenny
    Keymaster

UK - Scotland

Anyone found a decent long term solution on these grey faded rubbers? Any product just fades after a few days

Faded window rubbers

elliot
    Participant

UK - England

Not yet Kenny, just one of the items on my ‘snag list’ when 1st service time arrives. 3.6 k atm

FPM 375. MSD 350/380/400

DSC

Tractive Suspension 

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

I use Autoglym rubber cleaner and so far nearly a year on and they are still ok

Honorary Member

rampant
    Participant

UK - England

I’ve only had the car for 4 weeks now and just over 900 miles.  These window rubbers are one of the worst bits on the car for looking untidy, with water marks and grey surface looks-like-oxidation.

I’m looking for the best way to deal with this and have a few thoughts.

First, I’ve heard that peanut butter works really well on automotive rubber seals. Sounds odd, doesn’t it? It’s actually the oil in the substance that gets absorbed or bonds to the rubber.  Still – not sure I want to try this myself, yet.

Next thought is GTechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer.  I have some of this and it is supernaturally unbelievable stuff on plastic trim – has to be seen to be believed – but again, I’m not sure this will work on the rubberised trims because it’s designed for plastic?

My search has also led me to Zymol Seal soft seal conditioner, but it is quite expensive stuff at £30 per bottle.

Basically, I can’t decide which way to go, because I think that using any of these, if it turned out to be not the best, then it would prevent getting the best out of the others if they were used afterwards.

I’m leaning towards the Zymol Seal.  Swissvax also have a similar product, but it looks even more expensive.

Cheerz

Mark H

// ’17 Nitrous Blue // Forged Alloys // Michelin Super Sports // Painted Calipers // Sync 3 // Lux Pack // Winter Pack // Black Gel Spoiler Badges // Blue Gel Wheel Inserts // GTechniq Liquid Crystal // GTechniq Alloy Armour // sold Jun ’18

rampant
    Participant

UK - England

PS – I don’t want to use any of the temporary coatings like the Autoglym, because they wear off quite quickly but also quite unevenly, meaning the coating only looks good for a very short time, after which the trim looks worse that it did before treatment.

// ’17 Nitrous Blue // Forged Alloys // Michelin Super Sports // Painted Calipers // Sync 3 // Lux Pack // Winter Pack // Black Gel Spoiler Badges // Blue Gel Wheel Inserts // GTechniq Liquid Crystal // GTechniq Alloy Armour // sold Jun ’18

Kenny
    Keymaster

UK - Scotland

Mark, someone mentioned the C4 Trim Restorer to me and said it has worked great for them so that might be my first port of call.

As for peanut butter I am not wasting that on the car I enjoy eating it too much ha!

rampant
    Participant

UK - England

Peanut butter

Dip your finger in the jar

Rub on trim

Then indulge…

rampant
    Participant

UK - England

Let us know how you get on with the C4, though.

I have a bottle with a little left in – was going to use it on the other car…

CaRSrus
    Participant

UK - Scotland

As mad as it sounds, any ‘nut-oil’ will remove marks, polish, etc, from rubber and plastics….a lot of detailers have some to hand! Not sure about the durability though. Clearkote Vanilla Moose Hand Glaze may be worth a try……check out cleanyourcar.co.uk

A smear of silicone grease may also be an option.

Joewatson2200
    Participant

United Kingdom

Products like autoglym etc are just covers. So if you are going to use them, make sure you use alcohol wipes to clean area first. I use swissvax seal feed and it works fine, it is expensive though 🙂

Neil
    Participant

UK - England

I find poor boys  polishing and detailing products good  I used there trim restorer on window rubbers etc brought them up like new

Vernon Liebenthal
    Participant

USA

Always remember before using any applicants on those rubbers to wipe down with alcohol right before applying. I have found it to help last longer.

2017 Stealth Grey RS

rs-jon
    Participant

UK - England

blechdosenbill
    Participant

Germany

Yesterday i´ve tried some Gtechniq C4 on those nasty rubber trims.

Gave them a good clean during washing with some APC and before application a good wipe with some alcohol and a short pile Mf.

Just spread it evenly and let it cure for 2-3 minutes (around 25°C) then remove any excess product with a soft plush MF.

Fingers crossed that it will last !

And because the was already at the lift, i did the rest of the exterior trim too.

before

after 😀

The foglight surrounds love it too.

Just like the rear diffusor.

I know this stuff is bit pricey but on my older cars it alsways performed great over years. And i hate dressing the plastics after every wash.

Gtechniq C5 also waits for the wheels, the brakes and the Tailpipes 🙂

I´ll keep you updated

CaRSrus
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Great write-up….thanks. Think I’ll try some of that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Faded Window Rubbers. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!