Michelin PA4 winter tyres

Home Forums Performance Tyres Michelin PA4 winter tyres

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

andy-k
    Participant

UK - England

I have bitten the bullet and ordered a set of 19 inch PA4’s. Waited a month for my dealer to quote me for the sparkle silver 18’s with winter tyres, but seems they can’t send a quote by email. Hey ho, i’ve given the money to a tyre company that I trust. Anyone used these tyres? Same presssures or a touch softer ? Please advise

Edition, FPM 375

elliot
    Participant

UK - England

Weathers getting rather crappy up in rural North Yorkshire. So I ordered a set of PA4’s, will see how they perform.

Got a cracking deal from the boss, Ian Brown Tyres Ltd. He looks after his staff 🙂

FPM 375. MSD 350/380/400

DSC

Tractive Suspension 

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

What wheels are you fitting them to?

Coastliner

elliot
    Participant

UK - England

Forged 19 inch as fitted when new

FPM 375. MSD 350/380/400

DSC

Tractive Suspension 

tonys
    Participant

UK - England

Are winter tyres really necessary for everyone? My car is used as a second car and always garaged when not in use. It covers around 4,500 normal road miles/year and has the OEM tyres. For Ford to state in the owners manual that the OEM tryes are not recommended for use below 7 degC just seems ridiculous. I won’t be changing mine. Comments anyone.

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

Do you take it out in the ice and snow ?

Magnetic Grey with all the best bits

FPM375/COBB/MSD-  Quaife LSD,  DSC+Tractive  Suspension,  HJS200 cell sports cat and MT Cooler. Sync3 upgrade.

Was UK seller for DSC & Tractive  Active suspension !!!

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

Tonys.. ‘oop north’ in the winter its like….

so winter tyres deffo.

doon south in the winter, (middle of January)its like….

so Kumho semi slick super softs with 3mm of tread are de-rigueur!!

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

elliot
    Participant

UK - England

Mines a daily and was not too good in the snow/slush last year. So for me, yes. Another week before delivery though to get them at cost.

FPM 375. MSD 350/380/400

DSC

Tractive Suspension 

tonys
    Participant

UK - England

@9designs – Wouldn’t dream of it generally unless it was totally unavoidable of course.

@71-bda
    – Yes I suppose we are relatively lucky weather wise here in the South therefore I assume you’re not a fan either bda for using winter tyres.

777ham
    Participant

UK - England

Must admit my PA4s have  been on for weeks now and due to the mild weather i haven’t felt the full benefits yet. Car still feels good to drive and push a little as well. I think next year if finances allow, i will get the winter tyres fitted to a second set of wheels so that i can swap them at short notice.

As i use the car everyday i’m still happy to have them on as i’m sure the weather will turn colder at the end of the year and into 2019.

alloy
    Participant

UK - England

What was the outcome of the winter tires did anyone get to experience the benefit of having them on?

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

@Alloy

I have a set on a second set of wheels and tyres, they are not Pirelli they are Davanti. Although my car is not a daily I do use it through the winter. I drove on snow covered roads with the winter tyres and there is a massive difference. The car is sure footed and able to maintain safe speeds with other traffic being left in your mirror. One example I can give was a dual carriageway near Hull was snow covered, the unused offside lane was completely snow covered, traffic was travelling very slow as they do on the nearside lane. I was able to drive with complete confidence in the offside lane and was able to make good progress and with a lot of confidence. If you don’t use your car in the snow I wouldn’t bother, but if you do it transforms the cars ability.

Coastliner

alloy
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks for the feed back Coastliner. I will have a think about this.

Ukjon
    Participant

United Kingdom

Am same as Coastliner.

1. Daily temp in winter does not usually exceed 7 degrees. So at this temperature point non winter tyres are no longer performing at their best.

2. The AWD system is only as good as the rubber it rotates. Therefore in winter (snow/ice/even rain –  if you are running non winter tyres then you are not getting the full benefit of the AWD system.

3. Winter tyres below 7 degrees should stop you in a shorter distance and disperse more water.

4. By rotating your winter/summer tyres, your PS4’s last longer?

Regards

alloy
    Participant

UK - England

Good feed back UKJON.

I will get a set fitted for sure in the next couple of weeks as my current set of tires are getting low on the front / rear still good.

Next year i’ll get a spare set of wheels for the season change over.

Watched a couple of you tube videos and they do what it says on the tin – shorter breaking distance – and better control in the various conditions of the winter months regardless of 1cm of snow or 1ft of snow and ice.

Bring on the Harsh Winter we never really get…………..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Michelin PA4 winter tyres. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!