MOT or not?

Home Forums Performance General MOT or not?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

chris-neil
    Participant

Australia

I moved to Australia 14 years ago, I remember the yearly MOT’s I had to get my cars through in the UK.

Im a mechanic so I looked after my own cars, my family’s and close friends cars, presenting cars and repairing what ever needed doing.

Now I live in Australia WA.

Cars and trucks don’t have an MOT or any type of yearly check.

Buses do have a yearly Annual Licence check completed by the DOT.

Each state in Australia is different, some have yearly checks, some don’t.

You can own a car in WA for 10 years or 30 years and never have any repairs, servicing or MOT’s. It doesn’t matter.

The police here think they are the Ministry of transport (Department of Transport, Aussie version)

Problem with that is they yellow sticker everything that’s been modified, from lowered suspension to cone air filters, even fibreglass bumpers. Everything here has to be original or cleared by ADR (Australian Design Rules).

To remove a yellow sticker means ‘going over the pits’.

Most young drivers return vehicles to stock, get them passed over the pits, then put the mods back on. It a vicious circle.

funny thing is, most mods can be cleared if you get a cirtificate for every mod.

A modification that has been found and yellow stickered by the local police will be ok if you pay the government. Lol.

I had a yellow sticker about five years ago, it was for replacing stock tail lights for Altezza LED tail lights, they failed ADR apparently, but a certificate made them safe.

As we all do, I love my RS, best car I’ve had in years, but I have to be careful what I MOD.

I would be interested in hearing what your country does or doesn’t do regarding MOT’s or yearly inspections.

Ford for life but I also own a Maserati

frenk
    Participant

Switzerland

Hi Chris, in Switzerland we have the MFK in every state (Motorfahrzeugkontrolle). It is similar to the German TÜV, but a public authority instead of a privately held company. The mandatory tests are every two years, the first is after four years when the car is new. You get an invitation letter with date and hour of the inspection in their workshop. Their verdict is as binding as an order from the prosecutor: if you don’t comply you don’t drive. Period.

I leave it to my dealer to have the car inspected. It costs me one day and 250 extra, but without the hassle. The MFK can be quite severe in their judgement. Once I had a little scratch in the reflector of the tail lights – I had to exchange the whole light assembly for 480 Franks.

Relating to my RS I have still almost two years to go until the first inspection. I will leave it trustfully to my dealer for advice in due time if my mods need a revert to stock.

Cheers, drive safe 😎

Revo Stage 1 – JCR super low seating frame – Mishimoto gas pedal spacer – DSC sport controller

xrjoe
    Participant

USA

Posting from the US here – Every state is different, and in some states, counties and cities have their own rules and ordinances.

Where I am, we required an annual check which is similar to the MOT, but does not involve a rolling road or any driving. It’s only’s a visual and plug-in OBDII test for emissions, and then testing of safety components (lights, wipers, bushes, brakes, etc.). Modifications such as loud exhausts, drop-in HID kits, lowered beyond spec, are reasons to fail but are up to the discretion of the inspector. All vehicles registered must have the safety portion done annually, but only vehicles 2002 and newer are required to have an emissions test.

My race car is garaged in a different state and there are no safety inspections, only emissions tests every 2 years for vehicles 1994 and newer. New vehicles are exempt for 3 years.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to MOT or not?. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!