MORE RUST!!!

Home Forums Styling Bodywork & Detailing MORE RUST!!!

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Author

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

Evening lads!!

Just to be clear, in case there’s any confusion…. It’s the plastic tubing that is clipped on to the bonnet hinge that causes this issue, NOT the plastic tubing that hangs loose!!

This pic shows the tubing that causes the issue, you can see the rusty marks left on it from where it’s been rubbing away at the inner wing as I drive…. I’ve circled it in RED.
    It’s NOT the tubing I have pointed to with a blue arrow!!

Cheers, Marc.

MY/17, F/White, Forged Black Wheels, Recaro Shell Seats, Diamas SiRamik Glasscoat, H&R Anti-Roll Bars/15mm Spacers, EBC Turbo Brake Discs all round/Yellowstuff Brake Pads, Mountune Air Intake/Recirc Valve/SSC/Blue Turbo Hose Kit and Hard Pipe/Uprated Springs/Short Shifter/Rear Motor Mount/Crank Breather Plate, ETS Intercooler, Milltek 100 Cell Cat, Remus Wolf Inside Exhaust, Litchfield Stage 2 map via Cobb Accessport V3, DSC unit.

tonys
    Participant

UK - England

If you stick the clear protection strip over the damaged paintwork there’s no need to worry too much about what part of the tubing is causing the damage.

OverRev
    Participant

UK - England

brembo – Glad the bodyshop got this sorted out for you Marc, definitely not something you expect to find.

I’ve got to say a big thanks to you mate, as your issue gave me a kick up the rear to get some protective film down in that spot, mine had started to lightly mark the paint, but thankfully, hadn’t gone any further. While I was in there, I went a bit belt and braces and put some down in a couple of other potential rub areas, this clear film looks ok, could be an OE fit.

Like already mentioned earlier in this thread, I used some clear protector film, the same stuff I use on the frame under the chain of my Cyclocross bike.

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

Ive found another area! engine bay brace rusting from between (both sides) FFS???

brembo
    Participant

UK - Scotland

@gm

You’ve definitely got your work cut out for you in 2020 mate!! Just think what other surprises you’ll find when fitting all your upgraded bits?? You might end up with a full strip down, lol!! ??.

Cheers, Marc.

MY/17, F/White, Forged Black Wheels, Recaro Shell Seats, Diamas SiRamik Glasscoat, H&R Anti-Roll Bars/15mm Spacers, EBC Turbo Brake Discs all round/Yellowstuff Brake Pads, Mountune Air Intake/Recirc Valve/SSC/Blue Turbo Hose Kit and Hard Pipe/Uprated Springs/Short Shifter/Rear Motor Mount/Crank Breather Plate, ETS Intercooler, Milltek 100 Cell Cat, Remus Wolf Inside Exhaust, Litchfield Stage 2 map via Cobb Accessport V3, DSC unit.

GM
    Participant

UK - Wales

@brembo ?  tempted, only found as i couldn’t go out in it…. proper banged my head yesterday and wifey won’t let me out to play! was ok to do a call out in bakery tho… think she could see ?

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

Its the coatings used (paint) and probably the steel used aint the best quality.

Coastliner

carl772
    Participant

UK - England

Glad you got it sorted and for the heads up.

Ive just caught mine in time before it got any worse. Same as others posted earlier, small dots of missing paint and a couple that had gone through to the bare metal and rust starting to show. I’ve used Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80, so hopefully that’ll stop the rust and touched it up with a stone chip pen. Just need to flatten it back and get a clear protective film on it now.

grimrobsta
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks for sharing , made me go look ! Just picked up my 68 reg this weekend, mine has rubbed paint off too. Still under warranty so will see if they’ll sort it.

In need of a good clean though as you can tell from photo!

coastliner
    Participant

UK - England

Buying a 68 plate is no guarantee to rustless components. Its a case of keeping an eye on the vulnerable bits and making good where you can.

Coastliner

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by coastliner. Reason: spelling

grimrobsta
    Participant

UK - England

Course not, I’d class it more a design flaw than a rusting component though. Possibly wouldn’t have noticed it if I hadn’t seen this post ..

Pauly Paul
    Participant

I seem to have been lucky so far no rust . ,,,, yet 

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to MORE RUST!!!. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!