Fitting shell seats

Home Forums Performance General Fitting shell seats

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

one  way is to just get a pair of grotty std seats out of an RS with airbags , maybe out of a scrap car that has not blown the airbags, strip the airbags out of the seats and then just plug them in and stash them under the newly fitted shell seats ! pop pop. maybe they could be deactivated so they do not go off, but also do not throw up a warning as being inoperative??

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

@bda can’t decide if that is one of your wind up joke posts or your serious…. either way, ignore that idea everyone, airbags can be dangerous things if mis handled. They also have to stored and disposed of correctly and are governed by various laws.

Magnetic Grey with all the best bits

FPM375/COBB/MSD-  Quaife LSD,  DSC+Tractive  Suspension,  HJS200 cell sports cat and MT Cooler. Sync3 upgrade.

Was UK seller for DSC & Tractive  Active suspension !!!

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

I’m thinking it would have been simpler to get the car with the shell seat spec on purchase.

Coastliner

nicklulu
    Participant

USA

@71-bda, oh….. That’s the only rear seat i Know of. I thought that was standard in the UK.

Yep, focus rs . org has the thread step by step w/ the resistors to trick the air bag light.

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

Or do as @71-bda but with live bag’s could even install a button…?

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

@ GM!! ha ha  nice,  I hope that man is governed by various laws though !!  I personally would rather have one go off under my seat than 12 inches in front of my face and get two ruptured eardrums, my tinnitus is bad enough as it is !! Disarm the airbag, plug it in to connector, sit in your shell seats no warning lights or faffing around. Innit? 😎

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

oasked
    Participant

UK - England

Sorry to bump an old thread – but presumably the seats can just be swapped over and the car re-programmed using UCDS instead of plugging in any resistors?

Anyone know?

oasked
    Participant

UK - England

To answer my own question – the answer is yes (going from the standard Euro seats to the optional Euro shell / bucket seats without airbags).

UCDS (link here)

Direct configuration -> RCM (Restraint Control Module) -> Thorax airbag driver (& passenger) set from Yes to No.

After a few ignition cycles the airbag light went away.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by oasked.

neilrs3
    Participant

UK - England

@oasked

So what do you think are the long term keepers?  Shells or the Standard Type

Regards

oasked
    Participant

UK - England

Standard / shell RS seatsI don’t know yet – both have pros and cons.

The standard seats are easier to get in and out of and have height adjustment. They also hold my back better, although not my legs.

The optional shell seats look fantastic and as they’re not very thick free up space in the car, plus they also give better visibility (again as there is less seat to look around). They don’t hold me quite as tightly – although would suit fatter or larger people. The alcantara does improve the ‘specialness’ of the interior. They are also mounted too high (as per all of the reviews), although that can be sorted with the JCR seat lowering frames. In the meantime, I have just changed the angle of the seat rest and I’ll see how it goes!

Both seem fairly comfortable.

The image shows both seats side to side during installation – all of the standard seats have been removed for now. I’m keeping them and will decide a few months down the line!

neilrs3
    Participant

UK - England

Great picture really captures the difference and an informative write up.

I have the shells but changed out the driver side to the jcr lowering set up which really helps if you are taller.

Hopefully you will adjust and keep the shells 👍

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Fitting shell seats. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!