Hundreds of popular cars ‘at risk of keyless theft’

Home Forums Technology Security Hundreds of popular cars ‘at risk of keyless theft’

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

18stealth
    Participant

UK - England

@Squirel

My point was that if Keyless Entry was disabled in the menu (subject to it being enabled), and somebody broke in “via another method”, assuming the key is in the vehicle, or you could place it down on the RFID / coil energiser or whatever you want to call that behind the handbrake, the alarm would be disabled, and the vehicle would start.  Admittedly with a relay amplifier, (the ones I have seen anyway), you couldn’t place that down there, but we are looking at simulating an active key.

For clarity, becuase I know I can sound waffly and confusing, we have keyless disabled, we cannot get in the vehicle, unless it is forced.  The alarm is triggered, but if we have a key in hand (or in the case of the crims, an amplifier simulating this), even though keyless is disabled, the proximety sensors would see this in car and disable?  Also assuming you have no Ghost (or other form of immobilisation), your away too!

Correct me if I’m wrong.

Thanks

18stealth
    Participant

UK - England

…and my typos unverified are dreadful…

😀

18stealth
    Participant

UK - England

A quick FYI

Tested this, and found that it does not allow the key to work, instead an message (whilst the alarm is going off) tells you to place the key in the recovery point, which stopped it!  Thought if under a relay attack, that is simulating the key minus the buttons of coarse.  However thinking again, I think that part of the relay would not fit in the compartment, so would not be possible to get round, especially if the OBD is disabled.  Annoying the alarm doesn’t sound for very long.

Another thing to note is make sure that if you are out and about, and use the boot (trunk for the americans that browse about on here), make sure you do not leave the key in the boot, as the option in the menu (or if you have disabled via OBD methods), obviously just disables the relevant sensors, and will not ping the boot open if the vehicle is in a locked state.

Thanks

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Hundreds of popular cars ‘at risk of keyless theft’. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!