Idling

Home Forums Performance Engine Idling

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

rs_nay
    Participant

UK - England

Just wondering if this is sitting right at idle… Just seems a bit rough most of the time really and could do with another 1-200 rpm to keep it smooth!

66′ Nitrous Blue RS

yorkirs
    Participant

UK - England

Mmmmmh, the words rough idle jump out here, what’s the coolant level like, don’t want to set hares running but could be early head gasket failure ( coolant leaking into cylinder)

hope not but possible.

May the Ford be with you

rs_nay
    Participant

UK - England

Yeah ive had the pressure test which passed… Coolant level doesn’t seem to have moved either this is whats throwing me? Booked in end of April for HG replacement!

66′ Nitrous Blue RS

Naylor92
    Participant

UK - England

Pretty sure that’s normal idle revs on the picture you’ve put up.

smokingkills
    Participant

UK - England

That’s normal

red-leader
    Participant

UK - England

Mine is the same, has never stalled whilst idling.

MagneticRS
    Participant

UK - England

Mine idles at 750 rpm and is smooth unless I have to put emergency 95ron fuel in and then its lumpy.

Mine likes V Power and Tesco Momentum 99…….. silky with either of these.

RSGAZ
    Participant

UK - England

Normal

Sherbett
    Participant

UK - Wales

Mine does exactly the same as you are saying but I have had the head gasket work done. I was putting it down to the mountune kit possibly because of the k&n air filter messing with the cold starts.Also I have managed to convince myself that it’s got worse since having the head work done.

rs_nay
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks all!

@Sherbett
    ahhh interesting! And you’ve had the HG done. To me it varies and doesn’t do it all the time! Just don’t know what to think. I’m going to get Ford to see what they say when it goes in for HG!

66′ Nitrous Blue RS

Sherbett
    Participant

UK - Wales

It all settles down once everything has warmed up.Maybe it’s the weather let’s face it it’s been a cold damp and long winter hopefully that will end soon and then get a bit warmer then my engine might start to behave it’s self .

RSDave
    Participant

UK - England

Mine idles at about 900 but i think it depends on weather temperature and the fuel

guestyrs
    Participant

UK - England

Hi, my engine makes a sort of shorting noise when idling, is this normal.

its nothing to do with head gasket because mines just been in and had new head and gasket and it made this noise before and after. The revs are fine just a bit noisy.

Thanks

rsdani
    Participant

Italy

Hi rs_nay, apparently it’s normal. I had the same concern from day one and in fact, went back to my dealer. I was told that the rpm at idle is so low in order to meet some emission standards… whatever. In theory the ECU is adjusting the rpm based on the weather conditions but I never felt so. I did more than 6000 kms in both high and low temperature, with and without air-conditioning but mine always does this “rough” idling. It is very annoying but I got used to it. The funny thing is that when I engage the clutch and put it in first gear the rev goes up by 1-200 rpm and it runs super smooth. I had some petrol cars but never had the same issue, it seems to be RS specific 🙂 A custom made tune could easily fix this problem.

Graham Mitchell
    Participant

UK - Scotland

any one have any ideas had the new head gasket fitted about 5 weeks ago first 3 weeks all good on start up with new gasket now into about 5 weeks now,start the car in morning all seems fine let it go threw heat up stage, go a short journey about 15 mins drive,stop the car go into parents house come out after 2 hours and start the car when I start the car can hear what sounds like missfire under the start up when revs drop after about a minute missfire stops all collant level are good not budged monitoring it every few days all temperatures are fine.anyone with any ideas?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Idling. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!