Low boost after hitting speed limiter

Home Forums Performance Forced Induction Low boost after hitting speed limiter

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author

Willierich
    Participant

UK - England

Hello, just looking for a bit of help if anyone’s had the same problem happen to them or similar please let me know what’s what.

My car seems to be low on boost with no warning lights on or anything. Had it plugged in at work and the only code that came up was an abs code but I’ve cleared that and it’s no better.
    The low boost happened when I hit the speed limiter at 155ish mph and i backed off after i hit it and cruised in 6th then went to overtake a car so dropped it into 4th and there was a lack of power it feels like. Nothing flashed up on the dash or anything.

My car has a stock map as far as I know and an induction kit and sports cat but that’s it, have ordered a boost solenoid because that seems like the quickest and cheapest thing to try first but they’re on back order so who knows when that will arrive.

thanks in advance for any advice and help!

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

only 155 ?  should have been good for another 10+mph before getting on the limiter surely. Innit?

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

@Will: Did you note the revs? The limiter comes at 6500 rpm in stock map. How was oil temperature? Up to 100 °C (indicator on the dashboard cluster at 12 o’clock) everything is fine. If oil temp gets above 130 °C power is reduced by ECU to protect the engine. When oil temp is low again power should be restored.

Revo Stage 1 – JCR super low seating frame – Mishimoto gas pedal spacer – DSC sport controller

Willierich
    Participant

UK - England

If thats the case with the speed limiter then I think car must have lost power at 155 ish because that’s all it felt like at that speed. temperature was just above 100 on the gauge just over 12 o’clock and not entirely sure about revs I’d say just over 6k. I’ve had nothing come up on the dash and I’ve driven it to work this morning but still lacks power even after it’s been left overnight and started in the morning, going to have a proper look at it when I finish work I’ll let you know if there’s a verdict. Cheers for the help so far!

turbo-tone
    Participant

UK - England

Give your hoses a good check over, possible that you could have blown one?

Collins Cp2 map. Ramair induction. Mountune mud flaps. Scorpion Sports Cat. Scorpion Tracker. Wind deflectors. NB washer jets and shark fin aerial. EBC Grooved discs, YellowStuff pads. Airtec Intercooler, Miltek cat back with titanium tips. Collins quickshift. DSC Controller

frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

I once had a lack of power in my old Mondeo. It felt like only 3 cylinders were working. Indeed, it was a broken ignition cable to one spark plug. Just thinking aloud,  Cheers 😉

Revo Stage 1 – JCR super low seating frame – Mishimoto gas pedal spacer – DSC sport controller

v8marshal
    Participant

UK - England

Hope you was a track at 155 😂

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

🚓🚔🚓🚔🚓🚔 excuse me sir 👮🏻‍♀️155 😹😹😹

Honorary Member

Willierich
    Participant

UK - England

On a private air strip I’ll add👍😂

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

👮🏻‍♀️ That’s ok sir have to check these things out 😹😹😹

Honorary Member

turbo-tone
    Participant

UK - England

Is the private airstrip also 3 lanes wide, nice smooth tarmac and frequented by other users at the same time? 😉🤔😂

Collins Cp2 map. Ramair induction. Mountune mud flaps. Scorpion Sports Cat. Scorpion Tracker. Wind deflectors. NB washer jets and shark fin aerial. EBC Grooved discs, YellowStuff pads. Airtec Intercooler, Miltek cat back with titanium tips. Collins quickshift. DSC Controller

frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

Easy chaps, he was on the German Autobahn 😀

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

Stock map would have to be some length to the air strip? 😆 6000 rpm in mine is 140 ish not flat road tho… limiter 7200 rpm. Might be something simple as said before, boost pipe off / split or so on…?

I remember seeing the Stradman video sometime ago, where his stock RS topped out at 145 mph on a dry lakebed…. and run out of lakebed, to get to 6000 rpm, not as good as a tarmac run tho i guess… 8:50 mins in on vid

Willierich
    Participant

UK - England

Update from tonight, had a look through all of the boost pipes and hoses and vacuum lines just anything and no joy so far👎🏻 Getting a smoke machine to fill the system see if it blows out anywhere tomorrow hopefully. Looked at all the wiring I could see and followed each wire and checked In each plug looking for anything dodgy but no luck, thanks for the help so far I’ll update when progress is made🚗💨

RS@WUB
    Participant

UK - England

Good job this not FB, HG or Blown Engine be the response.

so induction kit and sports cat but stock map? Assume u not had car long? Does the sports cat not bring up a code? I thought it would of unless been mapped but I’m sure someone can confirm or throw that out the window lol

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Low boost after hitting speed limiter. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!