Motorsport Developments – MSD420 Tuning Progress

Home Forums Performance Electronics/ECU Motorsport Developments – MSD420 Tuning Progress

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

richard31337
    Participant

UK - England

Hi

I’ve done a few threads on forging and MSD map, but I’ve been working with Stewart at Motorsport Developments for some time now on my tune (e-tuning with Cobb AP), and this is a graph from my most recent data log for those interested 🙂

There will be more refinements to the tune as time goes on, and further hardware too (t-map sensors, WG Actuator).

Stewart really is an awesome guy, so this is also a good time to share this feedback. Cannot recommend him and Motorsport Developments enough. He’s so enthusiastic and helpful and happy to explain what he’s doing and why, and share his knowledge for those interested.

JohnD
    Participant

UK - England

A welcome side effect of the MSD Etune aside from refining the base map, is fuel consumption.   On a recent trip I did the M25 from A12 to the M4 and it was SLOW.  The M4 was roadworks for 2/3 of my time on it so had the cruise control doing it’s job.  I watched the average fuel consumption work it’s way to 38mpg!  It dropped to 36.5 when the restrictions ended.  Coming home the M4 was the same but M25 was clear so much quicker.  Overall 220 mile round trip gave 36.5 mpg

OK so it was a very steady run but I’ve never seen figures like that before.  It’s almost embarrassing to mention 38mpg and Focus RS in the same breath!

JohnD

71-bda
    Participant

UK - England

John, thats because its running more ignition advance and a bit leaner mixture.

Ive gazumped you on Std Ford map driving like miss Daisy on A and B roads 30-50mph, light foot larry..

No nothing.

No Mods. No rockers. Just a chunky knob, thats now been replaced by an RS knob innit.

No tackiness.

Std as Ford intended, but with a space saver wheel and jack and nuts and wheel brace. oh.. and flaps, a man has got to have flaps.

Innit?

9designs
    Participant

UK - England

And now it’s all coked and oiled up waiting for a nice big LSPI event to blow the motor……..

Yep Stewart is a great guy, spoke to him a few times,  I’ve still not got around to logging and sending data in though.  Might forge first.

Magnetic Grey with all the best bits

FPM375/COBB/MSD-  Quaife LSD,  DSC+Tractive  Suspension,  HJS200 cell sports cat and MT Cooler. Sync3 upgrade.

Was UK seller for DSC & Tractive  Active suspension !!!

richard31337
    Participant

UK - England

Thanks all. Yes, I had noticed fuel consumption did seem better. And yes the leaner mixture would account for it.

Actually Stewart just sent me a final calibration since the graph I showed. Will have another log session and check the differences.

@9designs
    you can go do a few data logs in 420 map slot for Stewart if you have multi maps (not likely to send a rod flying if only doing the odd logging session) and he can still adjust map which will affect running in 380 slot too. I did this before I forged and it did make a difference. Of course now it’s a lot more 🙂 and hopefully “safely” post forging.

JohnD
    Participant

UK - England

So, having used the two Etunes that come as part of the purchase, what would MSD charge to analyse and refine any further datalogs?

9designs  You really should datalog and get the map revisions.

When I first loaded the MSD420 I wasn’t convinced it was much better than the Mountune 400 map I already had as you had to push the pedal harder to get the performance.  The changes made after datalogging have made noticeable improvements.  Off boost it also feels livelier and more instant.

JohnD

richard31337
    Participant

UK - England

Ok so here is the latest graph. Based upon earlier calibrations Stewart has adjusted advance to just below where knock occurs. Therefore this log does not have any knock, although it’s not on the graph based upon what I’m showing here. Can see all 4 cylinders advance nicely together. Boost pressure is consistent and TIP is getting what is requested. Only one throttle closure and at lower rpm to limit boost and therefore torque at that point.

he and I are very happy with this 🙂

next steps are upgraded t-map sensors and WG actuator for higher boost as currently getting close to safe limits of OEM sensors and WG

enjoy!

JohnD
    Participant

UK - England

How did you get the datalog in graph form?    Mine were in table form and that was what Stu worked with.

JohnD

richard31337
    Participant

UK - England

@JohnD it’s a tool called MegaLogviewer HD. The Lite version is free. It consumes the csv file created that you send to Stewart and displays it. I was using excel and pivot tables and graphs before until Stewart recommended this tool. It’s brilliant! Just open the csv and pick what you want to graph and it auto scales and remembers settings for next log you open. It’s just one of the tools Stewart uses.

Give it a go! 🙂

Benutzername
    Participant

Germany

Great tool this “MegaLogviewer HD”  thx for this!

Did you already upgraded t-map sensors and WG actuator?

would be interesting to see the difference.

richard31337
    Participant

UK - England

Hi

Yes it’s a great tool glad it’s helped you

not done the upgrades yet. Next year probably now.

evolutionstu
    Participant

UK - England

Hi Richard,
    Nice to see you were enjoying the E-Tuning process mate.

Thank you for the kind words. 🙂

Best Regards,
    Stu

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by evolutionstu.

richard31337
    Participant

UK - England

You’re welcome Stu! Will be in touch again next year on the sensors and WG actuator upgrades.

best wishes and merry Christmas!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please login or register to view this page.

Login or register below to contribute to Motorsport Developments – MSD420 Tuning Progress. If you're not already a member then you can register for free!