Hello from the Isle of Wight.

Home Forums General Newbie Hello from the Isle of Wight.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

stu-c
    Participant

UK - England

Welcome Shay,

A few points to consider other than the obvious…

Head gasket, make sure it’s done properly or if you pick a later model then you should be fine.

Edition v/s ‘standard’ (unless you are going for a 60k heritage)

Options, eg lux pack, seats, sunroof, etc

Extended warranty

Security, you might want to consider, disclock, 3rd party alarm, tracker etc

After market mods and affect on warranty, eg Mountune v/s Revo v/s Collins etc.

My advise is to shop around and don’t buy the first one you see (no matter how tempting it is, unless you are 100% sure) because the chances are, you’ll want it.

Plenty of help in here, just ask. I’m 12 months of ownership in and I still love it.

Stu

NB FPM375

DaveRS3
    Participant

United Kingdom

Welcome Shay,

You wont need to worry about the head gasket if buying a 2018 car. Anything after July 17 had the correct gasket fitted from the factory. Its advisable to buy a car that’s not had its head off as there have been several issues with those that had the gasket replaced probably due to bad workmanship.

The blue edition has the benefit of the front LSD fitted as std. I would say if you can afford, any of the editions are probably worth the extra in terms of long term depreciation. I’d go for a Red personally to properly distinguish it as a special.

I’ll bet that sea air plays havoc with cars down there. The RS is known to have a few corrosion weak spots, certainly the front grills and a few parts underneath as well as some cars low on paint near the back of the rear arches so some good corrosion inhibitor treatment should be on the cards but coming from Jap cars I expect you know all about that.

shayc87
    Participant

UK - England

GM, I really like the blue colour. Not a fan of black due to needing the paint corrected all the time. I do like the grey colour as well. I will buy on condition etc so its like due to car numbers that it will be a blue one.

Thats a great help Stu, thanks for the info ?

crunchie
    Participant

UK - England

Hi Shay…welcome. I live on the Isle of Wight too. Hope you are successful in obtaining one .

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

@shay, if you are still interested in an RS have a look at aeron’s Blue Edition for sale.  Hope you are still interested that is ?

Honorary Member

shayc87
    Participant

UK - England

Sound advise DaveRS3, thanks for that. The sea air isn’t too bad really, nothing that basic maintenance cant handle.

Cheers Crunchie.

I will take a look bobcat, I’m not really looking to buy until the spring though.

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

@shay ?

Honorary Member

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

Welcome shay, as in all new cars the RS attracted many owners who I describe as butterfly owners they buy the in trend model and then after 1,2,or three years move on. Some of these owners cover what you would say is quite big mileage, by this I mean 10k miles per annum which isn’t mega high but RS enthusiasts tend to use their cars as a second indulgent car, they use it but accrue much smaller mileages. If I was looking for an RS I would have the same mindset as yourself condition, mileage and spec being more important than colour. This is my opinion and some wont agree, but hey ho if it assists you in your choice then all well and good. I suspect you have a rough idea what you want. There’s an ultra low mileage blue edition advertised this weekend, that would be a good starting point for anyone wanting a good unmolested car.

Coastliner

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by coastliner. Reason: spelling

shayc87
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks for the welcome Coastline.

I can’t see me doing much more than 6k a year. The island isn’t very big and I live fairly close to work. I did have a look at that one. It’s a little over my budget. I’ll be looking at 30k when the time comes which should get me a decent low mileage example. An, edition model may be a bit of a stretch though.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Hello from the Isle of Wight.. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!