Hundreds of popular cars ‘at risk of keyless theft’

Home Forums Technology Security Hundreds of popular cars ‘at risk of keyless theft’

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

skillboy
    Participant

UK - England

BBC article  Regarding Keyless entry/keyless start cars

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47023003

How many people have decided to turn off Keyless entry either by using Forscan or in later models using the IPC menu.

Recommended to use a Faraday pouch aswell to stop these relay thefts.

paulmichael
    Participant

UK - England

Mine’s a 2018 car, I turned keyless entry off last week in the menu. I had used a faraday pouch previously.

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

If you have a good faraday pouch that works, I don’t see why you would want to switch keyless off? I think its a great function.

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

v8griff
    Participant

UK - England

Defender Signal Blocker is highly recommended. £5.95 incl postage (updated version 2 – eBay).

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/103187/best-faraday-bag-car-key-signal-blockers-2018

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

I purchased mine because it had this feature plus many more endearing features.

Coastliner

Mdc
    Participant

UK - England

Faraday pouch disk lock Ghost immobiliser whenever wherever its left.Cant really see what more you can do.

Mountune 375 FMP mountune v3 M Flaps Forged wheels painted calipers Gel inserts Door protectors clim air Sony upgrade shells ? immobiliser 5yr Ford warranty BIG FAT FORGED IN THE BOOT.HG recall sorted no drama.

RS77
    Participant

UK - England

Even with keyless turned off, there’s still a risk that your signal could be captured when you click the fob to open the doors. And doesn’t the immobiliser signal still carry on transmitting in any case? Or have I missed something?

nilagin
    Participant

UK - England

I like the mention of the Corsa being safe because it doesn’t have keyless entry.

Who’d want to nick a Corsa anyway. 😉

tonys
    Participant

UK - England

Until Ford come up with a solution I’ll use a Faraday pouch. Interested in a reply though from the experts on here to the questions posted above by RS77.

Pete Watson
    Participant

UK - England

I bought the Defender Signal Blocker pouch last Sept after i read the Auto Express article on keyless entry, the Defender came out as No1 of the selection they tested, works perfect, excellent build quality, bought mine from wilcodirect.co.uk £5.00 with free postage.

Instagram = rsrededition

18stealth
    Participant

UK - England

@tonys, @RS77

Lock the car with the window open, lean in and trigger it off, with the key in your hand, press the start / stop buttton and see what happens.  Couldn’t find the option to turn off in mine, but found it in my ST.

Squirel
    Participant

UK - England

@rs77 & @tonys – no your fob signal cant be used more than once. If a thief captures it, it won’t a second time. This is slightly different to keyless entry. A ‘relay attack’ works differently to you pressing the fob button.

Yes the ‘immobiliser’ signal still transmits and is required to start the car. This uses the same principle / technology as the keyless entry

Its possible Ford can patch this, but to be honest unlikely – it may need hardware replacement to address  the issue. A faraday pouch is probably the best defence (as well as layers of defence such as ghost, disklock, cctv…).

If if anyone is interested in the general details (I don’t know the specifics of the ford implementation)  on how a relay attack works / how PKES (Passive Keyless Entry System) works I can start a thread, but its fairly technical!

18stealth
    Participant

UK - England

So Squirel has confirmed the test I had not implemented, so if a window is broken, relay  amplifier method can still simulate the key being in the car, and would fire up, and stop the alarm, etc.  On the mark 3, if the key cannot be found, i.e in a faraday cage, does the armed state disable the OBD port?

Thanks.

rog
    Participant

UK - England

@Squirel ~ a roll jam attack may store all necessary OEM key transmissions.

A 3rd party immobiliser (even with OEM key authentication) can prevent engine start/OBD access (where this type of attack) disarms OEM locks, alarm and immobiliser.

Time for a big scary dog. 😉

Squirel
    Participant

UK - England

@rog correct Rolljam can jam and store single or multiple codes. However this should be easy to spot as an owner – it only happens when you press the fob key (unlike a relay attack). Only press they fob when you can see the indicators – if you press and the indicators don’t flash it’s possible you’ve been rolljammed. As rolljam captures the rolling code it can only be used once (or the number of times you pressed the fob button and the car didn’t unlock).

The countermeasure to this is to move the vehicle to another location and press the buttons a few times – if it works each time then the code will have been moved on from the captured one and the captured one will no longer work. You are also correct that this will not allow engine start, but would allow physical access to the vehicle with the alarm disabled. It is also possible to use just a jamming attack to jam the signal and leave the vehicle open on locking – again this only gains physical access to the car. The moral is – always watch your car when you unlock and particularly lock it!

@18stealth
    There wouldn’t be much point in smashing the window and then using a relay attack – the relay attack is repeatable multiple times and can be used to both open the doors and start the car. An attacker would use the relay attack to open the car and then simulate the key being inside the car to start it. I would also strongly suspect (don’t know how Ford have implemented it though) that an alarm condition would inhibit the keyless start and OBD access.

None of this would affect Ghost and should not affect 3rd party trackers / immobilizers or alarms.

Also to note that Tesla implemented a worse solution on their Model S that allowed an attacker to duplicate the fob after being close to it:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/09/12/tesla_hack/

Time to get a big scary dog (or layer your security)!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Hundreds of popular cars ‘at risk of keyless theft’. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!