Going down the Forging Rabbit hole.

Home Forums Performance Engine Going down the Forging Rabbit hole.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

@rainydays  care to expand on that?    It really shouldn’t be that difficult do a piston and rod swap.

Magnetic Grey with all the best bits

FPM375/COBB/MSD-  Quaife LSD,  DSC+Tractive  Suspension,  HJS200 cell sports cat and MT Cooler. Sync3 upgrade.

Was UK seller for DSC & Tractive  Active suspension !!!

crocket81
    Participant

UK - England

Interesting read this as I’m planning on doing it too, fortunately I will be doing the build myself which will obviously save money that way, there are so many option out there but will prob go down the mahle pistons and bw rod route, king bearings, standard gasket and uprated head studs, possibly a Norris designs deck brace. I currently run MSD 420 and to be honest that is enough for my liking

KevPas
    Participant

UK - England

@9designs

have you progressed any further on this ? ie parts and where you’ll take it , I’m thinking of doing the same piston and rod change , looking at mountune to do  the work as they are local to me .

Kev.

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

I have picked up a Norris deck brace off these pages now, not much more progress,  was thinking there may have been a few “show” deals about, but missed them if there was.

The mystery I’m wanting to solve next is once forged I believe it’s recommend to use a different grade of oil.  What I’ve not seen is why.  Would like to understand this before choosing bearings and rods.

FPM375/COBB/MSD-  Quaife LSD,  DSC+Tractive  Suspension,  HJS200 cell sports cat and MT Cooler. Sync3 upgrade.

Matt. B
    Participant

UK - England

My oil changed to 10w 60 after forging. Why, I have no idea

440bhp

443lbft

pezzar666
    Participant

UK - England

Will be Wossner pistons and probably PEC rods.

I went with mahle pistons and Bridegway steel rods, rod choice is important

Balance shaft delete:

Why?  I’m reluctant, Ford put it in for a reason, at my tune/rpm level does it matter, any negatives if removed, can you feel extra vibrations etc?

It does indeed reduce engine vibrations but necessary to delete it for high rpm forged engines.

I’ll stick with the OEM Head Gasket.

Use the latest spec OEM gasket it is the best available

Head bolts, again OEM would be okay I think, do the 3rd Party ones get torqued to a higher level?  The OEM ones are doing okay on my engine now. Any evidence OEM have a problem?

ARP bolts are a worthwhile upgrade and protect your investment a little more especially when cranking the boost up

Bearings, I believe OEM can be used with the rods etc.   As mine are already “matched and bedded in”  I would look to refit them, obviously in the same location. Unless there are signs of wear or damage, then would fit new.

Do not re use the old bearings get a new set, I went for daido mains one of the best bearings available

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

I rang Mountune as I used their Rods and Pistons.

Over the phone they told me to use Castrol Supercar Oil 10w60 something to do with the rod and pistons materials and tolerances being much better than the OEM pistons.

As above would use new bearings Tri-metal or King as cheaper than a deck brace 👍

To be honest everything The above “Pezza” has written is pretty spot on.

Another reason for a balance shaft delete is, it does less damage you doing it than the engine trying to do it for you lol

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

KevPas
    Participant

UK - England

Great thread, with some excellent info 👌

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

For my understanding oil is matched to bearing clearance, not piston.  To thick at low temp will risk damage on start up.  Going from O to 5w would seem okay.  If it’s much higher power race engine then may be high load /temp capacity of 60 is good.   For me I think a 5w-40 or 5w-50 will be fine, I’d rather go for a better ASPI rating to better reduce LSPI.

I would like to know if the aftermarket bearings run the same clearance to the crank.

Balance shaft as I understand does require special sump baffles to prevent oil starvation, another  area we have to trust 3rd party development.. which you may detect I’m sometimes cynical of.  I don’t plan on upping the rpm limit. So I plan on keeping mine in.

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

The balance shaft assembly may have its own ideas about staying or leaving lol.

Mountune said 10w60 oils fine with the bearings it’s for cold start and for more extreme driving, the two temperature extremes, as for normal driving perfectly good.

You maybe overthinking it a tad really.

If your worried about specific tolerances you should invest in a Blueprint forged motor.

Then everything will be nearly the perfect Ford spec & tolerances.

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by white-rs2.

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

A Blueprinted engine would be lovely 🙂     I fear a tad expensive.

I maybe over thinking it, but 10W is worse for cold start as it’s thicker at low temp and would take longer to circulate etc.   But then I don’t believe “tuning companies”  who haven’t done 5% of the development that Ford Motor company does.    Remember the crowd that said we should all have our blocks welded up as they will crack next to the rib.

RS@WUB
    Participant

UK - England

My engine builder recommended sticking with Ford recommendation  oil when I mentioned I’ve seen other posts about different grades of oil, without looking at invoice I think it’s 5w-30 but could be wrong.

never questioned it as any issues it be them looking into it

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

That’s good to know RS@WUB.

Nateodog
    Participant

UK - England

I run 10/60 oil again as advised by mountune

Arp studs are ok for 500 -530  when you start pushing past this they are not fit for purpose then you need ca625 or if pockets allow mp35n ,you also have choices while apart

O ring the head

Porting the head (Inlet exhaust combustion chamber)

Cams ,  now is the time to at least fit harder cam springs even if you dont fit the cams as if you do wa t to up the anti you won’t need to split the motor again

If you want a balance shaft delete and baffled sump kit I keep them on the shelf and discount to members anyway they are not hugley expensive items

Note your oil will be 7.1 litres and not 5.4 with bsd kit  (i think I’m quoting with an oil cooler fitted also I could be wrong)  but it’s worth knowing you will 100% hold more oil

SABRE

666.6 bhp 99 oct & wmi

558 lbft

OEMeth installs

Aquamist

sabre tuning

Spec-R

J9-performance

funk motorsport

Hel

Owen developments

WP Pro brakes

HELIX Automotive

KW suspensions

Barney Build

Grant Motorsport

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Going down the Forging Rabbit hole.. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!