MORE RUST!!!

Home Forums Styling Bodywork & Detailing MORE RUST!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 72 total)
  • Author

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

Right I will just add my bit to this, my loom was tucked behind the small metal panel above the wing, there is a plastic clip that fits onto the hinge and plugs into a predrilled hole also on the hinge. That said mine is rustles but never the less I have pulled the loom out of the way and applied a coating of cavity wax. Done both sides and clipped the loom as was originally intended.

Coastliner

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Cheers for all the comments lads!! ??. Hopefully everybody has a look anyway and can catch this in time!! I must say I’m more than a little disappointed considering my RS was in the Ford garage last time home for its first 2 yearly bodywork inspection!! I mean that spot of rust on the boot hasn’t suddenly appeared in the last 6 weeks!! I’m also kicking myself for not paying more attention, but you just don’t expect to find this on a 2 and a half year old car!!

@paulie
    It’s hard to tell from your pic but it looks like yours is heading the same way… correct me if I’m wrong mate!!

@coastliner
    Evening mate!! I wonder if yours has been ok because the loom wasn’t clipped on properly to the hinge??

@gm
    Hello mate.. ?. I think you should start writing down all your areas of rust pal!! Just so you don’t forget about any of them, lol… ??.

Cheers, Marc.

MY/17, F/White, Forged Black Wheels, Recaro Shell Seats, Diamas SiRamik Glasscoat, H&R Anti-Roll Bars/15mm Spacers, EBC Turbo Brake Discs all round/Yellowstuff Brake Pads, Mountune Air Intake/Recirc Valve/SSC/Blue Turbo Hose Kit and Hard Pipe/Uprated Springs/Short Shifter/Rear Motor Mount/Crank Breather Plate, ETS Intercooler, Milltek 100 Cell Cat, Remus Wolf Inside Exhaust, Litchfield Stage 2 map via Cobb Accessport V3, DSC unit.

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

@Brembo

I thought the exact same thing as you. Because it wasn’t close or in contact to the paintwork. So I have a slack German car worker to thank.

Coastliner

stuartditchburn
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Cheers brembo, just about to fit bonnet struts so will have a good inspection and wax spray the area.   Crazy corrosion for a car of this age.  I almost had a heart attack when I took the left hand instrument support panel off at the bonnet hinge and found the wing stuffed with plastic coated padding.  Water could easily get into the back of the wing panel and cause unseen corrosion.  The more we look, the more trouble we will find !!!!   Just have to try and ignore what might be there and truly enjoy the car.

paulie
    Participant

UK - Wales

@Brembo looks like I’ve caught it in time, I’ll brush some cavity wax on it when the rain finally stops!

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

I think the rust spots on the boot lids are defects from painting, i noticed on mine very early on after picking it up there was like dust / something in the paint?

paulie
    Participant

UK - Wales

@GM it’s not fallout is it?

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

@Paulie no its under the paint! nice and blue on top ? Theres even lacquer runs on the ends of some panels.. i have a real gift for finding issues, car dealers in the family ?

Its no bother tho, I’ve done more marks and dings blasting through lanes… ??? Just keeping an eye on them for signs of rust! more rust, other rust ?

hitch6742
    Participant

UK - England

About where cables rub, I bought these, in clear, you can get carbon fibre look if you want or do some more searching you might get a close car colour:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bicycle-Decals-MTB-Bike-Frame-Sticker-Rack-Anti-Scratch-Protection-Film-Decor-UK/273803357213?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item3fbff3ac1d:m:mHJJX8_5b4uTLFTpA4_8NGQ

NB 375, Goodrich hoses, RDU cooler (fitted for the hell of it), gas bonnet struts, Mountune RR, hard pipe kit, V1 cat-back….and RS seat covers!

elliot
    Participant

UK - England

Caught mine just in time as others have. Good advice from hitch6742 regarding cable rub protection, have used those before on mtb’s.

FPM 375. MSD 350/380/400

DSC

Tractive Suspension 

777ham
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks @brembo Luckily mine has lightly rubbed the paint,no rust. Have stuck down a thick rubbing strip in the area as others mentioned.

stuartditchburn
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Fitted bonnet struts today.  Signs of convoluted tubing rubbing on the paintwork.  Looks as if this was noticed before, possibly on recall, as black insulating tape has been applied to the area that has been rubbing. I applied red where tubing goes into the wing area.  I would think this would affect every car the way the loom runs.

stuartditchburn
    Participant

UK - Scotland

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Afternoon all!!

Quick update…. Just back from the Bodyshop. The nasty rust patches on inner wing shall be cleaned up, treated and painted and some protection added. The Manager didn’t think the mark on the tailgate was rust but I’m not so sure, that’ll be looked at closer when my RS goes in for the work, I must say it was hard to tell as my Motor was filthy today!! All done under warranty and no questions asked. So it’ll be booked in next time home, late November. ??.

Cheers, Marc.

MY/17, F/White, Forged Black Wheels, Recaro Shell Seats, Diamas SiRamik Glasscoat, H&R Anti-Roll Bars/15mm Spacers, EBC Turbo Brake Discs all round/Yellowstuff Brake Pads, Mountune Air Intake/Recirc Valve/SSC/Blue Turbo Hose Kit and Hard Pipe/Uprated Springs/Short Shifter/Rear Motor Mount/Crank Breather Plate, ETS Intercooler, Milltek 100 Cell Cat, Remus Wolf Inside Exhaust, Litchfield Stage 2 map via Cobb Accessport V3, DSC unit.

bobcat
    Participant

UK - England

@brembo, thanks for the update ?

Honorary Member

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to MORE RUST!!!. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!