Front Wheel Bearing

Home Forums Performance General Front Wheel Bearing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

chris-rs380
    Participant

UK - England

I’ve been trying to locate a clicking and ticking noise for a while now, which sounds just like a couple of stones or nails stuck in the tyre as the wheel rotates. After loads of head scratching it’s been traced to the passenger side wheel bearing breaking up internally. No play at all, just the annoying ticking/clicking sound on most revolutions! I’ve never heard of a mk3 requiring a wheel bearing before so thought I’d put it on here as a heads up if any members ever get the annoying noise and can’t find where it’s coming from.

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

Chris, my first thought are what mileage has the car covered, because say 50000 you could probably accept this as wear and tear. But I suspect its much lower than that.

Coastliner

dogbone
    Participant

UK - England

Hi Chris, did you also have increased road noise in the cabin too, by any chance ?

Magnetic   FPM375   DSC Controller  Tractive suspension  EBC discs with Yellow Stuff

chris-rs380
    Participant

UK - England

@coastliner Car has 23500 miles and is an April 2016 car. Lowered and spaced so I guess a bit more pressure on the bearings.

@dogbone
    Absolutely no noise in the car. Only time it was heard from in the car was with the windows down.

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

This is a bearing issue

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

@white-rs2 thats a tyre pressure low light isn’t it ???? 🤣

red-leader
    Participant

UK - England

@GM brilliant 👍👍

yorkirs
    Participant

UK - England

@white-RS2

early development wheels / bearings for the tango heritage team.

May the Ford be with you

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

You need iron fallout remover for that!!!!!

Coastliner

turbo-tone
    Participant

UK - England

Similar to my anus after a dodgy curry a few weeks back

Collins Cp2 map. Ramair induction. Mountune mud flaps. Scorpion Sports Cat. Scorpion Tracker. Wind deflectors. NB washer jets and shark fin aerial. EBC Grooved discs, YellowStuff pads. Airtec Intercooler, Miltek cat back with titanium tips. Collins quickshift. DSC Controller

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@chris-rs380

Evening/Morning mate..!! 👋👋..!!

I’m intrigued as to how you came about your diagnosis of the wheel bearing..?? 🧐🧐.

I’m not saying it’s “NOT” a wheel bearing… BUT….. I’ve never known a wheel bearing to give a “CLICKING” noise mate????

Now, this is only my personal experience.. but…… 20 years as a car Mechanic…. and having diagnosed and replaced 100’s of Wheel Bearings….. none of which were clicking, by the way..??..!!

A wheel bearing, WHEN WORN/F**KED sounds horrendous mate!! It’s loud and drones inside the Motor!! It’s easily diagnosed by feeling roughness when checked… e.g. If it’s a front one…. spin the wheel by hand and hold on to the spring… If you feel any roughness then the bearing is F**KED mate!!

Although I’ve not heard this noise, it’s more than likely a driveshaft issue (if it’s clicking) or possibly inside your G/box..!! Not sure if your work is under warranty/etc etc….

Let me know the outcome please pal??!!

Cheers, Marc.

MY/17, F/White, Forged Black Wheels, Recaro Shell Seats, Diamas SiRamik Glasscoat, H&R Anti-Roll Bars/15mm Spacers, EBC Turbo Brake Discs all round/Yellowstuff Brake Pads, Mountune Air Intake/Recirc Valve/SSC/Blue Turbo Hose Kit and Hard Pipe/Uprated Springs/Short Shifter/Rear Motor Mount/Crank Breather Plate, ETS Intercooler, Milltek 100 Cell Cat, Remus Wolf Inside Exhaust, Litchfield Stage 2 map via Cobb Accessport V3, DSC unit.

stu-c
    Participant

UK - England

I’m with Brembo on this. If a bearing is clicking with internal debris then it is gonna explode very quickly. Those bearings are sealed for life so there should be nothing in there other than grease. Could be a host of things but I’d takes look at drive components first. You never know, it might be just something stupid.

NB FPM375

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

My experience of a ticking/clicking noise at the front wheel area, is a small stone lodged for example around the calliper, drive shaft noise is usually on full lock when loaded. But yes Brembo is quite right the howl of a wheel bearing is quite distinctive and a wheel bearing issue is unmistakable.

Coastliner

chris-rs380
    Participant

UK - England

@brembo You’re absolutely right to question it as it wasn’t not your typical f****d bearing noise.

Bare with me.. So made sure the noise was definately the NSF by getting the wife to drive the car with me hanging out of the window listening. So  initially, I had the wheel off on my driveway (twice) and cleared a few stones of which I thought I’d solved the clicking (nope). Couldn’t take calliper off as the 18mm bolts were too tight. Went to my trusted garage who removed the calliper and pads and cleaned everything up. While blowing it with compressed air a wee stone fell out so we were thinking we’d solved it! Road test and noise still there..  Got the car on the lift and raised the front wheels and disabled RDU on the accessport so we could put the car in gear and let wheels drive. (No play at all in the wheel and couldn’t replicate the noise by spinning wheel by hand. Noise only appeared above 10mph-ish too). Car in gear and rotating fronts the clicking appeared. At this point we’re all thinking drive shaft or gearbox. Wheel off, calliper and disk off, s**t guard off, ABS sensor removed, click still there. Definately coming from the hub. Hub removed and when spun by hand a the noise was there!

Wheel bearing replaced and all is well! Showed me the old bearing which had small bits of black plastic that had broken away and been floating about. Plastic cage to hold the ball bearings in place I think.

Long post but hope that explains things as it was quite a unique situation. Wish I’d have taken video’s and photo’s but didn’t think at the time.

Regards, Chris.

dogbone
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks for the update @CHRIS-RS400.  I’ve a noise from the front wheel area, had the wheel bearings checked for play but none is there.

@brembo
    , great tip with the hold the front spring and spin the wheel and feel for any roughness.  Going to check this.

Is it possible to have a front wheel bearing on the way out but not give any play ?  I’ve increased cabin noise, noticeable from 20MPH and above. Its a drone type noise that changes in volume depending on the road surface.  Smooth tramac the noise is there but quiet, rough road surface (tar and chippings type) and its quite noticeable.

From experience, I can’t help but think its wheel bearing related ?

Magnetic   FPM375   DSC Controller  Tractive suspension  EBC discs with Yellow Stuff

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Front Wheel Bearing. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!