Gearbox oil leak

Home Forums Performance Transmission Gearbox oil leak

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

k1rky
    Participant

UK - England

Had RS in for its 4th service today ( 1st service under my ownership) at ford dealers and they have discovered a slight misting of oil on underside of gearbox there saying its pos selector housing seals that has distorted over time ?  only got 12k on clock has anybody come across this issues if so how did you resolve it ? Ford want £629 to repair it

elliot
    Participant

UK - England

Sounds odd to me. I would suggest getting a 2nd opinion on the ‘slight misting’, especially at the price you’ve been quoted.

FPM 375. MSD 350/380/400

DSC

Tractive Suspension 

k1rky
    Participant

UK - England

So i Removed airbox this morning to gain access to inspect selector hosing area to find puddles of oil 😱🤯 cleaned it all up will see how much it fills up over next couple of days.

After doing some reasech online & asking on rs mk3 owners club Facebook page it seams to be a very common fault lots are trying to seal them with sealant etc but seems to keep recuring looks like the only way forward is to make a gasket to go inbetween which ford didn’t think was a good idea for some reason 🤔

elliot
    Participant

UK - England

I’ll be having a look later on this morning regarding this potential issue. I’m on 32k plus so would  have thought by now if it was  common I ought to be seeing some oil. Will report back.

FPM 375. MSD 350/380/400

DSC

Tractive Suspension 

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

Mine has exactly the same but its not oil its water, my mates is the same… water gets down there from behind the battery tray area, which also corrodes the battery tray. The rust is from that area.

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

Clean mine out regular, must of cleaned it out 4 times in 1500 mile over almost a year…

k1rky
    Participant

UK - England

Phoned ford today to asked technician for full break down of what work they would be doing bsaicly they said they will replace selector hosing and reseal but they told me original hosing can’t be reseal 🤔 soo hows that different from realising original unit.

I asked for part number & prices just to see if can source them separately on my own

Selector housing £297.00 +vat

Silcon sealant £16.90 +vat

I’ll get some sealant ordered and clean up orginal unit & reseal myself.

Nateodog
    Participant

UK - England

Yes re seal the original

easy ish job use the red sealant  can’t remember the name now

SABRE

666.6 bhp 99 oct & wmi

558 lbft

OEMeth installs

Aquamist

sabre tuning

Spec-R

J9-performance

funk motorsport

Hel

Owen developments

WP Pro brakes

HELIX Automotive

KW suspensions

Barney Build

Grant Motorsport

elliot
    Participant

UK - England

Checked mine yesterday and all is good at 32k+. Will be keeping an eye on it though.

FPM 375. MSD 350/380/400

DSC

Tractive Suspension 

ronald Gill
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Just been told selector housing leaking oil and not covered by warranty , any body had this sorted under warranty

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Gearbox oil leak. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!