Gearbox will be out for syncro concern

Home Forums Performance Transmission Gearbox will be out for syncro concern

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

craig0625
    Participant

UK - England

Hello all my Rs has been a little hard to get into 1st and 2nd gear so took it to ford before warranty runs out and they are saying it’s the syncro which is covered under warranty but they are saying clutch might need to be replaced as well (not under warranty as clutch only has a 1 years warranty) my car has only done 14000 miles what’s your opinion on this many thanks all.

kr1s
    Participant

UK - England

Ask for all the measurements

depends how you’ve driven it

if its over half worn then have a new one

nearly free from labour charges

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

have you owned the car from new?

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

I have heard of this issue in the past, but Ford gearboxes are some of the better ones for smoothness and reliability, a guy in the states vlogs under the tag thatsnobody has had this issue, in his case its clear gearbox abuse. So if you are not the first owner this could be where your issue manifests itself from.

Coastliner

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

From day one I’ve always nursed the gearbox while its cold and not rushed gearchanges. Craig, have you got a quickshift on it as well?

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

craig0625
    Participant

UK - England

Hello thanks for your replys iv owned the car from 7000 no mods apart from airfilter does £1150 sound about right for the clutch considering the car has the box out already?

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

jesus that sounds expensive !! I would ring up another Ford dealer, parts dept and give them your reg number and ask for price of the clutch. Maybe your one is quoting for a flywheel too which I would think is overkill !!

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit?

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

hmm….  https://www.part-box.com/genuine-ford-focus-rs-mk3-clutch-kit-2064873

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit?

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

on the same page the flywheel is listed for £470, so I think they are quoting for the whole shooting match as a belt and braces cover themselves approach. Flywheel should be like new at your mileage unless you have launched it loads and drive it badly slipping the clutch.

No nothing.

No tackiness.

Innit?

craig0625
    Participant

UK - England

I should get an update tomorrow hopefully the parts are in and they can start stripping it he did say wont know until the gearbox is out so maybe his just telling me worst case scenario ill update when I find out

muzzie
    Participant

UK - England

<p>I had my clutch replaced in November at the Ford dealership and I paid £758.83 (parts and labour)</p>

craig0625
    Participant

UK - England

Thank you for that information

craig0625
    Participant

UK - England

Got the Rs back today I got the clutch presure plate changed (£200) they said it was 60% worn. It’s still hard to get in to 1st and 2nd so I’m going to drive it for a week see if it changes Does all your gears go in with the same resistance

elliot
    Participant

UK - England

Hi, so did they have the box apart regarding the syncro issue? From what you say, nothing has changed? Mine has just clocked 26k with no issues with a 50% short shifter fitted.

FPM 375. MSD 350/380/400

DSC

Tractive Suspension 

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

@craig0625 mine has been stiff to get in 1st when cold from new, when warmed up all good… My wife’s Kuga is worse when cold, 1st / 2nd.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Gearbox will be out for syncro concern. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!