Looking and waiting…

Home Forums General Newbie Looking and waiting…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

RSRob1969
    Participant

UK - England

Hi all, I’m not yet an RS owner, but soon to be. I’m currently on the look out for my first RS. Looking for a MK3 with plenty of trick bits on, but lowish mileage and at the right money. Private sales seem better value than the dealers. I appreciate any tips on what to look out for, and will keep you posted when my quest is complete.

Rob

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

Hi and welcome Rob.

Coastliner

stu-c
    Participant

UK - England

Hi Rob,

Good luck on your search. Take your time and get the right one.

Not sure how much you know but here’s a few ideas….

Head gasket, make sure it’s done. Security, Ghost, disclock, tracker. Options, seats, wheels etc.

3rd party mods, eg Mountune, Litchfield etc

Mileage, service history and number of owners – particularly important on an RS.

Kenny, did you make that list for potential new owners?

NB FPM375

Dazh
    Participant

UK - England

Good luck with your search Rob. Any colour in particular?

Daz

nicklulu
    Participant

USA

This became a NB sausage fest quick!

Good luck with your hunt. Keep an eye with head gasket issue, seat woble, door gaskets. the lugnut is also soft, gets deformed after several  install/uninstall.

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

@Rob, hi and welcome good luck with your search 👍

Honorary Member

NEILRS2K
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@nicklulu

What a strange thing to say 🤔

The guy is just asking a bit advice on buying an RS.

@Rob
    Barrat

Back to the original post, as mentioned the head gasket recall is important however you may struggle to get documents showing it was done. This is quite common so don’t be alarmed. You can check with ford to ensure there are no outstanding recalls active on the vehicle.

I would say condition is most important above all. Low mileage and well looked after command the highest values. What are you looking for from the car? Weekend/good weather toy or daily driver?

Be patient, the right car will come up.

It is an awesome car. Plenty of fun to be had that’s for sure. Good luck 👍

mexicoian
    Participant

UK - England

Stick to basics , low miles , svc history , drive it , look round it , ideally buy with some warranty  oh and haggle 👍🤣🙈 ideally a blue one after all is best colour 💙 👌

srea064
    Participant

UK - England

@nicklulu

Not sure what you’re getting at there myself mate, people only offering a potential new owner sound advice.

@Rob

Check out any vehicle registrations on Ford Etis, this will let you check on any outstanding FSA recalls, such as head gasket replacement.  Don’t discard any early cars because of the head gasket either, as all of them should now have been done.

If possible, look out for a car with the Mountune FPM375 kit fitted, this is warranty friendly and makes a big difference to the car, finally…good luck.

Steve – Magnetic Grey – Sold.

Hope to join Bobcat as an Honorary Member?!?

red-leader
    Participant

UK - England

Agree with what mexicoian said and take a mate who knows something about cars with you, a second set of eyes is always good.

RSRob1969
    Participant

UK - England

Plenty of good advice there thanks guys. I’m in the very fortunate position of wanting a sunny days and Sundays car. Daily driver is a Renault van. Liking the idea of a low miler, and am I right in thinking that the post April 2017 cars aren’t as susceptible to the head gasket problems?

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

steady on, I’m pretty sure Nick was only having a laugh because all the avatar things came up with NB focus’s !!

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

nicklulu
    Participant

USA

@71-bda , thank you for explaining. Yup, I was just kidding.

I hope I did not offend anyone.

To note if you have not seen my RS in the post your RS pic thread…… I also have a NB RS!

The most common issue had been stated and honestly very livable and easy to remediate.

turbo-tone
    Participant

UK - England

Welcome along Rob. Good luck with the search. You looking for any particular colour or options?

Have you driven an Rs as yet? You will not be disappointed👌👍😜

Collins Cp2 map. Ramair induction. Mountune mud flaps. Scorpion Sports Cat. Scorpion Tracker. Wind deflectors. NB washer jets and shark fin aerial. EBC Grooved discs, YellowStuff pads. Airtec Intercooler, Miltek cat back with titanium tips. Collins quickshift. DSC Controller

grunty-motor
    Participant

UK - Scotland

“am I right in thinking that the post April 2017 cars aren’t as susceptible to the head gasket problems”

no – it is july 17 – but it is when the engine was made, not when car registered. You really need to look for the build date of the engine or the head gasket “golden” rivet

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Looking and waiting…. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!