How far to mod?

Home Forums Performance General How far to mod?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Ca9Phoenix
    Participant

UK - England

I have had my RS for almost 2 years now. The first thing I did was change out the filter to an K&N (solid end) and that’s it.

It’s my daily so work and back and it barely gets warm twice a week (use the wife’s 1.2 ka with wind down windows the other 3) Then some fun drives at the weekend when allowed.

Recently confirmed I had the correct gasket (thank you little brass ring) so decided to put the DS ultima2+ map on.

What a difference it makes, it now feels like I think it should have from the factory power/torque in the midrange.

So the first question is should I go further with mods and if so how far. (What actually will make a noticeable difference?)

With how I use the car I feel I should perhaps change the recirc valve and put an induction kit on and leave it at that…

Already got a “big mouth” as I like the look so thinking of the DS induction but then I start looking at Intercoolers with larger pipes, and race cats,

I don’t feel like changing the exhaust as I don’t want any more noise (I have neighbours lol)

After all that rambling the next question is does the Intercooler make a big enough difference day to day to warrant the price, and same goes for the race cat? (Not happy to decat)

Thanks

NB 2017

DSRS induction

Velossatech big mouth

Forge recirculation valve

mountune sound suppression chamber

DS Ultima2+

a few stickers… TBC

turbo-tone
    Participant

UK - England

The ultimate question is how far do you want to go? I started off the same and changed the filter. Have since gone to a ramair induction, scorpion sports cat DS 2+ and have an Intercooler ready to go on. I can then switch to another map for a few more ponies. Not gone for a loud exhaust as like you mines a daily and don’t want to annoy the neighbours.

Do what mods work for you, within your budget and gives you what you want from the car.

Collins Cp2 map. Ramair induction. Mountune mud flaps. Scorpion Sports Cat. Scorpion Tracker. Wind deflectors. NB washer jets and shark fin aerial. EBC Grooved discs, YellowStuff pads. Airtec Intercooler, Miltek cat back with titanium tips. Collins quickshift. DSC Controller

RS@WUB
    Participant

UK - England

It’s a slippery slope, once you start you don’t stop 🙂 I’m in a similar situation except for having fpm375 and cat back exhaust, I like bang for buck packages personally or recreating that by buying individual parts but the real question you have to ask, if it goes bang will you cry or look at it as an opportunity to go further?

if you want bang for buck on standard car talk to sabre tuning. Having spoken to Leighton I think it was before xmas and what they pulling from standard car and safely is amazing, under 1000 pounds and be best mod you could ever buy, think you might need fmp375 spec as minimum tho but don’t know as did not ask as already have it.

ultimately it’s the route I’ll go once at stage 2  or beyond. But for now thinking of just going Revo 2 off the shelf as can be done very local to me and running that till next year once traveling across country can be made into a weekend away.

grunty-motor
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Value for money, you are at the most efficient point now

next stages include intercooler, sports cat, intake/hardpipe and a more expensive / custom tune. You are heading towards the thick end of £3k to get in the region of 420hp. If you are thinking this route, just go put the DS3 on and go for a short spin. It will give you an idea of the step up and whether you want to spend the money.

Forge to get to 450hp and another £3-5k. Then turbo to get to 500hp is really piling on the pounds

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

Just make it what you want, and what you use it for… Ive just dropped a pile of cash on the next stage for mine, i do enjoy the process and not just the end result.. I don’t worry about he future valve or anything as its purely a toy to enjoy… Only one rule tho, any cash spent on it should be limited to disposable cash… as you will not get it back…. Cant wait to joint the #500+ club

The priceless bit for me has been finding guys that have done it, learning from their mistakes and listening to their info…. 👌🏻👍

Ca9Phoenix
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks for the advice so far.

what I’ve taken away is what I was leaning towards which is replace the intake and recirculation valve and leave it at that for the engine, then probably put some EBC breaks on too.

I’ll enjoy knowing I’ve got more out of it than standard and if I want to tinker more in the future I can.

as I said most days it doesn’t get warm before I get to work so no point tuning it into a track day monster for the occasional “long way home”

thanks 🙂

NB 2017

DSRS induction

Velossatech big mouth

Forge recirculation valve

mountune sound suppression chamber

DS Ultima2+

a few stickers… TBC

white-rs2
    Participant

UK - England

To get all the Stage2 kit to do it properly and power to say 430/450bhp you’ll need an exhaust even if you don’t want to

And a wallet with around “£10k spare” to do it.

£3.5k – £5k Engine build, plus ARP’s, Deck Brace etc, etc.

£1.5k Callies crank (lightweight) and dowelled pulley.

Custom mapping and a Cobb £1k

Exhaust £1500

Sports Cat £750

CAI, Intercooler all piping cold and hot inlet manifold, inlet spacer AUX fuel, additional injectors.Methanol injection or NOS injection £6k

Then add a slightly bigger turbo for 520 – 600bhp £3.5k

PS

Bin the DS handset and get something proper 👍

RS Edition.

FPM375 Rocks

The rest of the “M” maps suck

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by white-rs2.

elliot
    Participant

UK - England

Quite a few of us on here went down the DS route. The 375 for me was a waste of money but we live and learn.

Once I get the Scorpion sports cat fitted I’ll load the DS 3 and see how how that pans out but looking to other avenues.

FPM 375. MSD 350/380/400

DSC

Tractive Suspension 

nicklulu
    Participant

USA

Modding is a sickness.

I told myself I won’t mod the RS as my last 3 cars before that.

It started with a key fob sleeve, exhaust and recirc valve that I got finance with my car.

I’m way too into it now, as one of member said run away from the mod train.

Nateodog
    Participant

UK - England

Or you could just stay completely stock get a sabre map and see 396-398 hp 420-440 lbft

that would be the best upgrade before adding any bolt on extras

useable reliable daily power thatl feel great

SABRE

666.6 bhp 99 oct & wmi

558 lbft

OEMeth installs

Aquamist

sabre tuning

Spec-R

J9-performance

funk motorsport

Hel

Owen developments

WP Pro brakes

HELIX Automotive

KW suspensions

Barney Build

Grant Motorsport

RS@WUB
    Participant

UK - England

As above, when looking before xmas at the options someone recommended Sabre and hyper-tune to me for custom maps and after speaking to them I can’t agree more that for what I was quoted you won’t get a better outcome, once my upgrades are at a certain point and outgrown OTS map it’s where I’ll be going but for anyone who don’t want to mod to far it’s probably the most economical route for best results. Just a shame sabre a proper day out for me so not likely to happen this year thus why for me it’s a longer plan and a journey of discovery

Tyrefitter
    Participant

UK - England

I bought my red edition to keep standard so it would probably be a bit of a investment in the future.🤔 Within a fortnight of owning it had a scorpion cat back,then a pair of radium catch cans,then a bit more power U2+,then a airtec stage 2 induction kit,then a airtec intercooler with bigger boost pipes & now I have a mountune inlet manifold to fit when I get time😆😆

Andy.

Red Edition.

nicklulu
    Participant

USA

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to How far to mod?. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!