Forged wheels – my opinion has changed but…

Home Forums Styling Wheels Forged wheels – my opinion has changed but…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

rs-jon
    Participant

UK - England

So today was the day when I finally managed to remove my Forged rims and replace them with the Magnetite multispokes.

The plan was and still is to get the Forged refurbed in a more durable finish and use the multispokes as winter wheels.

So upon fitting the standards I was left with the forged to clean up ready to go into the wheel refurb place.

On cleaning and examining the wheels I found my opinion on them changing with regards to the “quality” of the paint and finish on them and came to the conclusion that as thorough as I am with my cleaning, the only way to get these really clean is wheels off.  Although I have a myriad of fine surface scratches on the spokes and faces (despite ceramic coating the faces) I was quite shocked to find that behind the spokes the rest of the wheel was almost mint – and that running them daily for two years, no hard washing was needed and they wiped off to a near perfect finish which justified my cleaning process I’d used over that time.  Its just a shame that the face of the wheel had not held up as well but overall I was happy with the condition.  They will certainly benefit from a more durable powder coated finish and then several layers of Ceramic coating and wheel wax but I’m hoping with them coming off when late Autumn arrives until the following spring then they will hold up better than the OEM finish.  But I do have to say they have held up better than I first thought.

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks for the report rs-Jon, interesting to hear what you found out behind the spokes ?

Honorary Member

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

I luv’em. I’ve seen some that have been re done in gloss black and to me it makes them look cheap, I really think the semi satin gloss std finish is the only way they should be if you are staying black.

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

rs-jon

It would be interesting to hear your opinion of the multispoke silver standard wheels. I two have both standard wheels with winter tyres. Last Monday I re-installed the forged wheels with summer tyres. Car is a late 2016 car so about 2.5 years old, very little use in winter although used all year round but much less in winter. My car is not a daily driver so long holiday runs or days to car meets and the coast. The standard wheels are stamped made in Germany and the forged ones made in China. In my opinion the finish is far superior on the standard silver wheels. A couple of my forged ones have like a starfish blister behind the face on the inner side, but are quite good on the outside face. The surface of the forged wheels seems to marks easily and needs far more attention to keep them tip top.

Coastliner

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Forged wheels – my opinion has changed but…. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!