Fuel Quality

Home Forums Performance Fuel Fuel Quality

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@18stealth and @71-bda

The RS has 2 x Knock Sensors and can listen to each Cylinder individually!!

Cheers, Marc.

MY/17, F/White, Forged Black Wheels, Recaro Shell Seats, Diamas SiRamik Glasscoat, H&R Anti-Roll Bars/15mm Spacers, EBC Turbo Brake Discs all round/Yellowstuff Brake Pads, Mountune Air Intake/Recirc Valve/SSC/Blue Turbo Hose Kit and Hard Pipe/Uprated Springs/Short Shifter/Rear Motor Mount/Crank Breather Plate, ETS Intercooler, Milltek 100 Cell Cat, Remus Wolf Inside Exhaust, Litchfield Stage 2 map via Cobb Accessport V3, DSC unit.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

Good to know then Marc, I saw one but didna bother to look for another! I wonder just how tightly controlled it is? if the knock sensors are so fast and can retard ignition before knock takes place ( as they detect a signal/sound that takes place JUST before actual pinking occurs) why do Dreamscience insist so much that 99Ron must be used? Surely in theory you could run 95 Ron with a wild map and if /when it wanted to pink, the knock sensor would simply retard the timing a bit so there should not be any risk of damage! I guess they just want so much ignition advance with these remaps just to get the torque increase if you ran less octane you wouldna get the extra they promise! All seems in the danger zone for piston life to me.

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

18stealth
    Participant

UK - England

71-bda

Agree.  I have an old 92 Rs2000, because the CR is so high, and they suffer with cracks between the valve, used to run these on a higher Octane rating, but have no knock sensing.  In standard form the Focus should be able to contribute to this, but wouldn’t like to try this if the map includes an insufficient disregard to the pre-ign’.

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@18stealth

Morning mate!! I think you’ll find this interesting!!

http://www.motorsport-developments.co.uk/Understanding_Ford_Ecoboost_Knock_Detection.html

Cheers, Marc.

MY/17, F/White, Forged Black Wheels, Recaro Shell Seats, Diamas SiRamik Glasscoat, H&R Anti-Roll Bars/15mm Spacers, EBC Turbo Brake Discs all round/Yellowstuff Brake Pads, Mountune Air Intake/Recirc Valve/SSC/Blue Turbo Hose Kit and Hard Pipe/Uprated Springs/Short Shifter/Rear Motor Mount/Crank Breather Plate, ETS Intercooler, Milltek 100 Cell Cat, Remus Wolf Inside Exhaust, Litchfield Stage 2 map via Cobb Accessport V3, DSC unit.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

funny no one really talks about adding octane booster innit Marc ! in theory , especially with a tune on your car you could get one or more degrees of advance ( or right up to the very limit of max advance that the tune allows) and always be on optimum power, I wonder how it would go on 101 or 102 octane achieved by adding a booster ! now whos going to try some octane booster,? maybe a dyno run before, then add the booster, drive a few miles to get it in the system , then retest on the dyno.

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

kr1s
    Participant

UK - England

Marc that was a really good read thanks for sending link it was well written

and made me realise that I want my tune and extra power to be all at high revs.

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@kr1s

Evening mate!! Yeah it is well written and that lad is very knowledgeable on the subject. It’s also written in a way that most people, whether Mechanically minded or not, can understand. It’s also completely relevant as he uses the Mk3 RS as his example, which is good!! He’s written 2 other pieces which I’m sure you’ll enjoy, one on Boost Control and one on Torque, again using the Mk3 RS as an example, let’s you see just how clever our ECU’s are in the RS, here’s the links, have a read. The Boost one is particularly interesting, very clever indeed!!

http://www.motorsport-developments.co.uk/Understanding_Ford_Ecoboost_Boost_Control.html

http://www.motorsport-developments.co.uk/Understanding_Ford_Ecoboost_Torque_Control.html

Enjoy!! ??.

Cheers, Marc.

yorkirs
    Participant

UK - England

The whole series of articles are well written and very informative.

Learnt a lot about the RS  ecoboost engine management control system / parameters from these articles, certainly moved on from simple boost control with good quality fuel a few year back

Also massive credit to motorsport development for taking the time to produce these articles.

Finally Marc/brembo thanks for the links to these.

May the Ford be with you

nilagin
    Participant

UK - England

Even though knock sensors are continuously providing feedback to the pcm and the spark is continuously adjusting to suit, direct injection engines suffer from  megaknock. These are totally random spikes of knock which occur on or very close to wide open throttle. They are more likely to occur and more frequent on lower octane fuels. The megaknock, although it is just a single spike can double the normal combustion stroke cylinder pressure. If a direct injection engine has been mapped to run on more advanced spark and especially as the boost has likely to have been increased the engine will be more susceptible to megaknock and the highest octane fuel should be used to reduce the frequency and chances of megaknock occurring.

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Morning All!!

Is anyone using Octane Booster and running a remap??

Cheers, Marc.

18stealth
    Participant

UK - England

Marc / Brembo.

Will have a read, many thanks for the posts.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Fuel Quality. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!